Best practices and troubleshooting converting an ext.?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
dmellem

Best practices and troubleshooting converting an ext.?

Post by dmellem »

Hi,

I want to help with a couple of projects that have a "help wanted" for converting an extension to SeaMonkey. These extensions do not work with the add-on converter and, while setting some of the development preferences helps to get some information, I don't know enough about troubleshooting an extension to know why it's failing (best I can do is write to the error console). The FAQ here also seems out of date.

Any suggestions on where to go to get more information on troubleshooting extensions, whether it's XUL, WebExtensions, or something else, and helping to port Chrome and Firefox add-ons to SeaMonkey?

Or, is anyone willing to mentor me on fixing an extension that used to work, but now only works in Firefox?

Thank you.
Brummelchen

Re: Best practices and troubleshooting converting an ext.?

Post by Brummelchen »

either you try to convert it
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2837921
or you fix it or you write it new from scratch

i think best is to ask @seamonkey community
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/community

me thinks that seamonkey never would get webextensions - it never get the latest engine like firefox.
at least seamonkey is going same way like palemoon (vice versa). i wont count too much on those two.
dmellem

Post by dmellem »

Thanks for your response. I tried the add-on converter already and it doesn't work in this case. I'd like to help fix the extension, but I'm not quite sure how it all works. I started with the SeaMonkey community page, but that links back here for forums.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

well, read yourself ;)
viewforum.php?f=51
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

You can discuss it in the addons converter thread, but in order for folks to offer help, the extension in question would have to be publicly available online for them to try:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2834855

And yes, Chrome extensions cannot be converted to work for SeaMonkey, they would simply have to be completely rewritten for that purpose. Not that I would imagine there are too many Chrome extensions that provide services that are missing from the existing catalog of SM and converted Fx extensions.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
dmellem

Post by dmellem »

Thank you. The add-ons are publicly available. I'll try posting in the converter thread, then.