Can't connect using Firebird 0.6

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
rcmoore

Can't connect using Firebird 0.6

Post by rcmoore »

Hopefully someone can help out with a new install...

Every URL I enter gives me "The Conecction was refused when attempting to contact ....". I'm on a standalone pc with a modem that's already connected to my ISP. Using tools/options/connection I have "direct connection to the internet" selected. No problem with IE (other than the obvious). Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Russ
scratch

Post by scratch »

is IE set to use a proxy? if so, try copying those proxy settings.
mendoza

Post by mendoza »

I have the same problem and IE is not set to use a proxy.....
rcmoore

Post by rcmoore »

No, IE doesn't have a proxy defined. I also installed the full Mozilla product (1.4) and it does the same thing. Win2K and it makes absolutely no sense to me. I get the 'Connection Refused..." for every URL including the pre-installed quick links like help & FAQ. It looks great and exactly what I had hoped for when I installed it. But it doesn't look like it's useable in my environment. I only wish I knew what it is that's making mine different from those where it actually works...

Thanks again..
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Are you using any firewall software?
rcmoore

Post by rcmoore »

No. No firewall s-ware at all. I can have 50 instances of IE and all will 'connect' fine. Even if I close everything and restart Firebird/Mozilla as the only app, the same message appears.
alted2

Post by alted2 »

Have you ever installed a firewall? I had the exact same problem and I thought I had disabled my firewall but when I uninstalled my firewall Firebird worked fine.
mendoza

Post by mendoza »

I found out the solution for me : it was my mail client (foxmail) which needed to be patched to not change my connection settings.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

mendoza wrote:I found out the solution for me : it was my mail client (foxmail) which needed to be patched to not change my connection settings.

Don't you hate it when a third-party application changes something so essential without even letting you know? :2gunfire:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)