[Ext] Which Cookie manager do you use?

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Reflective

[Ext] Which Cookie manager do you use?

Post by Reflective »

I've been using Cookie Whitelist for a few weeks now and it works just fine on this site and many others, but even after whitelisting both Outlook.com and Youtube.com I can't access either unless I disable the extension which in turn re-enables accepting cookies in the Firefox Privacy manager.

I contacted the developer and he told me that Mozilla is differentiating between http:// and https:// sites now and that I should copy/paste both URLs if I come across any. That seemed to fix the problem initially, but since 43.0.1 installed this morning, it seems to be back to being unable to logon to either YT or Outlook again with the extension enabled.

Maybe this has something to do with Microsoft's plans to revoke 20 CAs from next month whereby a number of sites will be unreachable if they use CAs which are on the blocklist. There's a list of those here: Certificate Authorities to be removed in January 2016

Prior to my current Cookie manager, I was using Cookie Monster, but that hasn't been updated for ages and over here in Euroland, the EU has forced sites to display Cookie acceptance notices which are a pain in the posterior. CM doesn't appear to handle those very well which is why I switched to CW. But that's also being a pain now.

If anyone resides on this side of the Pond and has found a Cookie manager that works properly I'll be glad to hear about it.
FFman

Re: [Ext] Which Cookie manager do you use?

Post by FFman »

I have no experience with either of those.
I just use CCleaner to clear all cookies once a week except for the ones I want to keep.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

I use Self-Destructing Cookies.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

CCleaner is fail, dont know mozillas structure and demolish database. never ever ccleaner on firefox!
and firefox can do itself pretty good, either prohibit or allow during session (3rd-party coookies)

i have several experiences and my favorites:
- cookieculler (in usage): deletes unwanted cookies at new start (set options in settings!)
- CS Lite Mod for faster settings (for my personal comfort, it can be done in firefox itself, but not that fast)

out of the box testing purpose
- cookie monster
- self destructing cookies

out of experience
- Advanced Cookie Manager

at least i did not experienced none of your issues, maybe you should re-start with a resetted profile?
there is no mismatch between countries, firefox dont know that.
your link to MS root certs do not concern firefox, firefox has its own root storage.
if you have mismatch or ssl sites blocked as untrusted watch out a probably stupid antivirus-program, firefox dont need that and almost all are pain in firefox ass.
I have no experience with either of those.
not sure why you answer then
FFman

Post by FFman »

Brummelchen wrote:CCleaner is fail, dont know mozillas structure and demolish database. never ever ccleaner on firefox! ...
I have used CCleaner for over 10 years and never had a problem! :-)
Whether I have used the mentioned Cookie Managers or not is irrelevant.
I use CCleaner as mine so thought it was worth mentioning since the OP wanted to know which we use.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

streetwolf wrote:I use Self-Destructing Cookies.
OK, I'll give that a go. Thanks.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

FFman wrote:I have no experience with either of those.
I just use CCleaner to clear all cookies once a week except for the ones I want to keep.
Thanks, but I'm looking for something simpler. CCleaner includes lots of options which I would never ever use especially the so called 'registry cleaner'. What a misnomer that is!
FFman

Post by FFman »

Reflective wrote:
FFman wrote:I have no experience with either of those.
Thanks, but I'm looking for something simpler. CCleaner includes lots of options which I would never ever use especially the so called 'registry cleaner'. What a misnomer that is!
I also use the Registry Cleaner every week and have never had a problem.
I use CCleaner because it is simple to use.
You could actually turn all options off and just leave it to clear the cookies although that is obviously not what it is designed for.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Well, for the time being, I've decided to use FFs privacy settings (accepting 1st while blocking 3rd party cookies) in conjunction with an EFF extension called Privacy Badger. The latter identifies tracking cookies which can be seen by clicking the toolbar button on any site. So much for the Firefox DNT option which PB reveals to be largely ignored!

The tracking aspect is what I really want to guard against and PB seems to fix that problem by providing a means to block them just by using the sliders.

Thanks anyway to all who responded.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

did you verify which result are always deleted? simply all time the same, waste of time. some results are protected by windows itself.
ccleaner is best with exceptional use, NOT regular!

dont worry, you will get it some time later. trust me.

concerning "privacy badger" - uBlock origin includes a hosts file versus ad- and tracking servers (ATS list) - thats same. and is can block ads like adblock and can replace more than 10 extensions.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Brummelchen wrote:
did you verify which result are always deleted? simply all time the same, waste of time. some results are protected by windows itself.
ccleaner is best with exceptional use, NOT regular!

dont worry, you will get it some time later. trust me.

concerning "privacy badger" - uBlock origin includes a hosts file versus ad- and tracking servers (ATS list) - thats same. and is can block ads like adblock and can replace more than 10 extensions.
I've had CCleaner, but didn't like it. It only scans the HKLM hive and leaves HKCU intact. Completely useless in that respect. So no, I won't be getting it again.

I was looking at uBlock, but ABP works pretty much the way I want and has the advantage of being able to use the Element Hiding Helper and the Webmail Ad Blocker too. I removed the checkmark which allows some ads, so I don't get any at all.

But even with Privacy Badger installed, cookies galore were appearing in FF privacy cookie menu so I had a look through what else was available. Much to my surprise, I saw that Cookie Monster has been updated so I installed that again. But it instantly deleted the PB button. I don't have a clue where that went and have logged a Q on the Github site.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling PB again, but to no avail. It didn't go to the Customize menu and I don't have a clue where it is anymore. Since it's useless without the menu which is only accessible via the toolbar button, I've uninstalled it again.

Such is life....
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

cookies galore were appearing in FF privacy cookie menu
ofc cookies are set - you need websites functional in privacy mode. but they are not stored after leaving privacy mode.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Issues_relate ... e_Browsing

uBlock has its own picker and it also blocks webmail ads - and it also can hide they newer ad line in gmx mail view.

privacy badger has a heuristic engine, not bad but i prefer ublock with its outstanding features. and it does not consume that much ram as abp, a tenth maybe. if you like give it a try. support is here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2965271

concerning ccleaner - its not useless - its an examining tool when some ran into trouble. if you dont feel comfortable with it - uninstall ;)
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Brummelchen wrote:
cookies galore were appearing in FF privacy cookie menu
ofc cookies are set - you need websites functional in privacy mode. but they are not stored after leaving privacy mode.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Issues_relate ... e_Browsing
Perhaps I wasn't quite clear about what I was referring to. I hardly ever use private browsing actually. What I was referring to was the Firefox Privacy menu i.e. this link: about:preferences#privacy and the "Show cookies" menu. Without PB enabled that was filling up fast with tracking cookies. Installing Cookie Monster seems to have made a difference to that now.

ABP does have a privacy anti-tracking subscription, but I need to allow some trackers through such as when doing online banking or making online purchases. Maybe it's just a Dutch thing with our weird and not so wonderful cookie policies that these things are necessary.

With PB, I could simply disable it when necessary with a click of the button. It's a damn nuisance that I can't get the button to show now and I've had no response from either the PB support site at Github, or an email from the CM developer.

I've read about uBlock, but it looks to me to be just a duplicate of ABP. As regards memory usage, I've got oodles of that stuff on this machine and the thought of saving a few KB doesn't inspire me to switch to it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ublock is more than ABP - as i wrote it can replace a dozen of other extension easily. additinal it has already a picker (ABP need element hiding helper), it owns a ad- and tracking list (you can disable or enable if you need some of those - whatch out the matrix
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/ ... uick-guide
ignore the left column in advanced mode - around middle of that site --> creating "noop" rules (grey, green is "allow")
ublock blocks by default using the ATS-list (enable hosts-file in the list), you need to noop or allow if blocked.

the ATS-list is also against DOM-storage cookies. before i get along with ublock i already used the ats-list from hosts-file.net in windows -> HOSTS file.
that is a feature ABP dont offer. and thats why i dont care about privacy badger - i already have that with ublock.

concerning memory again - it does not matter if you have 10 sites (tabs) open but it matters if you have 20/50 or 100.
considering ABP needs 20megs (and that is not far from reality -> about:memory -> measure) for each site, ublock 2megs - calculated for 20/50 or 100 sites? and ublock is definitely faster in filtering

sound curious and like advertisement but ublock is the UBER ad or tracking blocker.
whatever - if you feel lucky and suited - stay with it - no problem for me. ;)

cookie-monster - consider it as a additional help for deny/allow policy. sneak options for a more granular handling than firefox.
cs-lite mod only does a handy job for firefox settings. for keeping or cleaning up cookies i use cookieculler. that is uber for cookie dealing - while firefox keep some 3rd-party cookies cookieculler only keep those i want (between restarts).
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p