Solution for restoring old Preferences dialog in FF42?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
WaltS48

Re: Solution for restoring old Preferences dialog in FF42?

Post by WaltS48 »

One wonders if xnw has tried re-sizing that Cookies window by grabbing the lower right corner and dragging it.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
xnw

Post by xnw »

Aris wrote:@xnw

Your font size is slightly different, but I have no idea why.
Here is how it look for me btw. looks like :

Fx42 + CTR 1.4.3 + open in window v1 + Windows classic vs
http://i.imgur.com/RvZCVFA.png
Hi, Aris --

After reading your reply and then WLS's, I checked the Preferences window again, and all was as it should be! Could it have been a simple matter of restarting the computer? Although, I THINK I'd already tried that, but maybe not.

Anyway, many thanks for your help with this issue, and for the CTR itself. It's helped preserve my sanity in the face of too many FF "updates".
Aris

Post by Aris »

xnw, I saw you are using the Windows Classic visual style. CTRs preference "open option page in a window v2" is closer to your OS theme (in CTR 1.4.4 beta 3).

https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/classi ... 1.4.4beta3

xnw

Post by xnw »

Thanks, Aris --

Yes, I definitely like the look of the window in CTR 1.4.4 beta 3. Much easier on the eyes. Do you recommend using that now, or waiting for the final version? I'm actually on my son's computer while he's away with my laptop, so I don't want to get in too deep on this one and risk messing it up.

I asked my son to install the 1.4.3 final version on my laptop and let me know how it looked. No problems, and the Preferences windows looked okay to him on the first try. That's good.

I've been looking at a few different versions of your latest betas, and to do so, I've just been clicking Install to go from one to another. Is that okay to do, or is there a more correct way of going back and forth?
Aris

Post by Aris »

If you require that feature now, you can of course keep using CTR betas. Its not unsafe. ;-)
68xgEnMike

Post by 68xgEnMike »

@Aris

Thank you for this: https://picload.org/image/pwoiwgl/ffctr ... 015-01.png

After FF43 update, the old revert is of no use, and this is heaven sent. I wonder, why do you call it experimental?

However, while I was updating my other Jondofox browser, where I also use Classic Theme Restorer, I’ve learn today, that TAB option is gone.

Now I see in regular FF, it is also gone. Is this temporary? As long as I can keep "the old dialog" I can cope with separate window, but just wonder, what was the reason for such change?

regards
Aris

Post by Aris »

It isl 'experimental', because I'm still tweaking it. ;-)
Next CTR beta will introduce a few tweaks and internal fixes for the old search.

Some CTR preferences are only visible on some Firefox versions, so make sure you are using the latest Fx and CTR option to see all "preference page" options.
68xgEnMike

Post by 68xgEnMike »

Aris, you are expedient beyond words ;)

EDIT:

Indeed, with regular FF43, dialog is again in TAB as I like, although I haven’t changed anything. However, my regular FF 43 says 1.4.5beta6 : https://img3.picload.org/image/pwopgda/ ... egualr.png

While Jondofox says 1.4.4: https://picload.org/image/pwopgdr/ffctr ... 2jondo.png

As you can see I have exactly the same setup, but in Jondo, CTR refuses to be shown in TAB, and only shows as separate window. Why is it that my regular version allowed update to the latest Beta, and my Jondo failed to do so, and remained on older version? Not a problem, manual will remedy this, but just curios.

thanks for your support and superb work

P.S. Edit: strange, I have updated to the latest FF and CRT with Jondofox, with exactly the same setup, and Jondo refuses to show dialog in TAB, only as separate window.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Maybe I still not fully understood what you trying to say, but CTRs prefwindow never opened in a tab. Are you probably referring to the preferences page (about:preferences)?
All of its options are in "Options page" category like shown on the above screenshots. They also work in Jondofox.
68xgEnMike

Post by 68xgEnMike »

Sorry Aris, a very long day and tired mind.

Yes, you are correct, I was speaking about "Options page"category.

But enigma remains. I have exactly the same versions, exactly the same setups, but for life of me, Jondo insists on opening "Options page" in individual fashion. While normal FF follows the TAB routine. Nothing to worry about, I don’t really have frequent need for options in Jondo anyway. But in previous version when you kept dialog box menu, Jondo was behaving like normal FF, following as promised via TAB.