Attachments fill up the Window

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
slamberg

Attachments fill up the Window

Post by slamberg »

I receive a digest and each message appears as an attachment. The attachment window fills the entire window, except for the address block and the messages cannot be read. Netscape has the attachments listed in a small box on the right which does not interfer with the message space. How do I close the Attachment window in Thunderbird or get the window to shrink in some way so that messages can be read?
Thanks, STAN
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Put this in userChrome.css.

Code: Select all

#attachmentView {
max-height: 65px !important;
overflow: scroll !important; }
slamberg

Post by slamberg »

I found userChrome.css only in my Netscape 6.2 file. I made the addition with notepad and will give it a try. Thanks. STAN
Stanford I Lamberg
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

slamberg wrote:I found userChrome.css only in my Netscape 6.2 file. I made the addition with notepad and will give it a try. Thanks. STAN

Edit: See wintogreen below.
Last edited by Old Bozz on May 2nd, 2005, 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
slamberg

Post by slamberg »

The change in userChrome.css in the folder location I described made no difference in Thunderbird. Still cannot read messages as there is no space between the Attachment box and the address lines. Should I have found that file in the Mozilla folder somewhere? Sounds like you know the problem. Thanks, STAN
Stanford I Lamberg
slamberg

Post by slamberg »

Please check this out. I went to Doc and Settings\Biker\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\US\chrome and found userChrome-examples.css. I put your lines into that, using Notepad, and saved as userChrome.css. I put a copy in \\\Profiles\chrome. Since this did not work, I assume it goes somewhere else.

Please advise (PS: I see Firefox but not Thunderbird. Should this be going into Thunderbird since that is the problem program?). STAN
Stanford I Lamberg
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

Yes, it has to go into Thunderbird's userChrome.css.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.cs ... ontent.css
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

Hard to see why the attachment view box doesn't scroll by default.
slamberg

Post by slamberg »

Finally it works. Thanks. I had to create the userchrome.css in Mozilla as there was no userchrome-example.css in thunderbird. then i copied it into the profile folder of thunderbird and now the attachment window is about 3/4" high at the bottom and the message area is large enough to use. Thanks, STAN ( I wonder if there is not a better way to do this for the person who nevers gets into the bowels of thunderbird)
Stanford I Lamberg
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

I wonder if there is not a better way to do this for the person who nevers gets into the bowels of thunderbird

Chromedit 0.1.1.1, Lets you edit the user files
Last edited by Old Bozz on May 2nd, 2005, 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

bozz, any idea why I can't get max-height and overflow to play nice together here? If I include overflow (as you've got it above), max-height doesn't have any effect now matter how large I make it (e.g., 250px looks the same as 65px, both using !important). It only has an effect if overflow is removed.

Also, for me overflow is giving me both vertical and horizontal scrollbars. I tried using "overflow: auto !important;" but then no scrollbars appeared at all (although it does actually scroll via the mousewheel).
yitzg

Post by yitzg »

My copy of TB (via Debian testing) does not come with a copy of userChrome-examples.css, and Google can't seem to find one. I am currently at version 1.0.2 (20050331). Can anyone point me to an appropriate version of this file so that I can work around this serious problem?

Thanks.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

wintogreen wrote:bozz, any idea why I can't get max-height and overflow to play nice together here? If I include overflow (as you've got it above), max-height doesn't have any effect now matter how large I make it (e.g., 250px looks the same as 65px, both using !important). It only has an effect if overflow is removed.

Also, for me overflow is giving me both vertical and horizontal scrollbars. I tried using "overflow: auto !important;" but then no scrollbars appeared at all (although it does actually scroll via the mousewheel).

I'll have to get back with you this afternoon. I'm at work now and can't install Thunderbird or Firefox here.
yitzg

Post by yitzg »

OK, found it at:
[url=http://lxr.mozilla.org/aviary101branch/source/profile/defaults/chrome/userChrome-example.css]
http://lxr.mozilla.org/aviary101branch/ ... xample.css
[/url]
That's great, the problem is fixed. Now is there any way to make the boundary between the "Attachments" window and the message window dragable, so that I can change their relative size dynamically?

Thanks.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

wintogreen wrote:bozz, any idea why I can't get max-height and overflow to play nice together here? If I include overflow (as you've got it above), max-height doesn't have any effect now matter how large I make it (e.g., 250px looks the same as 65px, both using !important). It only has an effect if overflow is removed.

Here ya go. Take out 'max-'.

Adjust view height to your liking, vertical scroll bar only(attachments seem to auto fit horizontally), scrollable with mousewheel and adds a top border if you wish.

/* Attachment pane at bottom of message window */
#attachmentView {
height: 40px !important;
overflow: auto !important;
border-top: 2px solid !important;  }
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

Thanks, bozz. (Btw, I was freaked out momentarily when I tried replying to your post a few minutes ago only to find that it had disappeared -- while you edited and reposted, apparently!)

Taking out "max-" does make it taller, but what I was hoping is that I could use "max-height" to make the box stop growing at around 150px but remain small/short otherwise. In other words, only grow in height when needed. Weird that it doesn't do this.