SM spell checker

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
arthur_123

SM spell checker

Post by arthur_123 »

Hi @all,

I've one simple question: since a few weeks I've the problem that my spell checker is set to English as standard and I cannot find where I can set it to German.
If I'm writing an email I've to set it to German manually every time.

I'm sure, I'm too stupid to find the settings ...

Thx in advance!

Ciao Arthur
TPR75

Re: SM spell checker

Post by TPR75 »

arthur_123 wrote: I've one simple question: since a few weeks I've the problem that my spell checker is set to English as standard and I cannot find where I can set it to German.
If I'm writing an email I've to set it to German manually every time.

SeaMonkey 2.35/2.38 had a bug with automatic switching spellchecker but it looks like 2.39 is fixed so if you will set Deutsch as default then it should be remembered.
--
arthur_123

Post by arthur_123 »

Hi TPR75,

as I said - I am too stupid!
I did never look into "Erscheinungsbild" (to me it's a little bit a strange location for this), but I should have done it!
Thank you! Dziękuję!

Ciao Arthur
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Hmm, I don't see much difference between 2.38 and 2.39 here - in both versions the problem is that setting spell check language when composing mail (with the context menu) is only temporary for this window and composing another message will be again in the default dictionary set in the settings. However, setting the language in a browser's text box on a web page changes the main setting and also affects mail composition. This is somewhat messy. This may make some sense for a standalone email client like Thunderbird but still I prefer the last dictionary to be remembered.

I have created a small extension that makes the mail language separate from the main setting and the last dictionary set in mail will always be remembered for new mail compositions: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... -for-mail/
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Lemon Juice wrote:Hmm, I don't see much difference between 2.38 and 2.39 here - in both versions the problem is that setting spell check language when composing mail (with the context menu) is only temporary for this window and composing another message will be again in the default dictionary set in the settings. However, setting the language in a browser's text box on a web page changes the main setting and also affects mail composition. This is somewhat messy. This may make some sense for a standalone email client like Thunderbird but still I prefer the last dictionary to be remembered.
Now it works correct - SeaMonkey 2.39 remembers default setting for Polish language spellchecker for e-mail messages and remembers individual settings for webpages/forums where I use Polish or other language. In versions 2.35/2.38 it was broken (regardless of settings English was default).
--
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

TPR75 wrote:Now it works correct - SeaMonkey 2.39 remembers default setting for Polish language spellchecker for e-mail messages and remembers individual settings for webpages/forums where I use Polish or other language. In versions 2.35/2.38 it was broken (regardless of settings English was default).
This is strange because my SeaMonkey 2.39 doesn't remember the language for Mail separately from web pages - it's still mixed together in one setting and I can't see anything different between 2.39 and 2.38 in this respect. Maybe some obscure bug was fixed that happens in certain circumstances? It's a pity we don't have good release notes to verify - in the bugzilla changelog report these is Bug 1176671 - Changing dictionary language from spellcheck dialogue is not persisted after closing the dialogue - the only one I found that has anything to do with languages and was applied to Thunderbird, but it's not clear if this has been applied to SeaMonkey as well - from my testing it has not.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Lemon Juice wrote:
TPR75 wrote:Now it works correct - SeaMonkey 2.39 remembers default setting for Polish language spellchecker for e-mail messages and remembers individual settings for webpages/forums where I use Polish or other language. In versions 2.35/2.38 it was broken (regardless of settings English was default).
This is strange because my SeaMonkey 2.39 doesn't remember the language for Mail separately from web pages - it's still mixed together in one setting and I can't see anything different between 2.39 and 2.38 in this respect.
Strange. Few days it worked correct and now I'm experiencing the same bug - settings from Preferences are not remembered and spell checker switch to English.
--
hardys

Post by hardys »

Same thing here. Default settings are not restored and there is always a fall back to english spell-check regardless of the settings in the browser. Happend with SM 2.35 to 2.39