Mozilla spending $15,000 to remove the term “slave”

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
PadaV4

Mozilla spending $15,000 to remove the term “slave”

Post by PadaV4 »

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/12/1 ... ards-made/

Im happy that Mozilla is finally tackling the important issues head on. It was about time, after all its YEAR 2015!
LoudNoise

Re: Mozilla spending $15,000 to remove the term “slave”

Post by LoudNoise »

Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This shouldn't seem so out of line, intellectuals and the overly educated have been doing this for centuries to placate someone they are afraid of.
IMO, It certainly doesn't come from need, empathy or real sympathy.
30 years ago a notable laboratory with a machine facility stopped using the term "jig" when referring to setup hardware.
Applications would be in writing for a grant or describing a project where the funding needed to explained and accountable somewhere.
Terminology along the vein of,". . . funds for this part of the project are applied to the establishing of functional jigs and fixtures to manufacture the required parts."
Needless to say this became a great joke in the machine facility, and many of the Irish were wondering if this meant no dancing.
Political correctness is historic and often misguided.
Wonder how they'll deal with describing replacing slave cylinders?
It's in the vocabulary and only someone half a bubble off plumb would think it proper to try and remove the word from the language.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

I think they're talking out their asses.
Or at least smoking some good weed.

They're throwing 15K to the removal of the word 'slave'.
But at the same time, they're throwing 200K to the 'Bro'!

Yo, bro! Whaz Happening?

I wonder what politically correct term they're going to use in place of the word, slave?

Sigh.

I mean really! The law went into effect in 2003, CNN: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials say, yet here we are today, 12 years later, & the issue still persists!
Well, I'll tell you what, I vow to re-purpose all my existing IDE HDD's - before the next millennium.

Actually I think this "slave" bit is just a rouse to avoid us from examining their CodeMirror because if we were to ReadTheDocs we might run into some Discourse. But then maybe not, because wasn't Django Unchained about slavery too? And maybe its not the weed that they're smoking, but rather when they stopped smoking it that they've become very Mercurial. Bro.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

therube wrote:I think they're talking out their asses.
Be careful... the donkey/burro naming-society might spend 20k to see that you don't
use that term anymore :lol: ... This whole PC crap is getting way out of hand. What Grumpus said about 'jig' ... I was thinking along the same lines but 'fishing jig' came to mind... what do we call it now? Do the fish care?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

A Google search returns thousands of references similar to this http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a105-to-market.htm
Shameful.. Shutdown Google or make them remove such content ?
And while they are at it.... check the Public Libraries
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

If this actually had anything to do with slavery and less with Mozilla's American-centric obsessive guilt about negroes then there might be a point to it, but it doesn't.

I could write about slavery in Greek and Roman times (incidentally, apart from keeping many slaves, Greece was not the 'Mother of Democracy', Iran was) or about Arab slave traders in the early Middle Ages who used to make off with entire villages of people living near the Cornish or Devon coastline in England or indeed about just how damn keen the Spanish Empire always was on slavery. But...

...instead, let's turn to modern times. What does the word 'trafficking' mean to you? No one? It means this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_slavery and if Mozilla want to appease their guilt then their grants should be going here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_Free_Foundation

MOSS is an ongoing program, with an initial allocation of $1 million. The above awards allocate just over half of that money ($503,000),
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/12/1 ... ards-made/

The above is also around the same as was paid to Mitchell Baker, Chairwoman of the Mozilla Foundation in 2006. Last year, she trousered well over a million bucks.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/b ... zillabanks
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

This whole PC crap is getting way out of hand.
By that do you mean Political Correctness or Personal Computer?
Or something entirely different, per chance?

These euphemisms are simply draining my brain.

Maybe everything should simply resolve to It.
Nice concise word.
Not too long, not to short. Sort of middle-ground.

A group of people were watching movie & I asked what they were watching?
It, they responded.
But I wasn't interested, so I went babbling on about other things.
But I got shish'd, Shhh!
Sh,it is on, they said.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

therube wrote:
This whole PC crap is getting way out of hand.
By that do you mean Political Correctness or Personal Computer?
Or something entirely different, per chance?
Political Correctness = PC in this case... but you know... the other PC ... you know... this thing that's attached to this K.B. ... welllll... it and where 'info-tech' is going... blows my mind at times... like I need to always know when Justin Bieber or the Kardashian's took a crap or how big Kim's butt is today? ... a friend just emailed me an audio (probably old) but it was a tape of a radio show trying to educate a woman (and it could have been a guy ...they can be just as stupid) ... about why they have deer crossing signs near high volume traffic... she felt that the signs should be move to low traffic areas so that the deer wouldn't be hit so often... she thought that the deer were crossing there because 'we' put signs up to let them know where to cross.... and people like that vote? ... help me!!!
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dfoulkes wrote:.. welllll... it and where 'info-tech' is going... blows my mind at times... like I need to always know when Justin Bieber or the Kardashian's took a crap or how big Kim's butt is today? ... a friend just emailed me an audio (probably old) but it was a tape of a radio show trying to educate a woman (and it could have been a guy ...they can be just as stupid) ... about why they have deer crossing signs near high volume traffic... she felt that the signs should be move to low traffic areas so that the deer wouldn't be hit so often... she thought that the deer were crossing there because 'we' put signs up to let them know where to cross.... and people like that vote? ... help me!!!
You know what you need? - a tablet computer. The trouble with PCs is that they don't do much. You can watch the odd film, listen(again) to some of your music, but if you're in 'relax mode', then what? Then you turn to the Internet, which surely is the biggest waste of time ever invented.

Tablet computers bring back what PCs should have been about all along. I've gone for an entire day with one and never opened a browser once. Those 'apps and games' aren't just children's 'shoot 'em ups', many are proper entertainment.

Check them out.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

therube wrote:But then maybe not, because wasn't Django Unchained about slavery too?
Sure, but what if they named it after the original Django? A Mexican mercenary played by an Italian in brown-face who kills just about everyone who crosses his path in one of the most violent films ever made? Couldn't be anything racist about that would there?

(Great flipping theme song though)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote: But then maybe not, because wasn't Django Unchained about slavery too?
Nope, it was a travelogue programme for National Geographic. Great scenery, I'm told.

Interestingly though, that film (the D is silent btw) does actually have a Firefox connection. On the first day of shooting, just skies and general scenery stuff, it just so happened that a number of Firefox Addon Developers were caught on film on their way to a nearby AMO 'Signing' Convention and they appear after 38 seconds in this previously unseen footage in the link. I'm told, that the director (but appalling actor) liked their unplanned appearance so much that he intended to leave it in the final film.

No idea if he did, as it's not my kind of film at all. So Everybody, Calm Down....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcEfbTUAP0E

Good ol' Mozilla. Who'd have ever thought that slavery would be an on-topic subject in Firefox General? But, it is. :P
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Frank - I can see you've never been in the Hood, the D would be pronounced.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

apart from keeping many slaves, Greece was not the 'Mother of Democracy', Iran was)
yeah, I watched that CrashCourse video too. obviously, they are wrong.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

How about "CEO" and "unpaid worker?"
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network