[Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
allin

Re: [Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Post by allin »

lithopsian wrote:I'll put import/export on the to-do list. It seems simple but would actually be pretty messy. Grabbing all the relevant permissions and exceptions to export without grabbing stuff that isn't related to cookies isn't as obvious as it could be. Importing them again runs the risk of destroying permissions that are important. Not completely replacing existing permissions could be extremely confusing, because having exceptions at different levels of the same domain causes immense headaches (not for Firefox, but for people trying to understand why cookies can or can't get set).

I hope you can do that because I think it's a great feature. If you'll need a beta-tester, just contact me.
Anyway, thank you for this great extention
Grat2

Post by Grat2 »

Thanks for the explanation :)

So basically it concerns file:/// cookies which are mostly not to worry about since there is no privacy concern to be had with HTML pages that are stored on our own HDD, unless they do XmlHttpRequests from file:/// to an external domain, assuming Firefox allows this in the first place which I don't know.

Still, individual file permissions versus allowing any file:/// document to store cookies is an improvement, so I'm glad you enabled it by default and are keeping an eye on Firefox's new implementation (which will deprecate the current one, making Cookie Controller obsolete in this area if you weren't there to update it)

About Synaptics TouchPad, I was not sure it was considered a Trackpad (I don't know exactly what a Trackpad is), that's why I mentioned the name of my equipment. It's not even Apple related.

Ctrl-left-clicking on the Perm button *should* do something special. If you don't currently have an exception set for that web site, it should set the default exception *temporarily*. Temporarily usually means until you close or restart Firefox, although there are hidden preferences to set timed exceptions. It also works on the permissions on the menu. If you have an exception set already, ctrl-clicking does nothing because you can't temporarily remove an exception. Maybe it should do something, be a normal left-click like on the Tidy button?

Good to know about the temporary exception! As for your final question, CTRL+LeftClick is not really part of my habits so I'm not fit to reply. Maybe it would be useful for someone with a Trackpad but I don't know what kind of user experience they have.

An import/export option would be nice indeed! I hope Firefox will soon be ready with IndexedDB permissions as well, so Cookie Controller can cover it.
Those are the only two features I can think of that are really missing.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Cookie Controller should now work with e10s enabled. It sort of worked before, but DOM storage tracking was disabled and there were a few minor glitches. Now everything should work, but is is possible that some things will be slow, perhaps if there are an awful lot of storage items for a page.
XMan77

Post by XMan77 »

Please add a feature to allow cookies for a 3rd party. Cookie Monster has such an option.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

XMan77 wrote:Please add a feature to allow cookies for a 3rd party. Cookie Monster has such an option.

So what's the feature? A list of third party domains that have set (or tried to set) cookies for the current page, with options to create or remove exceptions for them? Seems like it could be useful. Cookie Controller doesn't really handle third part cookies very well at the moment, other than just blocking them.
XMan77

Post by XMan77 »

I'm on site A which has an iframe from site B. Now I somehow have to enable cookies for B. Cookie Monster has a submenu that lists B and allows me to change the permissions. Something like that would be nice in Cookie Controller. Without it I have to look through the inspector and add cookie exceptions manually. That is painful and impossible for normal users.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

I agree. It could be useful.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Cookie Controller v4.2 is now fully multiprocess compatible (for now, who knows by the time it goes live at the end of the year, fingers crossed). Trust me, it is a work of art behind the scenes, but nobody should notice anything except it keeps working. If anything, it should be even smoother than before :)

Bonjour les Francophones. There is now a partial French localisation. You can improve it or complete it at Babelzilla, or just send me the dtd and properties files.

Lastly, something that will affect people. In Firefox 42 (maybe 41?), cookie exceptions are no longer just domain names. They are origins, which include the http or https portion and the port. This means that blocking http://google.com will not block https://google.com (don't shoot the messenger!). Also a cookie permission to allow localhost will not allow localhost:9091 or any other non-standard port. In an ideal world, everyone's exception list will be automatically migrated with reference to their browser history. In practice, this won't always work and some permissions may mysteriously stop working. Cookie Controller will currently use extreme overkill and act on both http and https versions of any permission you request, which should make the transition almost invisible. Obviously it can't add a permission for every port, but it will take account of the port of the current page. In time, I might drop this feature, but for now it would just be too confusing to have different permission settings for http and https versions of the same page, for mixed content, etc.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

In the nightlies and developer version 4.3 is interfering with the ability to duplicate tabs. I disabled all addons and narrowed it down to this one. Can anyone confirm?
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

marty60 wrote:In the nightlies and developer version 4.3 is interfering with the ability to duplicate tabs. I disabled all addons and narrowed it down to this one. Can anyone confirm?

I'll need some more information because I don't see the problem here. Is e10s on or off? Does it happen in a new profile with just Cookie Controller added? Where are the Cookie Controller icons? How are you duplicating the tab? What happens when you try? Is there just one tab to start with or many? And not that I can imagine it would make a difference, but what are the Cookie Controller settings when the duplicate fails?
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Hi, I narrowed it down even further. In a fresh profile your addon does indeed work fine however there is an apparent conflict between yours and NoScript.

If NoScript is disabled then tabs duplicate but if NoScript is enabled along with yours then they don't, there's just a blank New Tab and the URL doesn't load.

Disable only yours while keeping NoScript enabled then it works again. So I think the problem is more with NoScript since it's all messed up with these latest nightly builds.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

I still can't get it here, but weird interactions with NoScript aren't surprising. It hasn't been fully converted to e10s yet. Kind of works, but a known list of stuff doesn't actually work. It uses hundreds of shims and any one of those could be causing a deadlock with Cookie Controller, or itself. Or something even weirder that I can't even imagine ...
Cyberian75

Post by Cyberian75 »

In Firefox v42 x64, this is blocking cookies from some sites despite of white-listing; e.g., afreeca.com, daum.net, etc., which works fine in x86.
Michael
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Cyberian75 wrote:In Firefox v42 x64, this is blocking cookies from some sites despite of white-listing; e.g., afreeca.com, daum.net, etc., which works fine in x86.
I can't reproduce this here. Is this on the same machine, using the same profile? Does CC show the site is allowed to set cookies, but still blocks them?
Cyberian75

Post by Cyberian75 »

Yes and yes.
Michael