XBL/XUL/XPCOM based addons has been marked for depreciation

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
itisomegakai

XBL/XUL/XPCOM based addons has been marked for depreciation

Post by itisomegakai »

Mozilla announced this morning they'll be making some major changes to Firefox Add-Ons, which includes a new extension API that will be largely compatible with the Chrome and Opera web-browsers.

Mozilla is looking to make Firefox Add-Ons work with new technologies, better protect users from adware/spyware, and shorten the time it takes to review add-ons. As part of this, they'll be implementing the new WebExtensions API that is "largely compatible with the model used by Chrome and Opera—to make it easier to develop extensions across multiple browsers." Add-ons will also support Electrolysis for the faster, multi-process version of Firefox.

With Firefox 41, Mozilla will also require all extensions be validated and signed by the browser company. Mozilla will also begin deprecating XUL and XPCOM add-ons.

More details can be found via Mozilla's new blog post out this morning entitled

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons

P.S: They must be loosing momentum fast. Because one of the last reasons to use Firefox over Chrome is the richer add-on library.
Alice0775

Deprecation of XUL, XPCOM, and the permissive add-on model

Post by Alice0775 »

Mozilla have decided on an approximate timeline for the deprecation of XPCOM- and XUL-based add-ons.

see https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08 ... x-add-ons/

So, The reasons to use Firefox has completely disappeared.
dfoulkes

Re: Deprecation of XUL, XPCOM, and the permissive add-on mod

Post by dfoulkes »

Alice0775 wrote:
So, The reasons to use Firefox has completely disappeared.

I don't code extensions... used to code stuff a very long time ago... but have been out of it for so long that I'm looked at as being ancient :lol:

But can you expand on the above quote please?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Wowser!!!
What the hell are "they" smoking, drinking, eating over there?

After reading all the responses in the blog on what "they" intend to restrict/re-design (whatever), then I think that

"they" are absolutely crazy.

viz; > https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08 ... x-add-ons/

To make Firefox exactly like Chrome/Opera & even MS' "Edge" is pure stupidity.

A quote from "Gabriel Ivanica"...
Firefox is all about the customization and the power it gives you to make your browsing experience how you’d like.
Take that, and there you go… A shinny browser that does nothing more than it’s competitors.

Why use Firefox when all it is, is a look-a-like with all the others?

Absolutely nuts.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
therube

Re: Mozilla new extension API that be compatible With Chrome

Post by therube »

Be sure & read the comments, but we know that already.

What I had written earlier (& then came to these parts to see if what was being said was even real):

> Sounds like commercialization ($$) to me.
> Sounds like the nails are lining up (at least for the old guard).

And my thoughts in that regard were that most "old timers" will dislike the change, dislike the limitations that may be invoked (i.e., Mozilla is putting the nails in their coffins). As in old time extension developers aren't going to go for that crap, & will simply say, "screw it" & be done with FF.

And then there is the other "their", & that may be that Mozilla is putting yet another nail in its own coffin.

But then I"m thinking, that while "old timers" may say screw it, the new guard, monetizers (commercialization), may jump at the prospect of "catching more fish" & will welcome the change.

That said, I know next to nothing of these technologies, & what isn't made clear (to a lay person like myself) in the blog is what the implications actually mean to the end user (& I am not talking about any "signing" aspect of things) & also how it may or may not affect other Mozilla based offshoots (like SeaMonkey & others).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

(Eh, seems we're going to end up with any number of threads on this topic. Would be nice if they could be consolidated...? Or at least all ending up in one particular forum, be it here or builds, or extensions...?)

Mozilla new extension API that be compatible With Chrome

Edit: Thanks.
Last edited by therube on August 21st, 2015, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Sorry 'bout the move etc...

Looks a tad messy after the merge but at least they're all in the one place. Image
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
nabucco

Post by nabucco »

FF end up using Chromium, as did Opera.
Google is winning the battle
myzar74

Post by myzar74 »

Seppuku (切腹?, "stomach-cutting", "abdomen-cutting") is a form of Japanese ritual suicide by disembowelment
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

myzar74 wrote:Seppuku (切腹?, "stomach-cutting", "abdomen-cutting") is a form of Japanese ritual suicide by disembowelment

Yeah, it's one of those 'loss of face' type things. Seems a bit of an over the top reaction to what (invariably) will be just a temporary embarrassment situation.

Never a great idea to be too prideful. Just learn by your mistakes, vow to never make the same mistake again and move on. Got to be better than gutting yourself like a fish. Ask any fish.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LoudNoise

Re: XBL/XUL/XPCOM based addons has been marked for depreciat

Post by LoudNoise »

Retitled.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mdew

Post by mdew »

Which popular extensions are affected by this change?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

mdew wrote:Which popular extensions are affected by this change?

All extensions will be affected! All existing extensions will need to be rewritten; very likely that many features will be lost, with few new ones added; Firefox will be homogenized and will work more like Chrome than like Firefox as we know it now.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
itisomegakai

Post by itisomegakai »

I was really just thinking about firefox making it compatible with others, not by breaking itself apart...
Does it really need such an invasive change to just make it work with chrome addons? Didn't firefox get more power addons than chrome?

If I wanted to use Chrome's add ons, I would use Chrome. XUL is an old tech, it gives a lot of flexibilities. If Mozilla provide no alternative to XUL, things like Firefox's UI customization will be deprecated as well. You won't be able to use Stylish to change Firefox interface any longer!

ABP will no longer provide features like live resources monitoring and easy rule creation. This is the reason I still prefer ABP over uBlock.

There are plenty more xul add-ons that make Firefox superior. If Mozilla indeed will follow Chrome, there's no longer a reason to use Firefox. I can see a major fork effort taking place if that's the case.

Mozilla's other browser they are working on will use HTML for its interface, maybe that will be used to resolve XUL add-ons compatibility. But that's years away.

While WebExtensions may be great for developers who develop cross-platform, it puts lots of burden on active Firefox developers who have their hands full getting their add-ons to work under e10s. I think it was the Greasemonkey developer who mentioned that he spend most of the past nine months to get his extension working under e10s.

Add-on signing without override is a bad idea. Firefox was always about choice and this is everything but.

Deprecation has two core issues as far as I'm concerned. First, it will break add-ons. I don't doubt it that Mozilla will work together with developers to implement many needed methods and functions in WebExtensions (like it does with NoScript) but the end result will still be that some add-ons won't work anymore (due to them being abandoned, developer not wanting to put up with it, time constraints, or simply because Mozilla decides not to implement the needed functions).

Second, and this is related, the requirement to rewrite add-ons to remain compatible. So, even if API functions exist to port an add-on, developers have to invest time to rewrite the code. Some won't or can't, and abandoned add-ons that still work will remain incompatible.

Also the technology is one of the best(newer does not mean better!!)

So why such an invasive change?

Its whats keeping FF alive for now.

I think its time for change, I vote to replace the entire Mozilla development team or at least sack who ever thought this was a good idea.

There are somethings you just don't do like commit application suicide this change will kill Firefox if this change lands i will no longer develop addons for Firefox, I have bitten the bullet with forced signed but can't swallow such disregard for users of Firefox and addon developers.

I think every Firefox user needs to stand up together united and say NO If the millions of Firefox users uninstalled and stopped using anything Mozilla for 1-2 weeks it would send an undeniable shock wave to the Mozilla corporation.

Mozilla used to stand for something i used to be proud to use and promote Mozilla products, Mozilla we matter don't you forget you would be nothing if it was not for us users, We have a voice, We are many and we will be heard!

Everyone needs to in the coming weeks and months stand up and say NO!

If you look at how they implemented Australis, the initial design documents, bugzilla reports, email list, discussions on feedback in their meeting notes, they just basically ignored it all and the Australis team did whatever they wanted even when some of the criticism came from other departments at Mozilla.

Also earliest being December is not a long way off. Especially when they didn't finalize the specs of the new API yet. How long will addon developers have? A few months with a final draft of the api? Addons take months/years to make and maintain. Giving only a couple months will seriously alienate developers...those who are willing to rewrite their extensions to meet the arbitrary deadline of 6-12 weeks after e10 drops.

PS: I'm a Firefox user and I would not consider moving to Chrome (in case anyone wonders). I'd rather tweak Firefox instead :)
LewS

Post by LewS »

Regrettably, most users (I would guess over 95%?) will not
know about any of these changes until they get the stable
update. It was that way with Australis too.