Lightning 4.0.3 causes various bugs in TB 38.3.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Lightning 4.0.3 causes various bugs in TB 38.3.0

Post by tanstaafl »

Buttons not working menu items and attachments disappearing bug report
Folders are visible, but messages are not bug report

Some weird bugs in Thunderbird 38.3.0 appear to be a side effect of the version of Lightning bundled with it. If you run into this the workaround is to uninstall Lightning , disable auto-upgrade for add-ons in tools -> option -> advanced -> update, and manually install Lightning 4.0.2.1 from the Mozilla Add-ons web site.

I made this a sticky thread for 15 days.
brokengillou

Re: Lightning 4.0.3 causes various bugs in TB 38.3.0

Post by brokengillou »

Hi,

I can't agree to your observations, since Thunderbird updated to 38 i lost agenda functionality, today updated to 38.3.0 and tried to reinstall Lightning (4.0.2.1 is the actual version).
Thunderbird is cycling without finishing Lightning installation (extension is grayed and keep sending "restart now" message).
However the extension version 4.0.3 is not available.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Calendar/Calendar_Versions
How to get out of this without reinstalling everything?

Best regards,

Gilles
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

One of the comments in the bug report is:

"I think I've mentioned this in another bug, but actually the packaged Lightning 4.0.3 is correct. You can verify this by installing Thunderbird 38.3.0 into a separate directory and running it with a new profile.

The problem is not the bits in the package, these are correct, but likely something in the update code in the Mozilla platform. When upgrading from 38.2.0 to 38.3.0, the files in distribution/extensions/ are updated correctly, but the code that applies this to the profile-installed Lightning seems to make a mistake. We are still trying to nail this down.

In the meanwhile, we are considering releasing the AMO version of Lightning 4.0.3, renumbering it as something like 4.0.3.1. This will cause Thunderbird to check for extension updates and install this version using the normal (non-distribution) extension update code, correcting the broken chrome.manifest.

You can try the test builds (not renumbered yet) for addons.mozilla.org here, I'm certain they will also fix a broken Thunderbird: https://mozilla.kewis.ch/releases/ltn403/

Please also see bug 1211358, it contains more useful information
."
sync45

Post by sync45 »

I raised a similar issue a few days ago and a solution was found. It sounds like the same issue described in a different way. Have a look at:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2965781
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes, that is the same problem (and solution).
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Lightning 4.0.3.1 has just been approved for Thunderbird version 38 and is live on AMO. Users who have automatic updates for addons enabled (the default), will automatically get this update which will correct the problem.
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

I had some weird behavior with the last update too.

I had to reinstall lightning 3 times, and then some functionalities of add-ons stopped working. Specially Reply Monitor (for me one of the most useful add-ons) is not working properly now
jmcarron

Post by jmcarron »

My system is Ubuntu 14.04LTS.
I had to go out of town for a week on 9/23. At the time I left everything was working normally. I do not remember exactly what version of either Thunderbird or Lightning were installed. With everything working there was no reason to check.

When I returned I noticed the normal Ubuntu update notice and I let it run. I immediately noticed that I was no longer able to create, save, modify or delete an event in Lightning. I checked my versions and noticed they are Thunderbird 38.3.0 and Lightning 4.0.2.1. Since then I updated Lightning to 4.0.3 with no change.

Is this something I will need to revert to Thunderbird 38.2.0 to fix or might Lightning 4.0.3.1 fix it?

mike
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know, but upgrading Lightning seems worth trying.

Ubuntu provides a third party build of Thunderbird and its own build of Lightning (xul-ext-lightning). They might have slightly different version numbers than the generic Linux builds from Mozilla's web site/servers.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/xul-ext-lightning
jmcarron

Post by jmcarron »

My copy of Thunderbird was installed through Ubuntu Software Center so I'm assuming it is the third party build you speak of. I checked out the xul-ext-lightning you referred to, it is the same version as the Lightning already installed. I'll pick up Lightning 4.0.3.1 as soon as it appears in the Ubuntu update list.

Frankly I'm a bit mystified that only Lightning events sould experience this problem, everything else seems to be fine. Could the fact that my Thunderbird profile resides on my NAS possibly have anything to do with it?

mike
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Doubt it.
jmcarron

Post by jmcarron »

I've confirmed that the problem was indeed my Thunderbird profile residing on the NAS. I copied the entire profile back to the .thunderbird directory and restored my backed-up profiles.ini. Suddenly everything that was not working started working properly again.

Now I have to figure out what changed on the NAS.

mike
ted939

Post by ted939 »

My OS/Environment:
Mac OS 10.7.5
Lightning 4.0.3.1
Thunderbird 38.3.0

Neither the calendar toolbar buttons in top right of TB window, nor the corresponding entry in Events/Tasks menu, bring up my calendar (though they do open a new tab for it), and my View > Calendar remains greyed out.

Calendar also doesn't open upon launching TB. Everything was working fine until today. I Quit TB yesterday, started back up today, and Calendar no longer appears. I've tried restarting computer a couple times, restarting TB couple times in addition to that.

SOMEtimes (as I keep restarting computer and/or TB), I can get a Calendar TAB (but not any actual calendar display) to open in TB. When that happens, I see ONE of my several calendars presented in the left-hand sidebar. I then CTRL-click that Calendar, then click "Properties" in the pop-up menu, and nothing happens

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ted
brokengillou

Post by brokengillou »

I see no improvement in the situation Lightning is auto uninstalled and no manual installation is getting it back in use.
ted939

Post by ted939 »

brokengillou wrote:I see no improvement in the situation Lightning is auto uninstalled and no manual installation is getting it back in use.
I see a period (".") at the end of those words, so I'm thinking it might be a sentence. Is it a sentence? Do all those words in a row mean something? If so, what do they mean?

Thanks!