Preventing The Bright Tag cookie when launching Firefox

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
bigeasybound

Preventing The Bright Tag cookie when launching Firefox

Post by bigeasybound »

I use SUPERAntiSpyware to help avoid and remove malware. It's showing that every time I launch Firefox, a cookie called The Bright Tag is being loaded. I run a scan and manually remove it, but it returns as soon as I launch Firefox again.

This is an example of the path that SUPERAntiSpyware is showing me:

s.thebrighttab.com.btpdb.voKK91[random characters] C :\USERS\[myPC's name]\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES

The only time I use Chrome is to cast Netflix movies, and I run SUPERAntiSpyware immediately after.

The only time i use Googie is for the very rare Internet search, or to use Google Images to search for images.

This persistent cookie only began to appear constantly about three days ago.

The other recent change in my habits is more frequent use of Gmail.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Daifne

Re: Preventing The Bright Tag cookie when launching Firefox

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Mozillazine Tech since this isn't a Firefox problem. The path you gave is to the Google Chrome profile which Firefox does not touch.
bigeasybound

Re: Preventing The Bright Tag cookie when launching Firefox

Post by bigeasybound »

For those who followed this post, I contacted SUPERAntiSpyware, since their tool was not removing this cookie. They responded that The Bright Tag cookie is a known issue they are troubleshooting. But meanwhile they advised me to try CCleaner. I did and it removed the cookie - it hasn't appeared since.

I haven't used Google Chrome since the cookie appeared. I only use Chrome to cast Netflix movies, and perhaps the cookie will appear the next time I use Chrome. (The cookie's path included Google Chrome.) I'll just run CCleaner again.