Ff43 need cookies enabled to show pictures. [Solved]

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
mzorg

Ff43 need cookies enabled to show pictures. [Solved]

Post by mzorg »

Hi,

since firefox v 43 i have to enable/allow cookies on a specific website to be able to see pictures.
with firefox v 42 and below i did not have to enable/allow cookies on that website to be able to see pictures.

i thought that its maybe a problem with an addon and disabled them all, but it did not helped.
so i tried a fresh portable version of ff 43 without any addons or so, but it stayed the same, i have to enable/allow cookies with it too.
i also tried a fresh portable verson of ff 44 nightly, but the same as with ff 43.

one thing i realized, that maybe could be helpful:
when i use noscript addon i see all domains of the scripts that are used on that page.
that website needs scripts from reddit.com to be able to show the pictures.
with cookies disabled there is no reddit.com on the noscript list, but after enabling cookies reddit.com appears in the noscript list.

what could be the problem and/or what i have to do to see the pictures on that website without enabling/allowing cookies.

p.s.
i do not post the name of that website, because its an adult website and it is surely not allowed to post it here.
it is a slideshow like gallery website

thank you for reading
Last edited by LIMPET235 on December 27th, 2015, 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] as per the OP's request.
LoudNoise

Re: FF 43 need cookies enabled to show pictures on website

Post by LoudNoise »

What happens in Firefox Safe Mode? This is a testing mode.

Help ---> Restart Firefox with add ons disabled.

This is different than simply disabling your extensions.

Btw, thanks for not posting a link. You are right.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mzorg

Post by mzorg »

its still the same, i have to enable cookies.

like i wrote: even with fresh/new versions of firefox i have to enable cookies.

so i think that mozilla changed something in their code, that is different than in v. 42 that is causing the problem.

is there maybe a site that compares the changes between two firefox versions?

EDIT:
i found a site that shows the default preference differences between v43beta and v42:
http://cat-in-136.github.io/2015/11/dif ... fault.html

i also tried for testing to copy a fresh prefs.js from version 42 to a version 43 firefox, but it did not help.
same behaviour as with normal ff 43.
so it is maybe something deep in the code of firefox and can not be changed by normal users.
therube

Post by therube »

> on a specific website

URL?
You can still post it, just break the link, http: www .some .site .com/some.page
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

FWIW, Reddits terms of use... get used to it or dont use it and ask for your money back
Cookies
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject first- and third-party cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
https://www.reddit.com/help/privacypoli ... kie_policy
From > https://www.reddit.com/help/privacypolicy
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
mzorg

Post by mzorg »

i know that i could post the url, but i do not post it because its an adult/nsfw website.
the website is not a website owned by reddit, it just use some scripts from reddit.

also it worked with ff 42 but now with ff 43 i have to enable cookies, so i thought that mozilla made changes, that i maybe could change back by myself to make it work like ff 42.
but it seems to be a deeper problem for what i could not identify the reason.
or it is a new "feature" of ff 43 and its impossible to change and will stay forever.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Default Cookie handling has not been changed in Firefox. If a website wants to set a cookie to record your visit you have a choice... allow the cookie or hit the road.... find a website that uses a different method of recording your visit like recording your IP address and you will feel better.

There are extensions for managing Cookies that you could use. I dont block cookies so I cant suggest one. Maybe someone will post a suggestion.
Last edited by JayhawksRock on December 26th, 2015, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You might try using portable firefox to see if it happens. This is an easy to be certain it isn't be caused by profile issue.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
therube

Post by therube »

(As far as cookie handling itself is concerned, this bug may or may not contain some relevant links, Depends...? Bug 1235199 - Cookie preferences broken in Seamonkey.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

OK, I can confirm, with the site in question, between FF 42 & FF 43, something changed pertaining to cookies.

by setting: network.cookie.cookieBehavior;2 - No cookies are allowed

FF 42 would display the pictures
FF 43 does not

(Further inspection will have to wait... Perhaps, Access to Web Storage (i.e. localStorage and sessionStorage) from third-party IFrames is now denied if the user has disabled third-party cookies (bug 536509)? If it is that, then perhaps the fact that FF 42 worked was only by mistake & had a cookie setting of '2' worked properly, it likely would not have worked before either.)

KB: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.cookie.cookieBehavior
mzorg

Post by mzorg »

if it could be a bug that is fixed with v 43 than there is no chances it will change to old behaviour (like v42) with further versions.
seems like i have to deal with it.

thank you all for your help.

this thread can be marked as "solved"