Disable plugin-container, in firefox 43

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
zanqdo

Disable plugin-container, in firefox 43

Post by zanqdo »

I never install flash player, I just grab the NPSWF32..dll file and put it in the plugins folder of Firefox.
Prior to 43 version of version, I could just delete plugin-container and flash player worked fine. but now with version 43, if I delete the plugin-container.exe, flash player wont show up, it will just show a black square. but if I leave plugin-container WITHOUT deleting it, flash player works along with plugin-container. I dont like plugin-container, specially when using a proxy, because it requests several firewall permissions,

Could someone help me with a solution? As I mentioned, prior to 43, I could just delete plugin-container and flash player worked.
therube

Re: Disable plugin-container, in firefox 43

Post by therube »

> I just grab the NPSWF32..dll

How, from where?

What does about:plugins show?
What does Addons Manager -> Plugins show?

> Prior to 43 version of version

I can't use your steps and get FF 42 to work either.

Have you also set dom.ipc.plugins.asyncInit.enabled;false?

With that, FF 42 does work, but FF 43 does not work.
Don't know why that would be?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Plugin container can longer be disabled, see this bug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1194780

It's a problem on my system too, I always kept it disabled because performance is far better without it. If you want to keep OOPP disabled for as long as possible go with 38ESR, that's good for 3 more updates.
zanqdo

Post by zanqdo »

therube wrote:>

Have you also set dom.ipc.plugins.asyncInit.enabled;false?

With that, FF 42 does work, but FF 43 does not work.
Don't know why that would be?
I have tried a lot of "about:config" changes and nothing, since version 29 until version 42, everything was working, but now 43 is enforcing the us of plugin-container, which freezes my computer and does a lot of unnecessary firewall requests.
zanqdo

Post by zanqdo »

marty60 wrote:Plugin container can longer be disabled, see this bug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1194780

It's a problem on my system too, I always kept it disabled because performance is far better without it. If you want to keep OOPP disabled for as long as possible go with 38ESR, that's good for 3 more updates.
Do you mean IT CAN NOT LONGER BE DISABLED? or is it just an issue(bug) that will be resolved? I use "PCXFIREFOX", I dont think I would like to use ESR. If plugin-container can not longer be disabled, then I will just use 42 to watch videos, and later versions to surf the web. Thanks for the reply, if you manage to find a way to disable plugin-container, post it.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

That bug posted above was filed by one of the developers to remove the code that disables OOPP. So yes, plugin-container.exe will now always load with all plugins and there's no opt out.
therube

Post by therube »

CHANGE: In preparation for multi-process content in future releases, single-process mode is no longer supported for NPAPI plugins. The preferences under dom.ipc.plugins are no longer used.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
zzzzzzzzzz

Post by zzzzzzzzzz »

marty60 wrote:That bug posted above was filed by one of the developers to remove the code that disables OOPP. So yes, plugin-container.exe will now always load with all plugins and there's no opt out.
There is also now a bug filed to revert the changes, to once again allow the disabling of the plug-in container.

That bug is available on Bugzilla:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1348630

I do recommend that those that dislike the change to not allow use of plug-ins in-process participate on the bug's report page or vote for the bug.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

There's no need to bump these old threads.
Locking due to old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking due to the age of the original posts.