Images Not Being Constrained, Resized - Incorrectly

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
therube

Images Not Being Constrained, Resized - Incorrectly

Post by therube »

Images Not Being Constrained
Images Being Resized, incorrectly

Nothing odd with the code:

Code: Select all

[img]http://s25.postimage.org/rng4fx6rf/running_naked_at_zine.gif[/img]

Actual size on the right.
Enlarged size on the left - /on this board/.

And what happens is that a "normal sized" screenshot now becomes oversized when posted on this board, "breaking" the board.

http://postimage.org/

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Re: Images Not Being Constrained, Resized - Incorrectly

Post by therube »

Top image, preview mode on this board, basically fits.
Once posted, the user [name & whatnot] column are now also included, the image is too large, breaking the board.
And compare to the original image as posted on postimage (from this thread, viewtopic.php?p=14243363#p14243363).
Original screenshot should fit this board, but does not.
It does on other phpbb boards.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

viewtopic.php?p=14243243#p14243243

Seriously ;-).

> Last edited by Daifne on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
> Reason: removed img tags. Size of image breaking forum format.

And yet the image above that one, even in "thumbnail" form is larger then then one that was removed.
(Now that image's original size, 1,328px by 681px, that is quite understandable.)

Why does one work & not the other?
therube

Post by therube »

Bump.

Any number of pages can be pointed to where images are not being constrained properly.
And I'm not complaining that a too large image breaks things.
I'm complaining that the board either increases the size of images - where it should not be, or that it does not effectively constrain the size of a "too large image".

viewtopic.php?p=14438159#p14438159
Image breaks the board.
If you view its source, http://i.imgur.com/TISBRLZh.jpg, it is smaller then what is displayed on the board itself.
That smaller image is less likely to break the board.

LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

This image, anyway, is the same size as the first posted one. The reason it seems to fit is preview is because you are view it without the stuff on the left side. This forum does not change the size of any image as far as I know.

In the image you linked to, the image breaks the format more because it is in a quote box and therefore offset more.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
therube

Post by therube »

> This image, anyway, is the same size as the first posted one.

Right.
But is bigger then its source.

> This forum does not change the size of any image as far as I know.

But it does, AFAICT.

> In the image you linked to, the image breaks the format more because it is in a quote box and therefore offset more.

Yes, I noticed that too.
But even when not quoted, such as you posted just above, that too "breaks" the forum.

1. forum broken
2. after applying a "fit-to-width" bookmarklet - better, at the least, the full textual portion fits
3. after fully removing the broken image (different perspective) - now the full page fits, including the search box ...

therube

Post by therube »

HOLD ON, maybe its me-ish...

It is.
I have mozillazine set to 120% (zoom).
But still... [scratcheshead]...?

Informaction: Test - Big Image

voidtools: Test - Big Image

Both those board behave similarly, but differently from here.
Maybe the truncation of the image is expected when it doesn't fit (as opposed to having scroll bars appear for the image, or something like that).
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

informaction behaves differently from here because user profiles are on the left here and the right there, so on informaction the overflow:hidden style truncates the image but here despite the same CSS there's nothing on the right of the post in such a way for that CSS to truncate the image? :-k
LN here

Post by LN here »

Are those boards hosting the image?
therube

Post by therube »

No, they're hosted on imgur.com, hotlinked in the forum(s).
(right-click) View Image or Properites (among other ways) will show you that.
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, on a bigger monitor now, & the image LoudNoise linked *happens* to fit - on this monitor.
(And that's with zoom at 150% too.)
But if I reduce the page from Maximized to say, only half-screen notice how it differs here & on the other sites.

Here, the forum breaks (unless you like horizontal scrolling to read a post).
Other places, the forum continues to fit the page as expected (with the image likewise truncated to fit the available space).
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

There is no constraint on image size in this forum software and never has been since I got here. This is why the mods regularly have to kill img tags.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
therube

Post by therube »

Then there should be, perhaps ;-).

RFE.

I'd rather have an image cropped (truncated) rather then have to scroll horizontally to "correctly" view a thread.
And I'm sure the mods would rather not have to kill the tags or ask the poster to modify their image.

Now, if it does truncate, & if it can determine that it has done so, if it could post something like, "Truncated... View Image to see in full glory :-)", might be nice.
(I know I have do so myself at times when I know an image I've posted has been truncated, & it might otherwise not be entirely obvious.)
therube

Post by therube »

browser.zoom.full;false may help out - assuming you want it set that way (& thinking I do not).
Though that is not a "fix", rather only a work-around that may help.
staywithme

Post by staywithme »

I sometime change pic size but when I upload using Mozilla it says pic is till to big