thunderbird freezing since upgrading to windows10

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jerlev1000

thunderbird freezing since upgrading to windows10

Post by jerlev1000 »

since upgrading to windows 10 earlier this week thunderbird freezes ("not responding") every time it has downloaded emails .. it opens fine, downloads new emails, then stops working (and title bar changes to "not responding"). I have to force close it, and then re-open, when it works fine .. very irritating: happens every single time.

Anyone else have this problems? is there an easy solution other than reloading thunderbird ?

Jeremy
karlbu

Re: thunderbird freezing since upgrading to windows10

Post by karlbu »

Yes, I upgraded to Windows 10 in the past 24-hours. And now Thunderbird consistently freezes.
Version 40 beta.
karlbu

Post by karlbu »

Update: Thunderbird looks like it's crashing, but hangs for 60-90 seconds, and then returns to consciousness. Will this be better if I return to a non-beta version?
fitzmooney

Post by fitzmooney »

I have used TB for over 10 years and stayed with it through all its ups and downs.
But since upgrading to Windows 10, I have not been able to download my emails.
This has made it completely unusable.
I have now changed to Mailbird, which is working perfectly.
If TB fixes this problem I will start using it again.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

It is somewhat early in Windows 10 life, and you will note win10 is not listed as supported in Firefox or Thunderbirds system requirements.

That said, reports about usage on Windows 10 have generally been positive. And I've done some research and so far I do not find any open bug reports of freezing for version 38 specific to Windows 10. However:
- there are some UI issues in development releases (NOT version 38) which are resolved by https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1188778
- some users (not Win10 users) have reported hangs related to new message notification, i.e hangs when you check for new messages. Workaround include disabling notifications in tools | options | general or disabling acceleration in tools | optoins | advanced | general

Finally, Win10 users are not immune to the normal pains of using/updating thunderbird on ANY OS, which should tested by starting in Thunderbird safe mode and Windows safe mode to eliminate the possibility of addons and OS related software such as antivirus.

If after having worked through and elminated the above scenarios as possible causes and you still see a problem, then you should report the problem as a bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug. ... hunderbird
karlbu

Post by karlbu »

Is it possible to uninstall 40 and reinstall 38?
Michael.J

Post by Michael.J »

Try allowing Thunderbird and Firefox programs through your Windows 10 firewall.
They were not listed in my "allowed programs" listing.
I had the same "freezing" problems . It now works fine.
karlbu

Post by karlbu »

An astute suggestion. Enabling TB through the W10 firewall fixes the crash issue. Thank you.
wildajo

Post by wildajo »

I can confirm that adding Thunderbird to the Windows Firewall "approved programs" list solves this problem. See: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Firefox was listed in the Windows Firewall's approved apps list on my Windows 10 PC, but not Thunderbird. That didn't cause a problem. I wonder what makes the difference.
ArKay

Post by ArKay »

Sometimes hangs for 30 secs or so when I move or delete mail. I use IMAP, dunno if that's part of the issue.

Adding the firewall rule didn't do anything here.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,

There's a glitch in the forum software that "The Boss" is having a hard time pinpointing.

When you hit the Submit button & nothing seems to happen,

just close the page, reload the forum Support page & your post will be added.

Do not hit the Submit button multiple times as this will cause multiple/duplicate
posts to be generated.

Understand?

Thanks.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
J1mmys13

Post by J1mmys13 »

Same issue happened to my Thunderbird. I solved it by adding compatibility mode (at Windows 7) and make it to run default as administrator.
Give it a try and revert with any comments.
ArKay

Post by ArKay »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,

There's a glitch in the forum software that "The Boss" is having a hard time pinpointing.

When you hit the Submit button & nothing seems to happen,

just close the page, reload the forum Support page & your post will be added.

Do not hit the Submit button multiple times as this will cause multiple/duplicate
posts to be generated.

Understand?

Thanks.

Weeeeeell, IIRC it kept on loading so it did look like a normal network problem, but I will reload the page in a new tab next time just to make sure!

Cheers,
Rainer
ArKay

Post by ArKay »

J1mmys13 wrote:Same issue happened to my Thunderbird. I solved it by adding compatibility mode (at Windows 7) and make it to run default as administrator.
Give it a try and revert with any comments.

Thanks, I will give that a try! I was already considering using a different program since Earlybird runs just as bad so who knows how long it will take until the release build will be working. And with all those weird timeouts it's impossible to use.