You have been banned form this board until...

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
mozillazinefor19#34_

You have been banned form this board until...

Post by mozillazinefor19#34_ »

Last week I started getting "You have been banned form this board until..." web pages.
The dates seemed to change: August 30, 2015, Tomorrow, September 5th, 2015.
The date changed sometimes when I refreshed the page.

I followed the procedure (Type "anything" in the Search Boards...) on the "You have been banned"
web page with no success. Since I could not access mozillazine, I couldn't read any of the
doc (FAQ) to find a site admin to contact. I did use google cache, but there didn't seem to be
a contact... other than the forum itself, but the forum just said I was banned.

I'm not a frequent user of mozillazine, but many of the addon developers use the forum as support. Last week I
was going to leave a feature suggestion for an addon. I never got to because Firefox 40.0.2 kept crashing.
I have since reinstalled 39.0.3, and no more crashes. When it crashed though, I would just reconnect to mozillazine,
and I got the message you are banned. Did this cause the problem? I believe it started around 8/20. I kept images of the web page.

I believe I know the operating rules for the forum. If I missed something please let me know.
James

Re: You have been banned form this board until...

Post by James »

If you were able to connect after refreshing then your IP was not really banned. You met George the forum Gremlin doing this with your IP briefly.
mozillazinefor19#34_

Re: You have been banned form this board until...

Post by mozillazinefor19#34_ »

James wrote:If you were able to connect after refreshing then your IP was not really banned. You met George the forum Gremlin doing this with your IP briefly.

Briefly equals a week? :-) I refreshed and I just got a different "Banned to date". This occurred for a week, ~8/20 to 8/27.

The web page text said (the X's went from 8/30, 8/26, tomorrow, 9/5):
You have been banned from this board until XXXXXX, XX XX.

If you believe this is an error, please try closing your borwser and clearing your cache.

If you still have an issue, and believe it's an error, put the word "anything" in the Search Boards text box and click Go. Click on any
result and then click on Board Index. The problem should go away.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

Okay. It was strange and awkward though, because:
  1. I never met mozillazine.org's George, so when he said "A ban has been issued on your IP address", I believed him.
  2. I was trying to be a nice guy and follow an addon developer's request to provide feedback/suggestion on the mozillazine forum when I was banned. Firefox crashed, I relogged on, was banned.
  3. Firefox 40.0.2 was crashing, so browsing was painful to begin with, and I was working on debugging it.
  4. The mozillazine.org's "You have been banned" web page, said "If you believe this is an error" do these things. I did and it did not make a difference.
  5. The mozillazine.org's banned date changed, shorter, than longer, then shorter again. The web page feedback was inconsistent.
  6. It was a catch-22 situation: any help seemed to send me back to mozillazine.org, but I couldn't access mozillazine.org
  7. There was no other mozillazine.org contact info.
  8. In the end, it went on for a week. But I didn't know that beforehand because the date kept changing.