ActiveX error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Make

ActiveX error

Post by Make »

I get an error ActiveX Error message:
"Could not create the control {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. Check that it has been installed on your computer and that this page correctly reference it."
After clicking through these error messages the page seems to open ok. I don't see anything missing from the pages.

I guess this error comes when opening pages that have active X controls on them. Some kind of security update was done on my computer and I think this problem surface after that.

Can anyone help me to solve this annoying problem? I wouldn't want to go back to IE because of this annoying problem.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

I assume you have the ActiveX plugin for Firefox installed.

Post a link to a web page that does this.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0

Post by Guest »

Actually I don't think I have ActiveX plugin installed. I have donwloaded it, but still didn't install because of the warnings that are there on the page where it can be downloaded from.

Anyway, I actually think now that this error comes with all the pages that have Macromedia Flashplayer component in them (but then I don't undestand the title of the error message that says "ActiveX error").
For example http://www.digitoday.fi page has 5 of those components and it gives five error messages. I do have the Flashplayer plug-in installed and Netscape as well as IE work fine with these pages.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Maybe you installed it without realising..?

Go to the Firefox installation directory: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installation_directory
If there is a file there called 'npmozax.dll', delete it.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor

Post by Guest »

There was this 'npmozax.dll' file and I deleted it. Now the problem is solved, no more annoying error messages! Thank You very much!
Just to educate myself, what happened? What plugin that DLL was and why it caused that error? And what are the side effects of removing it?
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

That plugin was the ActiveX plugin - you must have installed it at some point. There are other files that the plugin installs, you might want to remove those too. Instructions for that are here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #Uninstall