Solution for restoring old Preferences dialog in FF42?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
68xgEnMike

Solution for restoring old Preferences dialog in FF42?

Post by 68xgEnMike »

Sadly "browser.preferences.inContent" is no longer helping with FF42.

No disrespect to users who are enchanted, but I find it simply atrocious, sterile template like design.

I’ve been reading some claim "Classic Theme Restorer" is capable restoring, but I’m using CTR from the day one, and I’ve never found such option. Is it again that time in FF update, when entire fate rests on holy extension that would bring joy?

Anyone know other presently available solution to revert to old Preferences dialog?

Thank you.
DanRaisch

Re: Solution for restoring old Preferences dialog in FF42?

Post by DanRaisch »

If it is the appearance of the separate window display of "Options" that you object to, you may have to wait for someone to offer an new extension or theme that addresses that. To get Options to display in a separate window, call up the Classic Theme Restorer customization dialogue and select "General UI (1)" and then select "Open options page (about:preferences) in a window."
68xgEnMike

Post by 68xgEnMike »

Hello DanRaisch,

and thank you as always for prompt response.

Indeed, it is nothing but appearance that I'm troubled with, also, I'm very glad not the only one.

I can't wait to revert to old looks, this is truly horrid.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

CTR released a version today that gives you a seperate Prefs Window
viewtopic.php?p=14397029#p14397029
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
68xgEnMike

Post by 68xgEnMike »

Bless you JayhawksRock, and bless the author of Classic Restorer :)

So this is my rescue!

I wish it would stay in tab, rather then in separate window, also, if (with time) more polished emulation of old look would come at later date.

But make no mistake, it is one thing to talk, and another to work. I can't tell you how grateful I'm for this beta version.

Thank you so much!
Aris

Post by Aris »

68xgEnMike wrote:Bless you JayhawksRock, and bless the author of Classic Restorer :)

So this is my rescue!

I wish it would stay in tab, rather then in separate window, also, if (with time) more polished emulation of old look would come at later date.

But make no mistake, it is one thing to talk, and another to work. I can't tell you how grateful I'm for this beta version.

Thank you so much!
Thanks.

Adding an option to the current list to keep the 'preferences v2 ui' in a tab instead of opening a new window does not require any new code. I will add a switch for that in beta 12.
68xgEnMike

Post by 68xgEnMike »

Thank you Aris,

after the latest update : Ideal!

These days, I feel number of our Add-ons is starting to compete with bookmarks. When I scroll them, it is amazing how many of them serve noting else but to maintain normal look of FF, away from fashionable and forceful cosmetics Mozzila is making as wrong priority.

Thanks to good folks such as yourself, I can again sail a happy voyage with the latest FF.

Keeping my fingers crossed for "Better Privacy" Add-on to return in 42x as well.
xnw

Post by xnw »

After reading the posts here, I just went and updated Classic Theme Restorer, and updated to the latest version (1.4.3), which now includes the option to revert to Preferences in a window instead of a new tab. Fantastic!, and thanks to JayHawksRock for the alert to this change.

Now, if only there was a reversion to the earlier window under Privacy > History > Show Cookies, which could be enlarged to full screen and also allowed for selective removal of undesirable (or all) cookies. I notice that this removal feature still exists in the Exceptions window, and, unless I'm simply missing something, I wonder why it wasn't included in Show Cookies.

I tried the two beta versions available, as well, with no improvement.
Last edited by xnw on November 20th, 2015, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aris

Post by Aris »

The "Remove selected" and "Remove All" buttons do not get removed by CTR. Are you using a complete theme that maybe hides them or css tweaks to get rid of them?

xnw

Post by xnw »

Thanks, Aris --

I don't know the terms "complete theme" or "css tweaks", so I doubt that I've knowingly enabled anything that would result in the smaller Cookies window (compared with your shot) that I see. The window that does appear is obviously truncated, missing both the "Remove Selected" and "Remove All" buttons, as well as the "Expires" line in the field immediately above the two buttons in your view. Overall, the entire Cookies window just looks smaller than yours. Any ideas?
Aris

Post by Aris »

Post a screenshot of your default preferences area and cookies window/popup (with using CTRs option to show preferences in a window) and post a second screenshot with CTRs option to show preferences in a window enabled.

Maybe one of you add-ons increases font sizes.
xnw

Post by xnw »

If I understand correctly, I have taken a screen shot of the Preferences window, and another of the CTR window showing "Open options page (about:preferences) in a window" enabled.

I don't know how to post screen shots on this forum, and I see no instructions for doing so.

What I've already done is to run Firefox with all Add-ons disabled, and there was no difference in the Cookies window.

In CTR, I have tried the following options in General UI (1):

"Open options page (about:preferences) in a window"

"Open options page (about:preferences) in a window (v2)"

As mentioned earlier, I tried both beta versions of 1.4.4, with no success.

Thanks, Aris
Aris

Post by Aris »

Upload a screenshot here for example http://imgur.com/ and add a link to it in your post.

If you say the problem is still present without any add-ons active, a very high HiDPI value might be the reason, but a screenshot would probably clear things up.
xnw

Post by xnw »

Okay, let's see if this works (?)

By the way, when I disable ALL Add-ons, the Preferences window displays properly, in the newer Tab version.

With ONLY the CTR enabled, the Preferences window is still defective.

Also, as mentioned earlier, the EXCEPTIONS window displays correctly, with both buttons at bottom of screen

http://i.imgur.com/B0tb3MB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j63fc7H.jpg
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 21st, 2015, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore page formatting.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@xnw

Your font size is slightly different, but I have no idea why.
Here is how it look for me btw. looks like :

Fx42 + CTR 1.4.3 + open in window v1 + Windows classic vs
http://i.imgur.com/RvZCVFA.png