[ext] SeaFox - convert SeaMonkey into Firefox 3.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
patrickjdempsey

Re: [ext] SeaFox - convert SeaMonkey into Firefox 3.x

Post by patrickjdempsey »

That looks like Firefox 3 Theme for SeaMonkey? I have specific support for that theme so that should be a snap to fix. I'll probably end up having to add a compatibility overlay for Alfred's themes... not sure yet. It's actually been quite a long time since I've had any reports of this kind of stuff, so I haven't been actively testing on different themes for awhile now. I'll start looking into it.

We can take this conversation over to my Development thread if you notice further glitches:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2734625

Thank you for your report!

Edit: I cannot reproduce this in Firefox 3 Theme for SeaMonkey, but I can in Nautipolis and other Akayser themes. Please check any userchrome.css mods you might have, and check with all other extensions disabled.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
neocool

Post by neocool »

Just discovered SeaFox recently and love it to bits. I do have what I assume would be a rather broad issue ..is there a way to opt out of classic toplevel image view? Also, I'd been using compact menu2 to hide the main menubar, but have since removed that extension. Is it possible to hide the menubar in component windows like mail?
patrickjdempsey

Image View changes happen at the manifest level, not within the extension itself. Years ago I had this as an option in my LudditeUI extension and it never seemed to work right when it was optional.... maybe I'm just not smart enough to make it work.

I don't really use components other than the Browser so I try to not make too many modifications to them as it makes testing more difficult. SeaMonkey does currently support the menubar hiding function, and there is a bug to finally add a context menu item for it, but it's just not a priority and hasn't moved in awhile.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
neocool

Post by neocool »

Ah well. Thanks for your time :)
patrickjdempsey

You know, thinking about it more... I might be able to make TopLevelImageDocument and TopLevelVideoDocument easier to target by adding a class to the document body. If I did that, then anyone who wanted to modify it could use that class in userContent.css.

Edit: no luck.. couldn't get a binding to attach to the document body, it just silently fails.
iberger

Post by iberger »

Does SeaFox retain SeaMonkey's "Send Page" feature? Firefox only lets you e-mail the link, and since pages change, that doesn't cut it for me.

The only browsers I know that have this feature are SeaMonkey and {shudder} IE.

Also, if I don't like SeaFox, can I go back to plain SM?
Ivan Berger
patrickjdempsey

SeaFox doesn't really mess with the context menus, and does keep the "Send Page" item.

Yes, you can easily go back to plain SM. After you Disable or Remove SeaFox you can go into about:config and reset all of the settings that SeaFox changes... they are listed on the first page of this thread as well as on the AMO page.
jez

Post by jez »

Announcement: I have Firefox 3 Theme for SeaMonkey ready to support SeaFox's combined back and forward button to look and feel like the Firefox 3 "lock-style" back/forward buttons. I will release this if/when the developer of SeaFox makes his combined back/forward button dropmarker work in a semantically correct way, being disabled when it should be. Until then I don't feel that support for this feature is possible. Just thought I'd let people know.
== Jez ==
patrickjdempsey

Announcement: I've already explained to jez that the "semantically correct" method causes the button to completely disappear in several themes including the default. That makes it a non-starter. Period. I've also agreed to change the name of the dropmarker and fix a behavioral bug. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the method I'm using and there's absolutely nothing special he has to do other than supply the images. SeaFox does everything else, and jez is being a drama queen because he's not getting his way exactly how he wants it. I'm already supplying all of the icon and CSS support for his theme for SeaFox which I don't have to do and most extension authors wouldn't have bothered.

I should have just gone ahead and built my own (more accurate and better looking) Firefox 3 theme like I planned on, so I wouldn't have to deal with this kind of ridiculous childish nonsense.
patrickjdempsey

And for those in the peanut gallery who think I'm being unreasonable:

1. I cut my teeth on Firefox 3 theming, I've built over a dozen themes and I know my way around themes inside and out. I've even contributed to several experimental models of theming and helped advance the art beyond the standard Mozilla tutorials. I know what it takes to build and maintain a theme.

2. I've worked hard to make sure that unlike most extensions, SeaFox is theme-able in the same way as any other part of the browser, through a manifest skin. This is radically different than what most extension authors do. Most extensions require theme authors to write a bunch of messy !important override code that is often difficult write and requires constant work to keep running. SeaFox even includes icon layout templates to make it a breeze to support.

3. I'm already providing the skin for Firefox 3 Theme for SeaMonkey. It was my hope when jez communicated with me that he would take it over and incorporate it into his theme, but he has no interest in actually doing that. Even though it's free give-away code and images for his theme that I've already done all of the work on, and which really have no business being in my extension. Instead, he blamed me for writing sloppy CSS that came from his own theme.

4. I worked for several days on possible solutions to this specific issue. I've made several compromises based on jez's suggestions. However on the specific feature he's asking for I ended up with dozens of extra lines of code that caused breakage in the default theme which would have to be fixed with another dozen lines of CSS code which would probably create a ripple effect through other themes. There is virtually no benefit and all cost. That to me makes it settled.

5. My goal is to create code that will work in ALL themes, regardless of whether the theme directly supports SeaFox or not. This to me is far more important than being semantically correct. The solution I have come up with works regardless of whether a theme author has ever even heard of SeaFox. I personally consider that to be a very generous effort considering that there are many popular Firefox extensions which ONLY work correctly in the default theme, all other themes be damned.

6. One of the major reasons I quit theming Firefox (besides Mozilla's constant changes) is attitude like this from users and extension authors alike. I came to SeaMonkey to get away from the demanding selfishness and crybaby antics of spoiled fanboys and trolls. You don't like my extension? Fine. Buzz off. But don't try to publicly blackmail me because I don't find it to be particularly motivating.
jez

Post by jez »

Wow. I admit I did post here to try and elicit some kind of response because you had not replied to my e-mails for some time, but I didn't expect this many toys out of the pram. I'll keep things civil on my end, in any case. And please Patrick, take things I say in the spirit of constructive criticism and discussion. I may be slightly blunt at times but I'm never aiming to piss people off or troll; I merely want to communicate my points concisely.

patrickjdempsey wrote:6. One of the major reasons I quit theming Firefox (besides Mozilla's constant changes) is attitude like this from users and extension authors alike. I came to SeaMonkey to get away from the demanding selfishness and crybaby antics of spoiled fanboys and trolls. You don't like my extension? Fine. Buzz off. But don't try to publicly blackmail me because I don't find it to be particularly motivating.

I've gone through our entire e-mail exchange and at no point was either of us discourteous to the other. Describing what I did as "public blackmail" is a bit over the top IMHO, as is implying that mine have been "crybaby antics" or that I'm a "spoiled fanboy" or "troll".

3. I'm already providing the skin for Firefox 3 Theme for SeaMonkey. It was my hope when jez communicated with me that he would take it over and incorporate it into his theme, but he has no interest in actually doing that. Even though it's free give-away code and images for his theme that I've already done all of the work on, and which really have no business being in my extension.

Actually, you first communicated with me, suggesting that I add support for the combined back/forward icon into my theme. A few months later, I decided I could get round to doing it, so I belatedly replied. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to support your extension in my theme, and I would still like to do so. You're right that I don't think it's sensible for my theme to completely take over support for all the buttons your extension provides (which might in future change). As you say, you have already kindly gone to the effort of doing the work of putting these in your extension (as you do for a few other themes), so I think it would just be wasted time for me to transfer them over to my theme. As for them having "no business" being in your extension? I disagree - your extension adds various buttons. If you want to change them based on what theme's currently running, that's your choice (I don't bother with MonkeyFix), but if you do decide to do that, there's nothing wrong with those images being in the extension. They can be there or in the theme, it doesn't matter.

Instead, he blamed me for writing sloppy CSS that came from his own theme.

I don't know what you're referring to here. I talked about some CSS you might want to change, and then I corrected myself and indicated that I would indeed be able to override the back/forward images your extension inserts into the DOM.

4. I worked for several days on possible solutions to this specific issue. I've made several compromises based on jez's suggestions. However on the specific feature he's asking for I ended up with dozens of extra lines of code that caused breakage in the default theme which would have to be fixed with another dozen lines of CSS code which would probably create a ripple effect through other themes. There is virtually no benefit and all cost. That to me makes it settled.

Presumably the "breakage" you're talking about is the dropmarker disappearing, instead of becoming greyed out and unresponsive as disabled dropmarkers should. I have tested this out with 3 major themes, including default, and I cannot get the dropmarker to disappear by setting the disabled property to "true" even if I try. It would be strange and unexpected behaviour so I don't even know why it would happen. Could you please provide me with the code you're using that is causing the dropmarker to disappear? I'm genuinely interested now in why it is doing so.

5. My goal is to create code that will work in ALL themes, regardless of whether the theme directly supports SeaFox or not. This to me is far more important than being semantically correct. The solution I have come up with works regardless of whether a theme author has ever even heard of SeaFox. I personally consider that to be a very generous effort considering that there are many popular Firefox extensions which ONLY work correctly in the default theme, all other themes be damned.

There are 2 main problems with your current solution:
1) By not setting the dropmarker to disabled=true the theme has to grey it out by writing a rule that says "if back is disabled and forward is disabled then show the dropmarker as disabled". This workaround can be done but is a bit messy.
2) Because your extension doesn't set disabled=true on the dropmarker, you instead lower its opacity to give it the illusion of being disabled. My theme is forced to override this and set opacity back to 1.0 before setting the dropmarker to its disabled look. Again, this workaround can work, but I feel it's a bit messy, and involves a nasty !important directive:

Code: Select all

/* Force dropmarker opacity to be 1.0 */
#unified-back-forward-button #back-button[disabled="true"] ~ #forward-button[disabled="true"] ~ #back-forward-dropmarker {
  opacity: 1.0 !important;
}

It would be nice if anyone in future implementing a combined back and forward button (unlikely I admit but it would be nice) could just implement it in a semantically correct way and have it work. Maybe they would want to modify the opacity of the dropmarker, who knows? However it would be overridden with this solution.

As it stands I guess I've changed my mind in that I think the next SeaFox release will be supportable for the combined back/forward button, but it still feels like a bit of a hack to me not to simply set the dropmarker to disabled (which is what Firefox 3 itself did, by the way). I'm interested to see what's causing that to make the dropmarker disappear in various themes, as you claim.
== Jez ==
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

SM 2.38 seems to have totally vanished your Find Bar. Toolbar grippies also appeared, but a re-install of Sea Fox fixed that one.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Crap. Probably have to rewrite a bunch of bindings. Need to do that for the combined back/forward history anyway. Thanks for the head's up. Right now I'm very busy and still don't have internet at home yet. I was hoping to cruise through without breakages, but of course I'm not that lucky. ;)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote: I was hoping to cruise through without breakages, but of course I'm not that lucky. ;)

Yeah, I know the feeling.

How about doing an emergency fix? - just disable your Find Bar code completely, so that the default one pops up. Quick and you retain 95% functionality of SeaFox until you have more time to do a proper fix.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

I just got the update, and I've got a little time this afternoon, so I'm going to look around and make sure nothing else is broken and look into a fix. My code is just built on top of the default code so the breakage means the name of the function I called has been changed... again.