keyconfig 20110522

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
RDL

Re: keyconfig 20110522

Post by RDL »

From the description, the advanced settings in the following look like a possible substitiute. I would hope to disable all the other features.

It's signed!!

My Keyboard Navigator :: Add-ons for Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... navigator/

However, as you will see from my review, I've been unable to access the settings at all. If you are interested but have the same experience, perhaps you'd like to email the developer. A shower of requests just might produce a usable solution for us.
WCityMike

Post by WCityMike »

If need be, evidently Firefox will be releasing "unbranded" versions of its stable branch that won't require extension signing, so we would be able to continue using Keyconfig using that branch.

What are my options if I want to install unsigned extensions in Firefox?

The Developer Edition and Nightly versions of Firefox will have a setting to disable signature enforcement. There will also be special unbranded versions of Release and Beta that will have this setting, so that add-on developers can work on their add-ons without having to sign every build.

How will the unbranded versions of Firefox work?

They will work just like Firefox, with two differences: they will have a setting to disable mandatory signature checks, and they will not have the Firefox name and logo (instead using a generic name and logo). They will be available in the en-US locale only.
RDL

Post by RDL »

.. and perhaps this is the bug to vote for (further comments would probably be discounted as bugspam).

Voting can be done near the top lefthand corner, next to "Importance"

972662 – Provide a Customization Panel for Keyboard Shortcuts
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=972662
RDL

Post by RDL »

Well, there's now a new version of

My Keyboard Navigator :: Add-ons for Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... navigator/

and it works - so I was able to have a look at what it does. Definitely not a direct replacement for Keyconfig as it doesn't
operate on keyboard shortcuts. However, it does provide an interesting facility which at least some Keyconfig users might find a useful alternative.

Herewith part of my review for the extension. It could not replace Keyconfig for me but I could believe I might adjust to it for at least some of my uses, particularly ones I will need to replace some MrTech Toolkit functions, such as editing various config files. However it will not serve where I need to modify existing menu item actions such that, even with 'Menu Wizard' I also have to disable the predefined key binding and supply a replacement.

RDL wrote:This is a very interesting extension, since it allows one to replace use of keyboard shortcuts with keywords, each of which is associated with a menu or button action or a piece of user specified javascript. Pressing the extension's single selected hotkey and then typing the first letter of a user defined keyword will produce a prompt which lists all keywords starting with that letter. Typing sufficient subsequent letters allows one to complete selection of the keyword and its associated action will then be carried out.

It does not allow one to modify or disable existing conventional keyboard shortcuts or to define new ones. It provides an alternative system. I found it well worth investigating and, although I think I prefer those conventional keyboard shortcuts, I also need to consider how far 'My Keyboard Navigator' could be used to reduce my problems if I lost the use of Keyconfig.
Last edited by RDL on August 17th, 2015, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RDL

Post by RDL »

Keysnail, which Dorando linked to on page one of this forum, seems to work really well for defining keyboard shortcuts, even when this overrides an established one where Keyconfig would require you to disable the pre-existing binding and then define your own under a different name

Home · mooz/keysnail Wiki · GitHub
https://github.com/mooz/keysnail/wiki

The developer is currently seeking signed status.

will a signed version of keysnail be made available before firefox pulls the plug · Issue #168 · mooz/keysnail · GitHub
https://github.com/mooz/keysnail/issues ... -130209197

So far, so very good.

However (of course) it does not seem to provide a listing of all existing detectable keyboard shortcuts.

Does anyone know of any extension which does? Some list a set of predefined 'known' shortcuts but I have not yet found anything that detects and lists all the currently detectable ones the same way that Keyconfig does.

Incidentally - Keysnail is much bigger than Keyconfig.
Springtime

Post by Springtime »

Well, being signed will be the least of the trouble with the announcement of the WebExtensions API.

keyconfig is such a essential addon that it would be criminal to see it's functionality unsupported in future versions.
WCityMike

Post by WCityMike »

True enough, Springtime. Of course, Firefox is getting such an extensive lambasting in its comments that one could only hope it might dissuade them. I don't carry much hope for that, but who knows ...
RDL

Post by RDL »

Well, just for information, Keysnail has now been signed. To confirm, I downloaded the latest version and it contains the required metadata folder.

will a signed version of keysnail be made available before firefox pulls the plug · Issue #168 · mooz/keysnail · GitHub
https://github.com/mooz/keysnail/issues ... -133644517
Springtime

Post by Springtime »

RDL wrote:Well, just for information, Keysnail has now been signed. To confirm, I downloaded the latest version and it contains the required metadata folder.

https://github.com/mooz/keysnail/issues ... -133644517

Can Keysnail use multiple sequential keys to bind a hotkey? It's something I've always wanted in Firefox coming from Opera Presto.

So for example: pressing the keys p i n one after another could be bound to pin/unpin a tab depending on the state. In Opera this was nicknamed mnemonic shortcuts.
RDL

Post by RDL »

Yes. See again the page I linked to previously!

Home · mooz/keysnail Wiki · GitHub

https://github.com/mooz/keysnail/wiki#u ... -sequences
Springtime

Post by Springtime »

RDL wrote:Yes. See again the page I linked to previously!

This is fantastic, thank you! This has been a feature I've wanted to see for years in Firefox.

Btw, is there any way to hide the bottom-left popup element that displays when typing in a sequence? Not a big deal but thought I'd ask.

RDL

Post by RDL »

Springtime wrote:
RDL wrote:Yes. See again the page I linked to previously!

This is fantastic, thank you! This has been a feature I've wanted to see for years in Firefox.
Btw, is there any way to hide the bottom-left popup element that displays when typing in a sequence? Not a big deal but thought I'd ask.

Sorry, I really don't know. I've only looked at how well this could stand in for Keyconfig.

Perhaps you will find more by visiting that homepage, exploring and, if you can't find the answer, raising a request with the developer.
nigelle

Post by nigelle »

I have read all I can find on github on keysnail but I have not found how to enter the combination of keys and the JavaScript code I entered in keyconfig.
Can you give an example please ?
Springtime

Post by Springtime »

RDL wrote:Sorry, I really don't know. I've only looked at how well this could stand in for Keyconfig.

Perhaps you will find more by visiting that homepage, exploring and, if you can't find the answer, raising a request with the developer.

Will do, cheers.

nigelle wrote:I have read all I can find on github on keysnail but I have not found how to enter the combination of keys and the JavaScript code I entered in keyconfig.
Can you give an example please ?

I've only tried with sequential key combos so far as I use it in combination with keyconfig, but here is one example:

In the Keysnail preferences under the Keybindings tabs there's a New button. Click that and the command that would normally be used in keyconfig can then be copied between the curly brackets and the hotkey in the 'Key' input box.

Selecting the 'Global' mode will enable the hotkey in all contexts, whereas the 'View' mode will only activate the hotkey when a textbox isn't selected. The 'Caret' mode presumably only enables a hotkey when a textbox is selected.
Last edited by Springtime on August 24th, 2015, 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Springtime

Post by Springtime »

edit: double post.