The new Search engine functions are AWFUL!

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
bickle2

Re: The new Search engine functions are AWFUL!

Post by bickle2 »

I hate this change. Giving the user less functionality is never a good move.
Ach3r0n

Post by Ach3r0n »

I'm also used to having the search bar next to the location bar, although I never use it. It acts as an separator, as I don't like having too many buttons on the right side to fill up the space, or having the location bar become too long. I just tried replacing the search bar with empty space blocks. You need at least 10 to 12 empty space block to prevent the location bar from getting resized. A variable sized space block doesn't work. And it feels like something is missing.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

A little bit of code for userChrome.css can fix the length of the URL bar.

Code: Select all

#urlbar-container {max-width:1050px!important}
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

patrickjdempsey wrote: Mozilla does *not* like to support non-default features.
I wonder how they feel about the folks on this board tweaking and improving their code.:mrgreen:
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

They don't like this forum much either.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

patrickjdempsey wrote:They don't like this forum much either.
I've been wondering about that for years. So they don't like open source so much anymore. Like Egypt's first try at democratic elections, and we know where that went.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:They don't like this forum much either.
I've been wondering about that for years. So they don't like open source so much anymore. Like Egypt's first try at democratic elections, and we know where that went.
What does "they don't like open source so much more" have to do with the new Search engine awful functionality?
That's just silly.

And as far as if Mozilla doesn't like mozillaZine, why should anyone here care what Mozilla thinks?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

the-edmeister wrote: What does "they don't like open source so much more" have to do with the new Search engine awful functionality?
That's just silly.

And as far as if Mozilla doesn't like mozillaZine, why should anyone here care what Mozilla thinks?
I was replying to patrickdempsey, and I admit we were going off-topic. :oops:
alexandroid

Post by alexandroid »

Is there a contact of UX designer for the Search Bar? I find it worse as the old one, because I cannot switch to a different search engine and use it for typing new queries (Ctrl+K, type, hit Enter). Now it forces me to choose the engine again and again every time I search. Am I missing something?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

alexandroid

Post by alexandroid »

the-edmeister wrote:Yes you're missing something.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ar-firefox
Thanks for the link! Still, I don't see the answer on my question there. Say, my default engine is Google but for the next 10 searches I want to search Wikipedia. How do I do that? Previously the search bar would remember the engine until I switched it (and it displayed the icon)... now I am forced to use the mouse to click it each time I search.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Install 'Classic Theme Restorer' ....Options > General UI (1) > Check 'Old search' (it's the top option)

@Evidently some of us have a way of searching alien to the spotty geeks at Mozilla.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

alexandroid wrote:
the-edmeister wrote:Yes you're missing something.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ar-firefox
Thanks for the link! Still, I don't see the answer on my question there. Say, my default engine is Google but for the next 10 searches I want to search Wikipedia. How do I do that? Previously the search bar would remember the engine until I switched it (and it displayed the icon)... now I am forced to use the mouse to click it each time I search.
To do what you want. If I used Google as my default, then wanted to use Wikipedia for the next 10 searches, I would go to the search bar, click the little down arrow that appears when I hover my mouse over the magnifying glass, click Change Search Engines, set Wikipedia as the default, leave the Search tab open, and do my 10 searches, then set Google as my default again in the Search tab and close it.

Why can't you use the OneClick Wikipedia search button for one search, then search for the other nine right on Wikipedia?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
hammer666

Post by hammer666 »

WLS wrote: To do what you want. If I used Google as my default, then wanted to use Wikipedia for the next 10 searches, I would go to the search bar, click the little down arrow that appears when I hover my mouse over the magnifying glass, click Change Search Engines, set Wikipedia as the default, leave the Search tab open, and do my 10 searches, then set Google as my default again in the Search tab and close it.

Why can't you use the OneClick Wikipedia search button for one search, then search for the other nine right on Wikipedia?
Quite simpel: Wikipedia search (or Amazon or eBay ...) does not open a new tab in the background, the search bar does, the way it is configured on my machine.
I do several searches, then watch them. This way I don't have to switch between Mouse and Keyboard that often.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Quite simpel: Wikipedia search (or Amazon or eBay ...) does not open a new tab in the background, the search bar does, the way it is configured on my machine.
I do several searches, then watch them. This way I don't have to switch between Mouse and Keyboard that often
There are probably other exts. that also do this... but I use Tab Mix Plus... it has an option in it to control tabs that are created when using either the loc or search bar... I like mine to focus when I search... but you do not... so I got into TMP, changed one setting, did a search and the tab opened in the background... if I did 10 searches it then have 10 new tabs all opened in the background...

Tab Mix Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!