Trouble Installing new version of SeaMonkey (Linux)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
James

Re: Trouble Installing new version of SeaMonkey (Linux)

Post by James »

Problem for Linux is there are technically no 64-bit SeaMonkey Release builds for Linux yet except for a en-US build in contrib folder.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.38/contrib/

You will have to manually install new versions. The updates are only provided to the 32-bit Linux builds of SeaMonkey Releases.
James

Post by James »

Wuxin wrote:Excuse me, but I had it in "Support" initially. You moved it to "SeaMonkey Builds." Do you want me to go back to Support now? Either way is fine with me. Just be clear. Thank you.

It is in SeaMonkey Support Now simply because it was moved from the SeaMonkey Builds section you posted this thread in initially. There is a shadow link in SeaMonkey Builds (which is what arrow by thread means) to this thread in SeaMonkey Support. The SeaMonkey Builds section is for discussion of the development test builds and not Releases.
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

Here is what was said in the second post: "Moving from SeaMonkey Builds to SeaMonkey Support." My post was never in SeaMonkey Builds--it was in SeaMonkey Support. I thought the reviewer just had the terms reversed. I never had anything in Builds. But that is irrelevant. I have SeaMonkey installed on my Linux laptop Lenovo and also on my Mac-mini desktop. I got the program off the main website. Are you telling me that there is no compatible program for Linux? If so that is strange since I've had it installed on my laptop for well over a year!

Can you at least answer the question: Is SeaMonkey now (or was it ever) compatible with Adblock Plus? I currently have it on my desktop with Adblock Plus and it's there...big as life...staring at me under "ad-ons." If it is no longer compatible why is that, and, is there a comparable program that will work with SeaMonkey that is recommended?
James

Post by James »

Wuxin wrote:I got the program off the main website. Are you telling me that there is no compatible program for Linux? If so that is strange since I've had it installed on my laptop for well over a year!

Can you at least answer the question: Is SeaMonkey now (or was it ever) compatible with Adblock Plus? I currently have it on my desktop with Adblock Plus and it's there...big as life...staring at me under "ad-ons." If it is no longer compatible why is that.

The Linux versions of SeaMonkey from http://www.seamonkey-project.org are still only for 32-bit Linux.

The 64-bit Linux builds of SeaMonkey are available (for en-US only) as I linked to for SM 2.38 http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/re ... 8/contrib/

Some Linux distros may provide SeaMonkey packages though not as common now days as Ubuntu for example discontinued.

SeaMonkey (also Firefox, Firefox for Android and Thunderbird) are not made compatible with Extensions but the other way. Some Extension authors only support one thing while others may support multiple.

However the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/adblock-plus/ does support SeaMonkey.

However if you are getting not compatible with the old SeaMonkey 2.25 you have on Linux then the Author has it as SM 2.26 and newer since Version 2.6.10 back in July as you can see on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/adblock-plus/versions/
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

Okay, very good...thank you indeed! So of the set of 64-bit Linux builds of SeaMonkey for which you kindly provided a link, which one would you suggest using? Do these need to be installed as a "clean install" or can I install it on top of my present version? I appreciate these very clear and helpful tips!
James

Post by James »

Set? there is only the one build which is seamonkey-2.38.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

The settings are in a Profile in a seperate folder so it does not needs to be installed over to keep settings. Not the best idea to install over as mixing can cause crashes.
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

Just to be sure I understand before I proceed...so do I first download the new 2.38 and extract it, or do I uninstall my present version of SeaMonkey first? I want to be careful to maintain my settings, as you suggested. Where is the command to uninstall my current version of SeaMonkey? (I guess this could be done from a terminal.) And after completing the install, can I then add-on the version of Adblock Plus for which you sent the link? I appreciate your help and keen knowledge of SeaMonkey! Incidentally, my current version of SeaMonkey on Linux reads in the menu "Mozilla Build of SeaMonkey." Maybe that explains why it is working...again, thanks!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Wuxin wrote: or do I uninstall my present version of SeaMonkey first?

This

Wuxin wrote:Where is the command to uninstall my current version of SeaMonkey?

For an official build, just quit it and then delete its entire installation directory as you would any other folder. Not sure what you have though (see below)

Wuxin wrote: Incidentally, my current version of SeaMonkey on Linux reads in the menu "Mozilla Build of SeaMonkey."

???
I have not seen an official SeaMonkey build say this. What menu, where?.. is this menu even in SeaMonkey?
(I would guess you do have the official build, but repackaged by a 3rd-party... but what do I know....)
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

barbaz wrote:
Wuxin wrote: Incidentally, my current version of SeaMonkey on Linux reads in the menu "Mozilla Build of SeaMonkey."

???
I have not seen an official SeaMonkey build say this. What menu, where?.. is this menu even in SeaMonkey?
(I would guess you do have the official build, but repackaged by a 3rd-party... but what do I know....)

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
fabrixx2

Post by fabrixx2 »

You have this problem?
http://codeverge.com/mozilla.support.se ... ar/1462601

I fixed in SeaMonkey 2.41a1
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

I am currently on another computer but I appreciate your feedback. When I am on my Linux tomorrow I will tell you exactly what it says in the menu. It does work fine and has for a couple of years now--whatever it is!