FORM, HR, CSS and address bar

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Laurentbon

FORM, HR, CSS and address bar

Post by Laurentbon »

Hi all,
Not sure if I should discuss those issues here but...

First: congratulations! I have just discovered Phoenix and I am pretty amazed by it. Very nice browser and I think I am not far from giving up IE for it!

However, here are a few issues which I think could be addressed to make it even better. They are probably all related to Mozilla as I undestand Phoenix core code is pretty much the same as mozilla's but I don't know where to mention them so...

1) The <INPUT type="text"> tag: for the same width, Phoenix renders a box much wider than IE.

2) The <HR> tag. None of the proprieties such as color or width are interpreted. For example:
<hr size="1" color="#46BA72" noshade> will not displayed the associated color or size.
It means that HR always codes an ugly grey and thick line instead of a nice colored one...

3) CCS and FORM. The interaction of classes and form objects is not very complete. For example, trying to specify the width of a radio button in a class doesn't work...

4) Address bar: CTRL + SHIFT + left arrow should only select one word in the address bar, according to windows shortcut, not the whole URL. Unless it is because the behaviour is different undex linux?

I hope this helps. Sorry once again if this forum is not the place for mentionning those issues...
Laurent
marc00s

Post by marc00s »

1) The < INPUT type="text" > tag: for the same width, Phoenix renders a box much wider than IE.

It depends on fonts I think (I don't use IE, I simply don't have it :))
<hr size="1" color="#46BA72" noshade> will not displayed the associated color or size.
It means that HR always codes an ugly grey and thick line instead of a nice colored one...

What's that???

There ain't nothing like "size" or "color" attributes of the hr tag. More information here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19 ... ml#edef-HR

If you use <hr color="blablabla"> it means you've been brainwashed by some company from Redmond. :)
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

1) I think the INPUT tag width can be set with CSS
2) I don't think that's standard-compliant.. that's why doesn't work with Phoenix... :roll:
..::XF::..
Laurentbon

There is for Size

Post by Laurentbon »

Got you on <INPUT type=text>. Anyway, you can apply successfully a class on this tag.

For <hr size="1" color="#46BA72" noshade>, 'size' and 'noshade' were definetly supported but now deprecated I understand (according to your source on w3.org). For backward compatibility they still should be supported though...
My mistake on 'color'. It is probably only supported by IE. A shame cause it is a very quick and nice way to change the most important propriety...

I will test the support of CSS on HR tag soon.

Laurent
tve

Re: FORM, HR, CSS and address bar

Post by tve »

Laurentbon wrote:2) The <HR> tag. None of the proprieties such as color or width are interpreted. For example:

thats no W3C standard, and therefore not included in Phoenix, but you can do that stuff with CSS. :)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Laurentbon wrote:Hi all,
1) The <INPUT type="text"> tag: for the same width, Phoenix renders a box much wider than IE.

2) The <HR> tag. None of the proprieties such as color or width are interpreted. For example:

3) CCS and FORM. The interaction of classes and form objects is not very complete. For example, trying to specify the width of a radio button in a class doesn't work...

4) Address bar: CTRL + SHIFT + left arrow should only select one word in the address bar, according to windows shortcut, not the whole URL. Unless it is because the behaviour is different undex linux?

I hope this helps. Sorry once again if this forum is not the place for mentionning those issues...
Laurent

1-3, you are wrong about all these things. You can't do thing the way you try to do it.
Read up on how HTML works.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/

Eg this link will tell you why you can't eg decide the width of a button with CSS
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html#formctrl
Buttons are inline-level, thus CSS width does NOT APPLY to it.
Any browser that does implement it is BUGGY.

4, "CTRL + SHIFT + left arrow should only select one word in the address bar" this is EXACTLY how Phoenix works right now.
But mayby you are confusing several words like "word1 word2 word3" with a contiounus (no blankspace) url /word1/word2/word3
ehume

Post by ehume »

Stefan wrote:
Laurentbon wrote:4) Address bar: CTRL + SHIFT + left arrow should only select one word in the address bar, according to windows shortcut, not the whole URL.

4, "CTRL + SHIFT + left arrow should only select one word in the address bar" this is EXACTLY how Phoenix works right now.
But mayby you are confusing several words like "word1 word2 word3" with a contiounus (no blankspace) url /word1/word2/word3

That is exactly what he means. In IE, the ctrl+shift+Larrow and the ctrl+shift+Rarrow move the selection boundary to each conceptual stop, whether it is a dot or a slash.

IMO, these are reasonable expectations. In fact, I would like to see that change implemented . . . in Mozilla as well as in Phoenix.

Ed
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Laurentbon wrote:2) The <HR> tag. None of the proprieties such as color or width are interpreted. For example:

May be it is not W3C compliant, however it remains the only way to code nice FORMs. I understand that browsers should stick to W3C guidelines but there is a clear need for more than just the standards there and therefore I see why IE supports extra functionnalities such as the one I described above.

ehume wrote:That is exactly what he means. In IE, the ctrl+shift+Larrow and the ctrl+shift+Rarrow move the selection boundary to each conceptual stop, whether it is a dot or a slash.

Thanks ehume, it is exactly what I meant and NO it is not yet supported!

Laurent
tve

Post by tve »

Laurentbon wrote:May be it is not W3C compliant, however it remains the only way to code nice FORMs. I understand that browsers should stick to W3C guidelines but there is a clear need for more than just the standards there and therefore I see why IE supports extra functionnalities such as the one I described above.

the forum is no good place to request it.. have to ask someone at w3.org why it doesnt work :D
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

two legged freak wrote:the forum is no good place to request it.. have to ask someone at w3.org why it doesnt work

I agree. Does anyone know how to pass a request to W3C?
There are actually already a lot of threads on their forum about HR support...
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Laurentbon wrote:May be it is not W3C compliant, however it remains the only way to code nice FORMs.

That is incorrect. You can modify FORMs just fine with CSS and valid HTML, but you need to use the correct syntax to get it to work in a generally nonbuggy browser like Phoenix.

This eg should work (untested, complain if it doesn't work).
<INPUT type="text" style="display:block; width:200px;">
<hr style="background:#46BA72; height:1px;">
<button style="display:block; width:200px;" ...>
Laurentbon

HR color coding

Post by Laurentbon »

You are right for <INPUT type="text" which indeed can be changed by stylesheet and I haven't yet tried radio button.

After much time spent on it. If you want to code a red line of 1 pixel to work on Mozilla, here is your class:

HR {
height : 1px;
border : none;
background-color : Red;
}

However, if you want your HR to be correctly displayed in all browsers, you need to add an extra property for IE. The tag then becomes:

HR {
height : 1px;
border : none;
background-color : Red;
color : Red;
}

Pretty heavy ...