Bookmarks Manager Search Gone in SM 2.3.9 (Mac)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bbowens

Re: Bookmarks Manager Search Gone in SM 2.3.9 (Mac)

Post by bbowens »

the question remains...will this be fixed?
MacPro Desktop mid-2010, 2 x 2.66ghz, 40gb RAM, OS 10.14.6
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The question remains... does anyone on OSX know how to use DOM Inspector or want to learn so they can tell us what's going on? And a second question also remains... have any of you long-time users bothered to file a bug yet?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
bbowens

Post by bbowens »

sorry, I do not. How do you file a bug?
patrickjdempsey wrote:The question remains... does anyone on OSX know how to use DOM Inspector or want to learn so they can tell us what's going on? And a second question also remains... have any of you long-time users bothered to file a bug yet?
MacPro Desktop mid-2010, 2 x 2.66ghz, 40gb RAM, OS 10.14.6
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

In this case you don't need to file a bug, because someone already has done so (linked above, but for those who missed it, here it is again https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1224907).
Please do not comment in the bug unless you have additional information to contribute - too many useless comments can cause a bug to get restricted and/or ignored.
patrickjdempsey

OSX users please try this:

- Open your profile folder.
- With SeaMonkey closed, open xulstore.json.
- Search "placesToolbar", change the attribute "autohide" to "false", save the file.
- Reopen SeaMonkey and launch the Bookmarks Manager.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

patrickjdempsey wrote:OSX users please try this:

- Open your profile folder.
- With SeaMonkey closed, open xulstore.json.
- Search "placesToolbar", change the attribute "autohide" to "false", save the file.
- Reopen SeaMonkey and launch the Bookmarks Manager.
In xulstore.json, there is only one line that has "placesToolbar", and there is no "autohide".

Code: Select all

{"ordinal":"1","width":"556"},"placesToolbar":{"collapsed":"false"},"placesContentKeyword":
That is the line. There is no searchbar in the bookmarks manager window, but there is one in the sidebar.
How does that file differentiate the sidebar bookmarks display from the manager bookmarks display?
patrickjdempsey

The sidebar has absolutely nothing to do with the bookmarks manager, it's a totally different UI. Xulstore just stores the state and position of various XUL interfaces. As explained in the bug and as I tried to explain earlier, the searchbar isn't gone, it just lives in a toolbar that is technically a menubar and is thus hidden by the new menubar autohide stuff.

Try adding that property to xulstore.json:

"placesToolbar":{"collapsed":"false","autohide":"false"}
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

That has no effect, and that is not surprising. The menu bar for Mac applications is at the top of the screen outside the application window and is controlled by the operating system, which does not support making changes to the menus on the fly and does not support atypical structures in there either. There is no autohide for a Mac OS menu bar. There is therefore no searchbar inside the Mac OS menu bar for the bookmarks manager window, and no menubar inside that window.
patrickjdempsey

Please don't lecture me on the structure of the XUL browser, especially when you don't know what you are talking about. I suggested that as I thought there was a slim chance it might work and it would tell me better what is going on. From that evidence and the info in the bug, this is what I can tell you all is apparently happening:

- First off, there are a few kinds of menu elements in XUL. There is an actual menubar element which is directly around the menu entries itself, and there is toolbar[type="menubar"]. The menubar element itself is not customizable and is a solid element defined by the application. The toolbar[type="menubar"] is like any other toolbar... it's customizable and has a context menu and is styled by the theme to match OS menu elements. In most Gecko application windows, a menubar is placed inside of a toolbar[type="menubar"].

- In OSX, both kinds of menu elements are still generated by the XUL application, but they are hidden.

- In the Bookmarks Manager, the menubar element used to sit inside of a plain toolbar, but in SM 2.39 they changed this to a toolbar[type="menubar"]. Previously, the menubar element was hidden because of OSX, but the plain toolbar was not, so the searchbar remained visible. However in SM 2.39, the change to toolbar[type="menubar"] means that the entire toolbar is hidden instead of just the menubar.

- So the "fix" is removing the type="menubar" from the #placesToolbar. I'm not sure this will work as not all properties are controlled by xulstore, but you can try editing that entry in xulstore again:

"placesToolbar":{"collapsed":"false","type":""}
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I was simply reporting what I have observed. If the application cannot send immediately the items that are to appear in the menu to the operating system the instant it gains focus, then any subsequent attempts to modify the menu will not work. For instance, I tried using userChrome.css to modify the content of the Bookmarks menu, and that did nothing. I have never seen the Mac OS menu bar hidden by any application. I have also never seen a search box in the Mac OS menu bar.

Your latest code works. Thanks.
patrickjdempsey

Anonymosity wrote:I have never seen the Mac OS menu bar hidden by any application. I have also never seen a search box in the Mac OS menu bar.
](*,) I was very clearly talking about the SeaMonkey application XUL menu toolbar which is part of all versions of SeaMonkey on all platforms. Even after you've made it reappear with my code you still don't believe it exists?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

But the bar that appeared in the bookmark window does not have a menu in it. It just has a searchbar (at the right end). The bookmarks manager does have a menu bar at the top of the screen outside of the window when it has focus.
patrickjdempsey

As I explained, the menu itself is hidden, and the toolbar that appeared *is* the menu toolbar. Structurally it looks something like this:

[ toolbar (type="menubar")
[menubar] [searchbar] ]

In OSX, Gecko hides all items that are menubar elements, and that are toolbar(type="menubar") elements. When you change that line in xulstore, it removes the type="menubar" from the toolbar, so SM doesn't hide it anymore. But the menubar element is still hidden:

[ toolbar (type="") [menubar] [searchbar] ]

Edit: BTW, because these elements are present in OSX and just hidden, it might even be possible to restore them with just CSS, but that would again require someone with knowledge of CSS and DOMi on OSX to discover that.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Ok, thanks for the explanation. That was not clear to me. I thought a menubar had to have a menu in it. Since the bookmarks manager window has a menu at the top of the screen, that is quite adequate, so I do not need more.
ray2047

Post by ray2047 »

Just skimmed this thread maybe I missed it or misunderstood but in Linux Ctrl+b brings up the bookmark manager with search at the top right. Has that been tried in OSx? Maybe Cmd+b?
As Always: I may be right. I may be wrong.