Subscription settings - how notified?

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
PaulBags

Subscription settings - how notified?

Post by PaulBags »

Hi, "Below is a list of forums and topics you are subscribed to. You will be notified of new posts in either. To unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button." <-- that's all well and good but there's no explanation about _how_ "you will be notified" or how to alter those settings?
DanRaisch

Re: Subscription settings - how notified?

Post by DanRaisch »

That information is also in the User Control Panel where you found that quote. Try the tab for "Board Preferences" and then select "Edit posting defaults" to choose whether or not you should be notified of replies (by email) by default.
PaulBags

Post by PaulBags »

Everywhere only says 'notify', nothing says 'by email'. I see by this reply that it's not, but it _could_ mean that one would have to log in to get notifications. If it means 'by email' then it should say 'by email'.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

AFAIK....You do not have to be logged in to receive email notifications.
The "board" has all the necessary info to contact you.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
PaulBags

Post by PaulBags »

"Notifications" doesn't explicitly mean 'email', there's plenty of ways to notify something & nowhere does it connect 'notification' to 'email'.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

How else is it going to do it ......carrier pigeon ? Stop being so pedantic
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
PaulBags

Post by PaulBags »

There are websites & forums with a notification system on site/at login, how am I supposed to _know_ how it does it if it doesn't tell me? Mind reading?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You'll be notified by email and can then review the thread involved. End of story.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I've never bothered with subscriptions, seems like a waste of time. Just click on the View Your Posts link on the upper right. Heck, I made that my bookmark for this site so I can just go directly to that page. Subscriptions are only useful if you don't plan on coming back here very often, kind of ironic because the more difficult thing is really for more novice users.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/