64 bit Seamonkey builds for Windows

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
grunnsat

64 bit Seamonkey builds for Windows

Post by grunnsat »

To my surprise I noticed that there are 64 bit Seamonkey versions for Windows available as nightly builds.

First of all, thank you for these 64 bit versions!

I installed the 2.37 version, and it is much faster then the 32 bit 2.35 version (the present production release). That may have something to do with the fact that I always have many tabs open.

When do you plan to officially release the 64 bit versions, and will they replace the 32 bit version as the standard version? Since Windows 7, 64 bit windows versions are standard, so I suppose 64 bit applications should be standard too.
therube

Re: 64 bit Seamonkey builds for Windows

Post by therube »

> I noticed that there are 64 bit Seamonkey versions for Windows available as nightly builds

Where?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
grunnsat

Post by grunnsat »

therube

Post by therube »

> there are 64 bit Seamonkey versions for Windows

there are [unofficial] 64 bit Seamonkey versions for Windows [built by ~akalla]

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
grunnsat

Post by grunnsat »

Yes indeed. I just don't understand why there are no official 64 bit versions. By now 64 bit applications should be the standard, instead we still see lots of 32 bit applications. I started working with a 64 bit operating system 20 years ago, it's about time we make the final move on Windows.
antoniosk

Post by antoniosk »

One of the reasons is that a 64 bit browser needs 64 bit plugins. Some popular plugins, i.e. Adobe Flash have only a 32 bit version.
See here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2519507
grunnsat

Post by grunnsat »

I just checked Flash, it works with this 64 bit Seamonkey. Other 32 bit plugins may work as well.
grunnsat

Post by grunnsat »

The HTML validator doesn't work, it needs a 64 bit library.
therube

Post by therube »

Eh, a thread from 2012 is a wee bit dated.

Flash [Windows] bundles both 32 & 64-bit dll's in its installer, & installs one, or both, as appropriate.
grunnsat

Post by grunnsat »

That explains why Flash is working. I can't imagine that someone who is developing a plugin should not be able to supply a 64 bit version.
James

Post by James »

grunnsat wrote:Yes indeed. I just don't understand why there are no official 64 bit versions. By now 64 bit applications should be the standard, instead we still see lots of 32 bit applications. I started working with a 64 bit operating system 20 years ago, it's about time we make the final move on Windows.

Win64 builds you mean as there are 64-bit Releases for Mac OSX and sort of Linux as they are en-US builds built on same machine but no other locale. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.35/contrib/

Even Firefox does not have a Win64 build for Release yet. Currently the target is for Firefox 42.0 if they can get sandbox issues with Flash Player fixed. Bug#1185532

Once Win64 Firefox is Released then maybe the SeaMonkey community will look into it. However Firefox has had Win64 builds on the Nightly, Aurora and more recently on Beta (since 37.0b2) channels for a while now. Though the SeaMonkey community (not a Mozilla product) had a lot of issues just getting the SeaMonkey 2.35 Release out until recently.

With Firefox you need 64-bit Windows 7, 8, 10 to run Win64 builds (since Fx 36 I think it was) as the 64-bit Windows XP, Vista and servers cannot run Win64 Firefox in last while. So these users need to use 32-bit builds. It will likely be the same for SeaMonkey once there are Win64 builds.
grunnsat

Post by grunnsat »

Yes, of course I mean Win64 builds, that is the subject of this thread., and I am very much aware of the 64 bit Linux and MacOS versions.

I'm also aware that there is still no 64 bit Firefox version, in my view we should have had one years ago (Windows 7 era). But I'm glad it's on the roadmap now.

This: "Once Win64 Firefox is Released then maybe the SeaMonkey community will look into it" I don't understand. I'm running a 64 bit version of 2.37 now, so far without any problems. Apparently one developer is able to produce these 64 bit versions, that makes me hope it can't be such a big deal to go to 64 bit.

XP is very much end-of-life, Vista almost AFAIK, and their 64 bit versions have always been a bit obscure. So it really doesn't matter if a 64 bit version of Seamonkey doesn't run on those old Windows versions.
James

Post by James »

You can download source and build a Win64 version yes but that does not mean they are stable or ready for Release. Other then by way of building Win64 by user or using a third-party build there has not been much Win64 SeaMonkey testing yet (compared to Firefox) as none of the channels have Win64 builds yet.

Its taken Mozilla this long to be close to having Win64 for Firefox Release due to various hurdles (and priorities) as just being able to build it is not enough. The SeaMonkey community does not have the resources that Mozilla has so it may unfortunately take a while to get to Win64 Releases.
grunnsat

Post by grunnsat »

Well, so far I'm happy! Haven't seen any issues yet, that is encouraging. Of course I don't have a test suite to test everything, but at the moment I have no complaints. It's running better then the 32 bit 2.35 production version, less problems with speed etc.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

grunnsat wrote:Yes, of course I mean Win64 builds, that is the subject of this thread., and I am very much aware of the 64 bit Linux and MacOS versions.

I'm also aware that there is still no 64 bit Firefox version, in my view we should have had one years ago (Windows 7 era). But I'm glad it's on the roadmap now.

This: "Once Win64 Firefox is Released then maybe the SeaMonkey community will look into it" I don't understand. I'm running a 64 bit version of 2.37 now, so far without any problems. Apparently one developer is able to produce these 64 bit versions, that makes me hope it can't be such a big deal to go to 64 bit.

XP is very much end-of-life, Vista almost AFAIK, and their 64 bit versions have always been a bit obscure. So it really doesn't matter if a 64 bit version of Seamonkey doesn't run on those old Windows versions.

there's no "official" win64 Firefox version released yet, grunnsat. there are nightly, developer (aurora) & beta builds of 64-bit firefox for windows from mozilla but not "stable" release builds of win64 firefox as that won't happen until at least Firefox 42, though Mozilla may change their mind and postpone the win64 release builds of firefox til 2016.

and Microsoft will end support for Windows Vista on April 2017.