Sea Monkey keeps stalling.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Chuckiechan

Sea Monkey keeps stalling.

Post by Chuckiechan »

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/editorial ... 52104.html

I presume developers read this forum, so the site above stalls really bad. The bubbles or whatever on the logo of the sea monkey on the upper right freeze, run, freeze, run.

It happens a lot, but this newspaper site is the worst, and hopefully may help you solve the problem.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Sea monke keeps stalling.

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I personally don't have a problem with this page, but I use AdBlockPlus to block most ads. One thing you can try:

Press Ctrl+Shift+A > Plugins tab > under Flash Player (or Shockwave Flash) select Ask to Activate.

Beyond that, Firefox devs just released a fix for similar issues in Firefox and we are waiting to see if SeaMonkey devs will be able to push a similar update. However the build system problems that caused all of the release delays are still going on, so it may take some time.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Adds heavy websites is one problem but Flash content make more problems than usual - my Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro asks me for decision about what to do with "outgoing connection from Flash plugin". I saw this before (SM 2.33.1 and older Flash plugin) but this time I've got several "pop-ups" (instead of one or two). I've blocked them all and site isn't stalling my browser.

But what is happening for those who don't have (proper) security software? Flash plugin is sending some information making busy "plugin-container.exe" for some (too long) time?
--
therube

Post by therube »

(That page that has all kinds of crap going on, & actually crashed my browser. Flash it looks like? SeaMonkey 2.38 Crash Report [@ F1282869874.)

Edit:
[Seems I had dom.ipc.plugins.flash.disable-protected-mode disabled. So the (Flash) crash took down the browser instead of only plugin-container.exe/Flash itself.]
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Yup, that's why people shouldn't disable that.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Chuckiechan

Post by Chuckiechan »

I do use Adblocker, and it works great.

I'll just have to wait until the dev's figure it out. At least it's not "my own special problem..." LOL
murrysdad

Post by murrysdad »

The Yahoo homepage is the worst for me. I do use Adblock Plus (great). My browser says that Yahoo is waiting for an ad. This happened long before I installed Adblock. The issue is I can't shutdown one page as it ties up every open window and tab as well as the stop button, if I try to stop it it dims the screen.

If I hit the red X to close any window it says "SeaMonkey not responding, do you want to close it." Which I do. When I reboot SeaMonkey all the windows and tabs reopen (including Yahoo which I race to close). If possible it would be nice if one could just close the bad page (Yahoooo). Of course the other option is to never go to Yahoo, again (but I like it)...
patrickjdempsey

What is your subscription list for AdBlock Plus? Also, I have never ever even seen a browser popup message like "waiting for an ad"... that may be some extension doing that.
murrysdad

Post by murrysdad »

I apologize for not being clear. On the bottom left where once a page is loaded SeaMonkey displays, "Done." When Yahoo hangs up SeaMonkey that space displays something like, "Waiting for y.pingmig" Once that happens it stops SeaMonkey, dead and you have to close it. It has happened on Yahoo, many times before I loaded Adblock...
Thanks for the reply...
patrickjdempsey

I use Yahoo all of the time with ABP with no problems like that. The only weird thing I encounter there is that videos haven't worked in some time now. Again, what is your subscription.
murrysdad

Post by murrysdad »

My subscriptions are the exact ones Adblock came with. I haven't changed a thing. In fact in looking at the subscription list it allows "reasonable ads." The Yahoo issue isn't there today but the next time it it happens I will turn off Adblock as a test.

My wish is that when any site hangs up SeaMonkey while waiting for an ad there is a way to stop it. I guess a fair neophyte question is why won't the stop button work?....
lem3

Post by lem3 »

When the hangup/freeze happens to me I use Task Manager to kill the FlashPlayerPlugin process and all is well again. Bad ad code? Flash bug? It wouldn't be the first time for either.
therube

Post by therube »

> Bad ad code? Flash bug?

A bug in Mozilla's code.
Fixed in FF 41.0.1, but not in SeaMonkey 2.38.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

As has been recommended, in the Addons Manager, Plugins tab, set Flash player to Ask to Activate.