SeaMonkey 2.35 compared to 2.33.1

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
R.N. Folsom

SeaMonkey 2.35 compared to 2.33.1

Post by R.N. Folsom »

My wife's Lenovo ThinkPad T530 laptop reports that she should upgrade her SeaMonkey to 2.35. My Dell Precision M4700 laptop has not received a message that I should upgrade to SeaMonkey 2.35, from my current 2.33.1.

After browsing around the SeaMonkey website, I found the following window, and put it into Thornsoft's ClipMate:
"URL irc://moznet/seamonkey Mode +cnrt Users 68, 2@, 8%, 3+
Topic YES! REJOICE! SeaMonkey 2.35 and 2.38b1 are out! || SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite! || Blog: http://blog.seamonkey-project.org/ || Logs: http://logs.glob.uno/?c=seamonkey || All Trees CLOSED due to bug 1114876"

My questions are:

1) What does "All Trees CLOSED due to bug 1114876" mean? I don't know what a "Tree" is in this context.

2) What are the advantages of SeaMonkey 2.35 compared to SeaMonkey 2.33.1?

3) What are the disadvantages of SeaMonkey 2.35 compared to SeaMonkey 2.33.1?

4) When did SeaMonkey 2.35 become available? Is that enough time to get 2.35 bugs out?

Thanks for any suggestions or other help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
removed the email address-Ln
patrickjdempsey

Re: SeaMonkey 2.35 compared to 2.33.1

Post by patrickjdempsey »

1. It would have helped if you actually quoted the text or linked to exactly the page where you read "all trees closed". Basically, in Mozilla developer parlance, the "tree" is the entire build and release structure. The "nightlies" come from the "trunk" and the releases from from various branches of the trees. For some time now, there have been no releases because Mozilla changed the Windows build environment and didn't update the SeaMonkey build machines. So there have been Nightlies and automated builds of other branches for OSX and Linux. In order to get the build environment updated they had to completely shut down everything for a few weeks.

2./3. Security updates, fixed find bar, etc. There is a list linked to at https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/2015 ... mplements/ but it requires a Bugzilla account and I can't remember my dang password since they forced me to change it.

4. It just came out this week. There are all kinds of reasons why you weren't prompted, such as having automatic updates disabled or a different OS.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

There's actually some great fixes in this version. Just because builds have been frozen doesn't mean the devs have been idle! Here's a list of some of the more noticeable UI changes:

- Show bookmarks sidebar panel in non-browser windows
- Add search suggestions to the DuckDuckGo search engine
- Make search engine alias editable - (I can't actually get this to work.)
- Fixed "View -> Page Info: Copy"
- Findbar result listeners sometimes missing / Find bar no longer opens with autostart or with / or ' keys
- Need to refactor SeaMonkey Preferences and UI because Bug 530209 replaced the browser.urlbar.default.behavior preference with a more flexible scheme.
- Add a menuitem in the bookmarks context menu to "open in a private window".
- Extend help for tracking protection by descriptions for new notification bar and its preference
- Inputting 29th Feb as a birthday in the addressbook contact replaces it with 1st Mar. / Some birthdays are off by one day in Thunderbird's addressbook
- The Properties button and context menuitem should be disabled when multiple cards are selected.
- Make From header editable per-message
- Fixed pictures shown in newsgroup posting bodies
- Display-name with comma in it does not get properly quoted in From: field
- Cannot Print from Composer and other <editor> elements
- Add some UI to easily insert mathematical symbols into the LaTeX input box
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Patrick Dempsey:

Since I am considering upgrading from SeaMonkey 2.33.1, thanks for the list of new features in SeaMonkey 2.35 --- with "Make search engine alias editable - (I can't actually get this to work.)" as an exception.

I am guessing that everything else you list is a SeaMonkey improvement, and not a problem, despite the wording in "Cannot Print from Composer and other <editor> elements."

I have one additional concern about SeaMonkey 2.35, posted at the end of SM 2.35 Address Book Change [http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2960195], about whether SeaMonkey 2.35 would damage or delete my SeaMonkey 2.33.1 Address Book. So far I have not received a usable answer to that question.

R.N. Folsom, at
xxxxxxxxxxxx - at - redshift.com
Last edited by LIMPET235 on September 10th, 2015, 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Email addy edited.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

R.N. Folsom wrote:...about whether SeaMonkey 2.35 would damage or delete my SeaMonkey 2.33.1 Address Book.

The simple answer is - no, it wouldn't. Not only is mine fine, but an update blowing up people's stuff not only tends to catch the eye of the testers but also you just wouldn't release a version that did that.

The last version of anything that whacked stuff was *I think* the 24 hour release of Firefox 2.0.0.2 and the famous 'You wrecked my Passwords' scandal of 2007(?).

Anyway, with SM updates happening so rarely (a 'good' thing, in my book) it's not hard to back up your entire profile prior to updating, if you have concerns. You're on Win7, so SM Menu > Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory and click the button next to it. (Open Folder or whatever) .... your entire SM profile will then appear in a Windows Explorer window and you then just close SeaMonkey, copy that lot, paste it somewhere safe (on a flashdrive is good) and you're done.

In theory, you can just wait a few months and sees what happens, but really you'll be no wiser than you are now. Any major problems on a release become apparent with hours or days of release and this one has been fine.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Yes, these are all improvements, I just copied the names of the bugs. So the "Cannot Print" one means now printing finally works there... it's been broken for many years.

If you are hesitant about updating, you should definitely make a backup of your entire profile. As long as you create a full backup, then there's nothing that cannot be restored.