The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.

The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Post by 4711 »

Hi there!

Mouse Gesture Redox is now officially dead.

Jochen
fxe

Re: The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Post by fxe »

Jochen, thank you for your work on this wonderful Add-on. I have used it for years, and now gestures are ingrained in my regular browsing habits.

I hope you enjoyed your time on this project. Good luck with your future endeavors.
fxe

Post by fxe »

With Mouse Gestures Redox officially gone, I will attempt to use All-in-One Gestures as a replacement. I'll miss Redox, though.

Thanks again.
bittermelon

Post by bittermelon »

Is there any way to take over this project?
TheGlow

Post by TheGlow »

Shame to hear this. I was using ffox 3.0 still to use redox.
At work I remember installing Firefox 12 and getting this to work.
I went so far as to remote into citrix and then rdp to my workstation to get the redox folder.
Shame no one is just hosting the last nightly.
I tried all in one. All these other options have yet to bother with middle mouse for rocker gestures.
That alone was the game breaker.
J-Wo

Post by J-Wo »

I have found the last working version of Mouse Gestures Redox! If the link is dead, try googling for mozgest_20120202.xpi and hopefully you can find more mirrors.
http://minus.com/mQSlOBeEv/

Post by 4711 »

J-Wo wrote:I have found the last working version of Mouse Gestures Redox! If the link is dead, try googling for mozgest_20120202.xpi and hopefully you can find more mirrors.
http://minus.com/mQSlOBeEv/

Somewhat more "official":
http: .mousegestures.org/download/nightly/mozgest_20120202.xpi
icxu

Post by icxu »

Dropbox mirror: [url]http://icxulescu.blogspot.ro/2013/01/mouse-gestures-redox-for-firefox-12-17.html[/url]
distance0

Post by distance0 »

Is it possible to make this addon signed?
Noitidart

Post by Noitidart »

distance0 wrote:Is it possible to make this addon signed?
Excellent question! I support this, this is the greatest addon ever. A part of history I never want to see lost.

I think we can request @4711 to upload as unlisted or listed, to get this signed, that would be awesome!
zaril

Post by zaril »

Noitidart wrote:
distance0 wrote:Is it possible to make this addon signed?
Excellent question! I support this, this is the greatest addon ever. A part of history I never want to see lost.

I think we can request @4711 to upload as unlisted or listed, to get this signed, that would be awesome!
Is Jochen aka 4711 informed about this topic?
I would really appreciate when this addon gets signed for use in Firefox 43+. Actually there is currently no mouse gestures addon available which is as complete as mouse gestures redox. we really need to get this working again.
TheGlow

Post by TheGlow »

Yes, firefox just updated and warned me in 44.0 it will not work at all anymore.
Again, a shame. Every few months I try one of the other versions and they dont do something right.
Like the tab swapping rocker buttons. I like to hold middle mouse and left/right click to go back and forth on tabs. Some dont have the feature at all or others don't do it well and right clicking to next tab also opens a context menu.
Or right click hold to do gestures triggers a context menu.
zaril

Post by zaril »

Indeed!
middle mouse button (and configurable) rocker-buttons is what I miss most in all these other gesture addons.
But that's not all.
Mouse Gesture Redox is obviously the only Gesture Addon supporting diagonal gestures, not just left,right,up,down. I used them very frequently since years.. I really don't know how to integrate them in other addons with just u,d,l,r directions..
So this addon really needs to revive!
4711 is obviously not going to do anything again. One could simply just resubmit the old addon to get a signing.. but with WebExtensions on the horizon it is questionable if it'll work with firefox any longer...
the other option is to use the the developer or unsigned version of firefox so one could use the old addon for a bit longer..
Everything is getting worse with firefox I'm really sad about that.
nabucco

Post by nabucco »

Well, I found Firegestures (https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/a ... egestures/) and works well.
zaril

Post by zaril »

nabucco wrote:Well, I found Firegestures (https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/a ... egestures/) and works well.
"Firegestures", "Mouse Gestures Suite", "All-in-One Gestures" - all of them are not replacing "Mouse Gestures (Redox)".
Because all of them do NOT support diagonal gestures, just up/left/right/down. And they have no rocker gestures with customizable buttons so one could use the middle mouse button for rocker gestures.
So in conclusion: there is currently no Gesture addon available replacing all of the features that "Mouse Gestrues (redox)" had.
if you can adopt to other mouse gesture addons with less features you are very lucky.