Bookmarks Manager Search Gone in SM 2.3.9 (Mac)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Michael11

Re: Bookmarks Manager Search Gone in SM 2.3.9 (Mac)

Post by Michael11 »

Rob_S wrote:
Michael11 wrote: What "bookmarks tab in the sidebar" ...? There's one on Firefox, but none I've ever seen in SM.
On windows F9 opens the sidebar, which has "tabs" displayed as headers, for search, history, bookmarks. The sidebar can also be opened by menu "view, show/hide, sidebar
Aha! F9 doesn't work (it does something else on a Mac), but "view, show/hide, sidebar" does reveal it, complete with a search function — thanks!

I'd rather the old functionality were still available, though. It seems like (nearly) everyone is reporting that it's still available in the Bookmarks menu for Windows, but it isn't available on the Mac all of a sudden — is that right?
amrad

Post by amrad »

Anonymosity wrote:
amrad wrote:
Anonymosity wrote:The menu bar for the bookmark manager does not have any search item anywhere.
It most certainly does!

Regards,

Dave.
You are using Windows, and I am using Mac OS. The menu bar is outside the window at the top of the screen in Mac OS, and is controlled by Mac OS.
Are you saying that the menu bar (presumably in Manage Bookmarks) is off the top of the screen? If so, can you not re-size the window so that it is visible?

Regards,

Dave.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

amrad, see this screenshot:
That menu bar at the top of the screen is fixed there is a part of the OS interface, and is the menu bar of whatever application is focused.
Last edited by barbaz on November 16th, 2015, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Haven't we ALREADY established that this is an OSX-specific issue?? Jeez it's like you guys aren't even reading the dang thread. :roll:
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
amrad

Post by amrad »

barbaz wrote:amrad, see this screenshot:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... esktop.png
That menu bar at the top of the screen is fixed there as a part of the OS interface, and is the menu bar of whatever application is focused.
I'm not familiar with the Mac so I didn't know that. I see there is a search box in that screen capture, I guess it's not present when viewing SeaMonkey's Bookmarks Manager?

Regards,

Dave.
patrickjdempsey

That's pretty obviously the OS file manager...
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
amrad

Post by amrad »

I have since found that, when the Menu Bar is displayed in SeaMonkey's Bookmarks Manager, clicking anywhere in the Bookmarks Manager window, causes the Menu Bar to disappear! It can be restored with F10, though, but it's not much use as it is.

Regards,

Dave.
patrickjdempsey

That's the menubar auto-hide feature which shouldn't be on by default. Press Alt or F10 to enable the menu, then go View > check Menu Bar.

Perhaps OSX folks can try pressing the Option key as I believe that is mapped to the same as Alt.
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Patrick,
patrickjdempsey wrote:That's the menubar auto-hide feature which shouldn't be on by default. Press Alt or F10 to enable the menu, then go View > check Menu Bar.
Thanks, that fixed it!

Regards,

Dave.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

patrickjdempsey wrote:That's the menubar auto-hide feature which shouldn't be on by default. Press Alt or F10 to enable the menu, then go View > check Menu Bar.

Perhaps OSX folks can try pressing the Option key as I believe that is mapped to the same as Alt.
Pressing the Option key does nothing by itself and F10 is pre-empted by the OS, so an application will never see it. Since the OS controls the menu bar in Mac OS, using a user control on it will not work. The only thing you can do with Mac OS menus is click items on them.
patrickjdempsey

Yes, I'm aware of where the OS menubar is, that wasn't my point. My point was that the XUL element that contains the scrollbar may have accidentally been hidden because of the menu-bar auto-hide feature. I guess the grand question/answer that no-one in this thread has bothered with is... what is the element that contains the menubar? Surely one of your using OSX has been around long enough to know how to use DOM inspector and can find the element and tell us what's going on. And has anyone on OSX tried Nightly to see if it's happening there as well? (I think OSX is building on Nightly?)
bbowens

Post by bbowens »

gotta say, this really sucks. I'm not a developer, but I've been using Netscape then SeaMonkey on a Mac for, I don't know, 15 years at least. 15 years of bookmarks that now can't be searched.
MacPro Desktop mid-2010, 2 x 2.66ghz, 40gb RAM, OS 10.14.6
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Anonymosity wrote:

Pressing the Option key does nothing by itself and F10 is pre-empted by the OS, so an application will never see it. Since the OS controls the menu bar in Mac OS, using a user control on it will not work. The only thing you can do with Mac OS menus is click items on them.
Click item only? Well... To "unhide" some UI elements of SeaMonkey under MS Windows we can click somewhere on e.g. Navigation Bar by RMB (Right Mouse Button) and enable/disable "Menu Bar", "Navigation Toolbar", "Bookmarks Toolbar" or choose "Customize..." and then hit "Restore Default Set". How about SeaMonkey under Apple Mac OS? Is it possible?
--
patrickjdempsey

The Bookmarks Manager doesn't have any of that stuff.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

One cannot hide the menu bar with Mac OS - fortunately. I would never want that to happen. Menu Bar is not listed in View > Show/Hide because it is not possible to hide it.

Oh, and you can still search for bookmarks, but you need to use the sidebar to do that. I can open the sidebar with Option-PageUp or Option-PageDown.