buttons not working on certain websites...

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
davexnet

buttons not working on certain websites...

Post by davexnet »

I've noticed on certain sites, buttons that are supposed to do some thing (for example, play a sound file) don't do anything.
I thought it was a problem with javascript, but I'm not really sure.

I'm using Firefox on an Android (Kitkat) phone . Here is an example where it doesn't work. http://podiobooks.com/title/a-coffee-crusade/

There is a red button which is supposed to play the audio when selected. Nothing happens. Works fine in Firefox on the Desktop.

Thanks for any info.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/9yzulzjiwfu8b5b/play_button.JPG#
JanH

Re: buttons not working on certain websites...

Post by JanH »

Okay, audio playback not working is now bug 1188873.

I've also encountered two further issues while testing on Nightly, see bug 1188870 and bug 1188871.
davexnet

Post by davexnet »

I read the bug reports, fascinating to read the programmers comments as they discuss the problem
Looks like it may have been fixed. Any time estimate as to when the fixes make it into the
product we can download from the Google play store?

Or is there another build I can download somewhere that has the fix?
TIA for an info.
JanH

Post by JanH »

Sorry to disappoint you, but so far, only a few other bugs which came up during testing have been fixed. Bug 1188873 itself is currently still open.

For bugs where a patch has been landed, you can see which versions are affected and which ones have been fixed via the tracking flags, i.e. "status-firefox43: fixed" and the like. "Fixed" means the patch has landed in the source code tree, and "verified" means that someone besides the patch developer has checked that the bug has indeed been fixed.

Planned release dates can be found here.

Firefox Beta is available on the Play Store as well, while Aurora and Nightly versions can be found here. Unless you have some weird and/or old phone, you'll probably want to use the mozilla-aurora-android-api-11 directories for Aurora, respectively the mozilla-central-android-api-11 directories for Nightly.
davexnet

Post by davexnet »

Hi JanH - I believe you were one of the programmers posting in the bug reports?

Have a look at this JPG, it shows the red "button" top right, that doesn't work, as well as
(middle-left) some direct links to the actual mp3's. Clicking on those "download episodes"
links works properly, ie. the mp3's start to play directly in Firefox.

I looked again at the bug reports, and it seems to be implying there is some thing wrong
with the incoming data. Why is it working when the link is direct but not when going through that
red button?

Dave
http://www.mediafire.com/view/rbo0qjazht7521j/podio.JPG
JanH

Post by JanH »

I'm not directly a developer, just a normal user contributing on Bugzilla in the hope of getting some bugs fixed.
In any case thanks for the screenshot, because it made me test with "Paraffin Winter" as well.

It looks like
  • on FF40 and below, for some reason or other podiobooks.com's integrated player doesn't work, however directly playing the MP3 from the download list works [1]
  • one of the changes during the rewriting of the MP3 decoder [2] landed in FF41, and it looks like from that point onwards, podiobook.com's integrated player started working for some audio books
… only for some reason there's something weird about the audio files from A Coffee Crusade which makes the new MP3 decoder fall over.

Firefox 41 will be released near the end of September, however if you want to, you can try the Beta from the Play Store and have a look yourself - at least "Paraffin Winter" should be working.

[1] at least as long as you're not on Android 5.x, where MP3 playback is generally broken and is currently in the process of being fixed
[2] to make it work on Android 5.x amongst other reasons
Last edited by JanH on August 24th, 2015, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davexnet

Post by davexnet »

HI JanH,
I'll give the beta a try. My phone is a no-contract Tracfone, Alcatel onetouch pop icon.
Fairly low end Android phone running KitKat.

All of these webpages work fine in Chrome.
Thanks
JanH

Post by JanH »

JanH wrote:I'm not directly a developer, just a normal user contributing on Bugzilla in the hope of getting some bugs fixed.

Okay, this is strictly speaking no longer true, as the patch for the remaining problem (bug 1197985) has been contributed by yours truly.
Unfortunately it came a bit too late to make it into the current Beta, however it will be contained in FF42. The next Firefox release is due in approximately two weeks, so if you remain on the Beta channel, you'll receive it relatively soon.