Account/ lost mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
kjvbible1611

Account/ lost mail

Post by kjvbible1611 »

As i was adjusting my account, adding a new password, when thunderbird started i lost all of my previous e mails that i were in the inbox.
How can i get them back?
Gary Teresi
.dash

Post by .dash »

kjvbible1611

Post by kjvbible1611 »

i found the solution:
You can follow the steps below to point Thunderbird back to the location where your email files are located.

1. Launch Thunderbird
2. Click the "Tools" menu
3. Click "Account Settings"
4. Click "Server Settings" for your email account
5. Notice the "Local Directory" field. This shows the path to where your email files are currently being stored. This is what will have to be changed to bring back your email.
6. Click the "Browse" button.
7. Select a different folder other than the one that is highlighted. The email folder for your email account should have the name of your incoming server on it. The "new" one that was created will have your email server address on it, but will likely have a -1 at the end of it.
8. After selecting a different folder, click "OK"
9. Click "OK" on the "Account Settings" screen
10. Exit Thunderbird
11. Launch Thunderbird and check your email folders. If they are not showing the correct email files, you can go back into the "Account Settings and change the "Local Directory" setting until you have located the correct folder which contains your email.
12. You can repeat these steps for any additional email accounts.
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

I've added this to Part II in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail (with a reference back to this thread) but one point needs clarification:
kjvbible1611 wrote: 7. Select a different folder other than the one that is highlighted. The email folder for your email account should have the name of your incoming server on it. The "new" one that was created will have your email server address on it, but will likely have a -1 at the end of it.
8. After selecting a different folder, click "OK"

This can be a little tricky if you are using the Global Inbox or if you have other "deferred" accounts (e.g., you have 3 Gmail accounts and two of them are set up to store mail together with your primary Gmail account). In these cases, only for the primary account should the "Local directory" setting point to the folder containing the mail files. If you're using the Global Inbox, this means only the Local Folders "account" should be pointed to the "Local Folders" folder in your profile folder, where the mail is stored. This is because deferred accounts, which share the mail files with one or more other accounts, still need to keep certain files separate from the shared mail files. (The message filters for each account are stored separately, for instance, as is the "popstate.dat" file, which keeps track of which mail has been downloaded from the POP server.)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox

Post by Guest »

when I click on the other file (with the .1 behind it, it says the directory is in use by another server and to pick another one. What does this mean? We had our emails completely dissappear yesterday for no reason.
totally frustrated

Post by totally frustrated »

I am aware that I voluntarily downloaded and utilized the Thunderbird app free of charge but Christ is that a reason for ones email to simply vanish without the ability to recover it????????tried every step as detailed in the threads and then some nothing. Any suggestions are appreciated, very concerned and possibly former Thunderbird user
raymanlupher

Post by raymanlupher »

Anonymous wrote:I am aware that I voluntarily downloaded and utilized the Thunderbird app free of charge but Christ is that a reason for ones email to simply vanish without the ability to recover it????????tried every step as detailed in the threads and then some nothing. Any suggestions are appreciated, very concerned and possibly former Thunderbird user
I have had all of my email accounts vanish. I was doing nothing other than send an email when trouble started. After shutting down and starting again to see it that would help, everything was gone???!!!!!
They have vanished from my applications profile??? Is there a virus out there doing this or my XP crashing open source software????
hudsonhousehold

Post by hudsonhousehold »

I, too have had all of my email accounts "unaccountably" disappear! I also get the same message that the default is in use. Only the default shows. I am currently trying to set up another account and copy the files from my hard drive into it. I'll let you know if this works. My global inbox collects the mail for 3 accounts and I need the stored email as they contain critical information for work~