Windows 10 launch, and "fun" little bits

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Re: Windows 10 launch, and "fun" little bits

Post by jimfitter »

Omega X wrote:Any driver problems?

Nope,except for the free Comodo firewall. I've reverted to the Windows firewall until I can figure out the problem.
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened. - Terry Pratchett
Metalstream

Post by Metalstream »

Not likely but I've noted that DX12 is forcing my nVidia gpu more, i.e. rising its temperature while gaming.
"I love God, He's my favourite fictional character." - Homer J. Simpson
jefboyardee

Post by jefboyardee »

jimfitter wrote:

Nope,except for the free Comodo firewall.

Same problem when I did a clean install, but when I did it as an update, Comodo worked fine, although it required a reboot.

That was the only hitch I had upgrading to Windows 10. But Windows 10, to me, isn't worth upgrading to. I've since restored Win7... a few times.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Some problems recognizing Fuji cameras
Last edited by malliz on August 28th, 2015, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
earther

Post by earther »

Sorry. Duplicate.
Last edited by earther on August 28th, 2015, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
earther

Post by earther »

BIG problem with privacy and surveillance:

http://investmentwatchblog.com/a-traffi ... dows-10-2/

This is when "free' has a HUGE price tag. The sheeple won't care though . . .
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

earther wrote:BIG problem with privacy and surveillance:

http://investmentwatchblog.com/a-traffi ... dows-10-2/

This is when "free' has a HUGE price tag. The sheeple won't care though . . .

There are a few settings changes the average user can make -- http://www.techradar.com/us/news/softwa ... ow-1301257

...and at some point I'm sure third party software vendors will step up to the plate--as they did with Window 8 (start menu, etc.)--and offer something, call it "Windows 10 Privacy Guard," that will disable all of the built in key-logger and telemetry provisions, and warn users if MS tries to re-enable them.

Still, I can see why people are concerned, especially since we don't know who, at this point, the eventual recipients of this data will be, or the implications. As Microsoft states in the terms of usage: "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to."

Anyone with an overactive imagination can come up with a horror story scenario. For instance, certain words you've used in an email to a friend could, in theory, be flagged and sent to the appropriate authorities that would put you on a "watched" list:
"What SEX is the child? I wish I could be WITH you. Is it a BOY or GIRL..." or "the play we saw was a BOMB. Worst HIGH SCHOOL play ever...." :-"

OF
earther

Post by earther »

Unbelievable that anyone would defend this invasion by MS. Your solution - third party software to 'fix' things - just compounds the problem of proprietary apps running who knows what on your computer (which isn't really yours anymore -everything on it now belongs to MS et al).
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

earther wrote:Unbelievable that anyone would defend this invasion by MS. Your solution - third party software to 'fix' things - just compounds the problem of proprietary apps running who knows what on your computer (which isn't really yours anymore -everything on it now belongs to MS et al).

I'm in NO way, shape or form defending MS. While I wrote part of the post "tongue-n-cheek," the scenario I described where the built in MS Windows 10 key logger flags certain words IS possible, since I doubt that there will be any human interface regarding the information MS tracks. I'm on Windows 7 right now, and, as I've stated in other posts, have NO intention of "upgrading" to Windows 10. If trends continue, my next PC will probably run some other OS.

I also don't consider third party software to be a "solution," and deliberately did not use that word in my post. I do feel, though, that some third party vendors WILL offer what they "claim" is a solution, as they did with Windows 8. I have to say, though, that my personal experience with third party software has not been the greatest. (That includes third party vendors that supply software to OEM software packages.)

OF
Last edited by Ortho_Fan on August 28th, 2015, 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

How about NOT taking this thread off topic to score points. Its not here for fanboys of either sort.
Take it here
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2951513
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

malliz wrote:How about NOT taking this thread off topic to score points. Its not here for fanboys of either sort.
Take it here
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2951513

Many thanks for the link. I didn't see that one. Didn't mean to take the string off topic, but I'm not really sure what the topic is about -- "fun little bits." I initially responded to earther's post, which was about MS snooping. If my posts are off topic, please flag them so they can be removed.

OF
(PS, I'm not a fanboy of anything except Orthos.)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Locking this one in favor of this: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2951513
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."