contacts sidebar

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
coflyer

contacts sidebar

Post by coflyer »

I have looked through all the settings and can't find if there is anyplace where I can set the default Contact Addressbook to Personal Addressbook and have it come up with that when beginning to write an email. At the moment, it always starts with All Addressbooks and I want just Personal Address book to come up with a note.
LIMPET235

Re: contacts sidebar

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I'm not up on all the features or extensions but this one may suit...
> http://sparkyio.com/cs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As far as I am aware there is no option or extension for that as yet. Note that the suggested extension was last updated on February 4 of this year, months before the release of the "All Address Books" default in the contacts sidebar display in version 38/39. There is a bug filed and it is anticipated that an option to set a default address book will be included in the next release. That should come within a few weeks.
PurpleRain63

Post by PurpleRain63 »

:(
DanRaisch wrote: That should come within a few weeks.

Dan, any further word on when we're going to get the option (not an add-on PLEASE) to set a default address book to come up in the contacts pane when opening a mail window? It's been MORE than a few weeks.
Lorraine in Westbank, BC
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It wasn't fixed in 38.3.0. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1142705 appears to the associated bug report. Its been assigned, but that person didn't answer a question from QA on 2015-08-22 asking whether they are working on the bug (i.e. checking that the right person was assigned).
Macsworx

Post by Macsworx »

3/12/2015
Now up to 38.4 and still not fixed. Originally reported by Dickel on the 19th June 2015.
This is enough reason to move to another email program.
You ask for comments to improve the program but nothing happens.
I would welcome a reply.
macsworx
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You ask for comments to improve the program but nothing happens.
I would welcome a reply.
We did not ask for comments as we are not Mozilla. Please see the "about" link in the right hand column which explains that this forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.
Macsworx

Post by Macsworx »

My apologies. Wrong forum. But still unhappy with Mozilla as this particular bug still is not corrected and affects me in the work I do.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

If you look at the bug report the Target Milestone is Thunderbird 45, and status-thunderbird38: is wontfix.

As a daily Thunderbird 45 user I can confirm the bug is fixed.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Macsworx wrote:My apologies. Wrong forum. But still unhappy with Mozilla as this particular bug still is not corrected and affects me in the work I do.
There are many, many (many) bugs unfixed - too many to get fixed by the limited number of volunteers available to fix them. It's not like this one is being singled out or actively ignored.
WLS wrote:If you look at the bug report the Target Milestone is Thunderbird 45, and status-thunderbird38: is wontfix.
Just to be clear - wontfix notation for thunderbird38 means essentially the development release 38, not the esr release. And in fact, we recently moved to get this bug fixed in esr 38.5.0 - should be out in a week or two.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Where is that convention (that won't fix only applies to the development release) written down? I can't find that in What to do and what not to do in Bugzilla , Bugzilla help or An explanation about versions and builds for testing....
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

tanstaafl wrote:Where is that convention (that won't fix only applies to the development release) written down? I can't find that in What to do and what not to do in Bugzilla , Bugzilla help or An explanation about versions and builds for testing....
Well, the last URL, despite all the talk about versions, doesn't speak well to how versions are used in bugzilla. So the first order of business is how understand how version and flag information is used in bugzilla. It's rather common sense and hasn't changed in many years.

Thunderbird only releases esr. So simply, the determination of whether a patch is on an ESR version N or not is:

1. If target milestone = N and the bug is closed FIXED, then the issue will ship in the esr for version N (target milestone is where the patch initially landed during developement)

2. And if target milestone > N, then the patch might be uplifted to esr N
2a) If it meets the standards set by QA, drivers and others as being desired for uplift then it is notated by the flag tracking-thunderbird_esrN nn+, where + indicates it is approved and nn is the release number that it is approved for
2b) the flag status-thunderbird_esrN if present indicates whether the release is affected, not affected, or fixed (or wontfix)

You can see all of this in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1142705

The bible on this is at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Flags

Support personnel who frequently advise users about known issues would be well advised to have an understanding of such bugzilla basics.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I'll try to get a better handle on it, even though Thunderbird only has mainstream releases.

The Thunderbird Extended Support Releases (ESR) have now been merged into the mainstream releases.
Thunderbird Extended Release Support for Your Organization, Business, Enterprise - Overview — Mozilla

So even though Thunderbird 38.0.x are mainstream releases, we should think of them as ESR releases.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5