MozillaZine

(Resolved) Slow performance Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Post Posted October 28th, 2015, 9:45 am

It's probably not the update itself. I'm running the same version of Thunderbird on Windows Vista AND on Windows 10 and don't see any performance issues, crashing, or anything of the sort. The more likely source of the problem is your Thunderbird profile, where settings and user data are stored.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

beltguy

Post Posted October 28th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Windows Firewall is on
1 Service(s) from Norton/Symantec (Norton) detected
antispy process from Microsoft Windows Defender detected

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 28th, 2015, 4:05 pm

There you go, there's still some Norton process running out there and causing problems. Try downloading and running the uninstall utility from Symantec to get rid of that.

beltguy

Post Posted October 28th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Name: "nhra.com"
Addr (IPv4): 66.146.2.241
Canonical name: "nhra.com"
Time: 83.213 ms
Alternate resolution: 66.146.2.241
Alternate 2 (W2KPro and up):
Addr (IPv4): 66.146.2.241
Time: 16.636 ms

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 28th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Sorry but what was that in regard to?

beltguy

Post Posted October 28th, 2015, 4:42 pm

The second paste was the data generated by the second program in the link you listed.

I ran the Norton clean and then tried to download my email. There were 32 messages in one of my Godaddy mailboxes (no attachments) and it took well over 4 minutes. I finally started a stopwatch for the last 11 messages and it took 2 minutes 11 seconds to load messages 21 through 32.

Here is the latest scan;

Windows Firewall is on
antispy process from Microsoft Windows Defender detected

Jim

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 28th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Well you got rid of Norton and that's good. Try now deleting any entries in the Windows Firewall permissions list, rebooting and testing again.

beltguy

Post Posted October 30th, 2015, 8:09 am

Sorry, got side tracked with some projects. TB and FF are still very slow. Working on Firewall Permissions - should find time tonight.

Jim

beltguy

Post Posted October 30th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I have made a couple of stabs at removing permissions. Many will not let me delete or un-check from the personal and public networks.

Instead, I again disabled the firewall for both types of networks. No change

My frustration level is pretty high right now. A company that I do some work for uses MS exchange and the server times out every time I try to download mail.

Since FF is also slow, I will open a thread there to see if anything crops up.

Jim

LoudNoise

Post Posted October 30th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Edited the topic to make is Tb specific.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

beltguy

Post Posted November 1st, 2015, 6:38 am

Went to TB addons and deleted/deactivated all plugins and all extensions other that get all mail.

Still very slow.

Should I consider loading an older version of TB? Where can I get an older version.

beltguy

Post Posted November 1st, 2015, 6:41 am

I have to wonder out loud if I have a virus that is not being detected. Last night and today neither Chrome nor FF will load Facebook.

I am going to run both malwarebytes and MS scans. Any other thoughts?

Jim

buz_g

Post Posted November 1st, 2015, 8:13 pm

For a long time Thunderbird worked fine in Windows 7. When I upgraded to Windows 10 and even with a fresh install of Thunderbird I developed the erratic freezes plaguing many. Using a suggestion in a Windows 10 web site I found a cure for my particular problem. Maybe it will work for you.

Use File Explorer to find “Thunderbird.exe” in the folder c:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird, which in my case is version 38.3.0.

Right click on “thunderbird.exe” and then click on “Properties”

Click on the “Compatibility” tab at top, second from the left

A third of the way down check “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and then select Windows 7 in the associated drop down menu

At the bottom click “Apply” and “OK”

Reboot your computer.

In my case all the freezing has stopped, at least so far, when I send, receive, move or delete messages.

Good luck.

wsmwk

Post Posted November 3rd, 2015, 6:19 am

beltguy wrote:I have to wonder out loud if I have a virus that is not being detected. Last night and today neither Chrome nor FF will load Facebook.

I am going to run both malwarebytes and MS scans. Any other thoughts?

Jim

The fact that both Firefox and Thunderbird appear to be affected would seem to point to a common cause. I suspect Dan is on the right track. And I see no mention that you tested safe mode as he suggested. If we had that information, we could quickly rule out many possible causes of problems, and be able to focus on ones that might achieve progress. I advise users, as a first step, to do both Windows and Thunderbird safe mode at the same time.
Start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled
- win10 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... windows-10
- win8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -safe-mode
- win7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
Still In Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode
- http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/safe-mode

Also, iirc symantec at one time had a universal uninstaller, not shipped with the product. Perhaps something worth trying.

beltguy

Post Posted November 23rd, 2015, 7:07 am

Sorry for not updating this thread.

There were several things going on on the computer that I was using that suggested it was in the process of dying. It was a three year old Toshiba laptop and it just kept getting more and more squirrely.

I have now replaced that computer with a Dell 2in1 and everything, including TB and FF, is working great.

Thanks for all the input.

Jim

Return to Thunderbird Support