What needs to be fixed to make 0.7 a success?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
David James

Post by David James »

Let's really fix <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178597">autocomplete="off"</a>.
This ought to get us on the good side of banks, etc.

And my old favourite, autoscroll. I had a private chat with kilyn about this and content load URL in which he came up with a reasonable suggestion. We could sort of replicate what Konqueror does. If you middle-click in the rendering area, Konqueror will assess whether or not it looks like a url (it must look for a "abcd.efg" type pattern since mozilla.org and news.bbc.co.uk etc. without any www or http:// works). If Konq determines the buffer contents to be a URL, it loads it. If it determines it not to be, it runs a Google search on it instead. Here's where we would split: If FB determines the contents NOT to be a URL, it would engage the autoscroll instead. Problem solved, though Mouse Gestures would still have an issue. I could file a bug/RFE on this if there is sufficient interest?
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

David James wrote:If Konq determines the buffer contents to be a URL, it loads it. If it determines it not to be, it runs a Google search on it instead. Here's where we would split: If FB determines the contents NOT to be a URL, it would engage the autoscroll instead. Problem solved, though Mouse Gestures would still have an issue.

You kinda lost me here. If Firebird determines the content is not a URL, then could it simply ignore it and do nothing? Why would the autoscroll have to kick in?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
David James

Post by David James »

daihard wrote:
David James wrote:If Konq determines the buffer contents to be a URL, it loads it. If it determines it not to be, it runs a Google search on it instead. Here's where we would split: If FB determines the contents NOT to be a URL, it would engage the autoscroll instead. Problem solved, though Mouse Gestures would still have an issue.

You kinda lost me here. If Firebird determines the content is not a URL, then could it simply ignore it and do nothing? Why would the autoscroll have to kick in?

Right now the two features - ContentLoadURL and Autoscroll - are in direct conflict (I've tried it out, and the latter seems to "win"). If we do as above, then both can exist together, so Linux users (and I suppose anyone else) can use them both. Of course if you disable autoscroll then only ContentLoadURL functions (and what's more, accidental loadings of non-URLs won't do anything, whereas now they give an annoying error message or they seem to invoke a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search). And if you disable ContentLoadURL then only autoscroll works.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
dittohead

Post by dittohead »

making firebird a success...

i think adding 'back' 'forward' 'refresh' and 'stop' to the '-remote' would be awesome!!. lineak (lineak.sourceforge.net) currently only supports a couple of internel sound commands, and any externel commands (like xmms -f), but not macros.

i want to be able to use the back and forward keys that are just above my left and right keys.

that and i want a freetype2 and gtk2.2 as default building of firebird!!!
YFan

Re: What needs to be fixed to make 0.7 a success?

Post by YFan »

Blake wrote:What do we need to fix to make 0.7 a success?

Bug fixes:
Bug 206029 - Flash plugin install problem.
Bug 212556 - Mouse scroll and text boxes stop working at certain sites if minimized and then maximized again.

Feature:
Full Capacity sidebar, including News
iamnotniles

Post by iamnotniles »

Spaz wrote:The four things I would work on is:
getting the downloads to download properly. Everytime I try to download a rar file it displays it in the browser in ascii characters.

Having some sort of Mimi type manager in which you can add in the types manually or edit what is currently in their.

well there is a new MIME type thing in the nightlies. I it's displaying as ASCII then you know who's fault it is.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

David James wrote:Right now the two features - ContentLoadURL and Autoscroll - are in direct conflict (I've tried it out, and the latter seems to "win"). If we do as above, then both can exist together, so Linux users (and I suppose anyone else) can use them both. Of course if you disable autoscroll then only ContentLoadURL functions (and what's more, accidental loadings of non-URLs won't do anything, whereas now they give an annoying error message or they seem to invoke a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search). And if you disable ContentLoadURL then only autoscroll works.

Understood. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Not having used autoscroll, I had no idea what it was.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

David James wrote:Let's really fix <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178597">autocomplete="off"</a>.
This ought to get us on the good side of banks, etc.

And my old favourite, autoscroll. I had a private chat with kilyn about this and content load URL in which he came up with a reasonable suggestion. We could sort of replicate what Konqueror does. If you middle-click in the rendering area, Konqueror will assess whether or not it looks like a url (it must look for a "abcd.efg" type pattern since mozilla.org and news.bbc.co.uk etc. without any www or http:// works). If Konq determines...

Sounds like a maintenance-prone piece of code if I've ever seen one :-)

I'd be happy if they'd implement an link "field of invincibility" against autoscroll. Basically, the cursor needs to be delta-X, delta-Y away from a link before autoscroll would get enabled...
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

faxmaster

Post by faxmaster »

How about changing the profile folder name from phoenix to firebird?
Just the fax, ma'am.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

faxmaster wrote:How about changing the profile folder name from phoenix to firebird?

I personally don't think it needs to be changed for 0.7 release. It's probably going to happen eventually, but not of any importance now IMO.
mozdave

Comments

Post by mozdave »

To the person who mentioned Pinstripe, the plan is for this theme to become Firebird's default on OS X. It will replace Qute on that platform. Qute will remain the default theme for Windows and Linux.

As for TBE, there are some features that we'd like to implement, but in some cases TBE has implementations that aren't desirable, e.g., the way it forces open windows into new tabs. My understanding is that it actually lets the window open and then it shoves it into a tab and closes the window (this also severs the window.opener connection that is supposed to exist between the two windows).

We want to fix that at the C++ level and really make the initial window open right in a new tab.

Some tab features that we would like to see incorporated into Firebird (patches welcome):
(1) Ability to drag/drop to reorder tabs
(2) Ability to force windows into new tabs always (hard, anything that just hacks JS is inadequate)
(3) Ability to drag a tab out of the tab strip and drop it into another tab strip or to drop it on the desktop and have a new window get made

Features that we will not accept:
Tons of prefs for tabs just because you don't like our defaults (e.g., where tabs open, where tabs close, close boxes on tabs, etc. etc.). Adding a bunch of geeky configurability options is perfect for an extension.
tve

Re: Comments

Post by tve »

mozdave wrote:We want to fix that at the C++ level and really make the initial window open right in a new tab.

Some tab features that we would like to see incorporated into Firebird (patches welcome):
(2) Ability to force windows into new tabs always (hard, anything that just hacks JS is inadequate)
(3) Ability to drag a tab out of the tab strip and drop it into another tab strip or to drop it on the desktop and have a new window get made

This sounds great, thank you. :)

The lack of an Advanced options panel and the missing "single-window mode" were the only two things that really annoyed me, since these are too essential to be put in extensions.
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
seb

Post by seb »

mozdave wrote:We want to fix that at the C++ level and really make the initial window open right in a new tab.

Yeah! Is this planned for 0.7 or for a later milestone?
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

mozdave wrote:To the person who mentioned Pinstripe, the plan is for this theme to become Firebird's default on OS X. It will replace Qute on that platform. Qute will remain the default theme for Windows and Linux.

As for TBE, there are some features that we'd like to implement, but in some cases TBE has implementations that aren't desirable, e.g., the way it forces open windows into new tabs. My understanding is that it actually lets the window open and then it shoves it into a tab and closes the window (this also severs the window.opener connection that is supposed to exist between the two windows).

We want to fix that at the C++ level and really make the initial window open right in a new tab.

Features that we will not accept:
Tons of prefs for tabs just because you don't like our defaults (e.g., where tabs open, where tabs close, close boxes on tabs, etc. etc.). Adding a bunch of geeky configurability options is perfect for an extension.

Dave this reminds me time and time again why I love the work you Firebird developers are doing. Keep it up!
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x