[ext] WikiLook 2.0.0!!! [[Developers Wanted!]]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
TestPilot

[ext] WikiLook 2.0.0!!! [[Developers Wanted!]]

Post by TestPilot »

WikiLook

First, this project is about Wikipedia and Wiktionary. One of the major reasons why Wikipedia project was so successful, was easiness of contribution. "Anyone can edit!" Same true about WikiLook. You are very welcome to open WikiLook.xpi (and .xpi is just renamed .zip), try to improve it in any way, and then send it wikilook@googlegroups.com

It will be published here, on AMO.

Second key feature of Wikis are communities. There are numberless open source projects out there that were abandoned by developers, simply died out after developers lost interest in the project. And, speaking of WikiLook, even before trying to improve it, please take a look at wonderful script created by User Lupin, and now known as MediaWiki navigational popups. By improving it, you will not only help WikiLook, but dozens of thousands Wikipidians/Wiktionarians who are using it on daily basis! Just checked, I personally started to use it in a year 2006... And if you think of a bit wilder scope... There are thousands languages out their. With many languages having hundreds, if not thousands communities (primarily by interest in different areas of editing). And all thous communities do evolve. Wikipedias change name spaces, add templates, introduce new features(it actually started without having a way to post pictures!). And, sure, they all do simple web sites redesign. Even wikicode would be evolving on the long run. Just like HTML now coming to version 5.0. Look at Wikia, the commercial sister projects... Could one developer, or even team support/track changes that happens to in all thous project? Not without being evolving and open to those communities, not without actually being helped by them. And that is what EXACTLY happened to Lupin script. I doubt he could speak Portuguese or Italian(he might, idk really). But what happened, people from different parts of the world, came, used feature "anyone can edit" (at least they all had a very easy and transparent way to introduce/suggest changes). And now Navigational Popups support more then 70 different languages.

Are Lupin popup script perfect? Not even closet to! Example to compare not very far. It is right here, called WikiLook :wink: old parser, in WL2 options it is named 'native'. That OLD parser supports automatic definition of main word form (i.e. giving users JUST information that "incunabula" is a plural form "incunabulum" and that "yammering" is a present participle of "yammer" are not very helpful, or at least not always helpful, and both examples are English btw) . Or ability to play audio on load of definition(since WL 1.4.0). And better (IMHO) handling of context templates, it is easier for user to distinguish beginning of definition with a just a quick look. Etc and so on. BUT!

There are absolutely nothing that could not be ported/introduces into Lupin script! It is already have half a hundred different options to set. And sure, different knowledge of particular language, different interests(I almost never wondering about etymology, so WL old parser don't showing it) etc it all require different settings and implementations. And again - Wiki style. YOU think something is important - go write/add it :twisted: Talking about old parser, it not only supports just one language, but is also HTML based. I actually made French and Russian versions last summer, but saw no point in releasing - they would have broken, and I would not use them personally to catch bugs and fix them quickly (most likely they are broken by now). English part broke several time during a year(somewhere around this very forum someone was even posting how to fix WL once it was broke and I was away). So, the way to go is clear.

And that way have potential to help Firefox users. And Wiktionarians. And Wikipedians! WikiLook never been advertised like the way I do now (and before I was not even thinking this way). But nine people somehow found a way to subscribed to WikiLook Mozdev email subscription (now we have moved to Google Groups, by the way, jump in). And iirc I was using WikiLook maillist to communicate to Andrew Krizhanovsky when there was only two of us - he was the one who started to actually use the feature. Three out of those nine subscribers even made some coding :roll: I really hope I wont be only one who can approve/add new versions of WikiLook to AMO for long. If you interested in project and would like to be an admin, I'll add you as WikiLook dev on AMO page. It still somewhat secure. I would be able to dismount harmful code well before Mozilla editors will look into it. And it almost impossible to pass throw Mozilla security review, and that would be needed to affect any substantial number of users. But I believe, just like with Wikipedia pages, even pages totally open to visualization, benefits of being open still outweigh some risk of and actual damage to project... And now I thinking of few other ways to make project even more open.

Final word! WikiLook is a recommended by Mozilla add-on. And right now top voted by users add-on by rating in it own category - Language Support (was surprised myself 8-) ). And I hope it will become much better 8-)

PS. Excuse my English :oops: That is why I needed WikiLook on the first place :mrgreen:

EDIT: We switched mail list hosting from Mozdev to Google Groups. Updated URLs.
Last edited by TestPilot on May 20th, 2009, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
city_zen

Re: [ext] WikiLook 2.0.0!!! [[Developers Wanted!]]

Post by city_zen »

Hi, TestPilot!
First of all thank you for developing this great add-on. I use WikiLook on a daily basis and find it extremely useful.
I'm glad to see that you keep developing it (and asking for help too! :) ). Although I don't fully understand what changes you made to WikiLook in this new 2.0.0 version, it looks like it's a big step forward (by the way, could you post a list of those changes in the main add-on page?)
I've already installed version 2.0.0 and I'm happy to report that so far I've seen no problems, but I haven't tested it thoroughly yet.

I'll do my best to help this project. Keep it up.
TestPilot

Post by TestPilot »

Ahh! How could you miss it? Highlight Monica Lewinsky with you mouse, press and hold Ctrl, do Right mouse click. Then try to set one of parsers to http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com (you can set options by right clicking on WikiLook icon), do above mentioned procedure again, and be amazed with results:)

Yeah, thank you! Fixing some basic stuff atm, hopefully 2.0.1 is coming tonight. And it will incorporate changed from David's Law hack, and probably would have improved css, thanx to David again. And I need to actually start referring to popup references from within the code. And temporal fix for uppercase letter searches for wiktionaries...
city_zen

Post by city_zen »

TestPilot wrote:Ahh! How could you miss it? Highlight Monica Lewinsky with you mouse, press and hold Ctrl, do Right mouse click. Then try to set one of parsers to http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com (you can set options by right clicking on WikiLook icon), do above mentioned procedure again, and be amazed with results:)

It's not that I missed it, I did notice there were a number of changes in the new version. It's just that, without a detailed list (think bullet-point) I can't be sure that I've noticed ALL changes and, more importantly, that I know how to benefit from those changes. I did explorer the options and, while playing with them, discovered the different possible parsers (great feature!), but I'm not sure every user knows what a parser is. By the way, what is "native"? In your opening post you said that it is the OLD parser used by WikiLook. So, is WikiLook 2.0 using the same parser by default or is there a NEW one? (I guess the former, but it's not very clear). Where is the NEW parser? Or are the NEW parsers those that can be configured in the options? And how does the Lupin popup script play into all this? Maybe I'm not in one of my most brilliant days, but those are all things that I don't quite get ](*,)

By the way, and since you are already making changes to WikiLook, may I suggest one feature that I really miss? That would be the ability to set the background color in WikiLook options. It's not that I have anything against green :lol: , but I'd rather use some other color for that. I know that we can already do that by editing a file (that's what I do right now with every new version of WikiLook) but a simpler way to do it would be a welcome addition.

Thanks!
DavidOE

Post by DavidOE »

TestPilot wrote:...it will incorporate changed from David's Law hack, and probably would have improved css, thanx to David again.

I'm pleased that my little hack was useful. There's a lot more that can be done to the CSS in terms of cross-site compatibility, fixing errors and general cleaning up. I've posted to https://www.mozdev.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilook about this.

Big thanks to Vitaly for making this extension - and encouraging community involvement. :)
TestPilot

Post by TestPilot »

city_zen wrote:not sure every user knows what a parser is. By the way, what is "native"?

That is the old code that go for HTML code of English Wiktionary. Native - because it was used in WikiLook 1.*.* Navpopup parser do not works with HTML, it parse/recognize/translate Wiki Code that is used to create Wikipedia/Wiktionary articles itself. For example if someone will change {{plural of|word}} template so it would use another wording or another shrift or different formatting(italicizing/font size/color etc.), that would break HTML parser and make it to stop working but will have no effect on wikicode parser.

In your opening post you said that it is the OLD parser used by WikiLook. So, is WikiLook 2.0 using the same parser by default or is there a NEW one?

WikiLook 2.0 have both parsers, old and a new one :) Old one called "native" and work ONLY with English Wiktionary. New one you can make to work specifying any URL instead of "native" string in options dialog.

Where is the NEW parser? Or are the NEW parsers those that can be configured in the options? And how does the Lupin popup script play into all this?

Whole Lupin script is a new parser :) WikiLook is watching for hot keys, taking words that were under mouse pointers, set user preferences and then call Lupin code with parameters and, violla, user is getting popup on his screen. Or, alternatively WikiLook can call "old"/"native" code, the one that was developed during WikiLook 1.*.* times. But that one will define words using only English Wiktionary.

By the way, and since you are already making changes to WikiLook, may I suggest one feature that I really miss? That would be the ability to set the background color in WikiLook options. It's not that I have anything against green :lol: , but I'd rather use some other color for that.

David changed that green to yellow! :P I so miss that green :cry: , so I might think of such preference, to provide users the way to restore that awesome green back... :twisted:

Hope it is more clear now!

PS. Sorry for late reply. That whole thing with bug in WikiLook 2.0.1 and how it was handled by Mozilla completely thrown me away! Happy it is over now!
Last edited by TestPilot on May 20th, 2009, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TestPilot

Post by TestPilot »

DavidONE wrote:
TestPilot wrote:...it will incorporate changed from David's Law hack, and probably would have improved css, thanx to David again.

I'm pleased that my little hack was useful. There's a lot more that can be done to the CSS in terms of cross-site compatibility, fixing errors and general cleaning up. I've posted to https://www.mozdev.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilook about this.

Big thanks to Vitaly for making this extension - and encouraging community involvement. :)

Welcome and thank you for joining! David agree to help with cross site compatibility and general CSS help.
Thomas_BA

Post by Thomas_BA »

Great work. Installed 2.05. Only one problem. It breaks 'Download Statusbar'.
TestPilot

Post by TestPilot »

Thomas_BA wrote:Great work. Installed 2.05. Only one problem. It breaks 'Download Statusbar'.

Fixed in a latest revision of WL2.0.6beta.

Please install from here: http://downloads.mozdev.org/wikilook/wikilookbeta.xpi

*Popups are highly customizable through about:config now. You can
    change size of the picture("popupImageSize"), menus, make info of how
    long ago article was last edited to be no longer shown
    ("popupLastModified") etc and so on. Some properties(primarily event
    dependent) could not be adjusted or will do nothing on change. Please
    read "Advanced" tab of the option dialog for more information.

*Parser URL is shown inside popup div. So now it is clear where
    information came from.

*Dedicated action menu by default. So it is easy to click main article
    link now.

*Mouse selection work again(???).

*Fixed issue with Download stutusbar.

*Restored easter egg.

*Removed "please try ctrl"(still need to come up with better way).

*Removed SAMPA (but not sure, if people placing it in Wiktionary
    articles, so someone out there actually using it?)

Please also make sure that WL2.0.6 you are using is marked as released
23 May in Option dialog in About tab.
If it marked as 19 May release, please give mozdev hosting 1 hour to
update all the mirrors and redownload wikilookbeta.xpi again.
city_zen

Post by city_zen »

TestPilot wrote:Hope it is more clear now!

Yes, thanks a lot for your detailed reply. It definitively is more clear now :)
I've been trying to use the new parser, but so far the "old" parser seems to give me better information. :-k Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I have to set some advanced options for the new parser to work as I want. I will be exploring that. And I'm also looking forward to new versions where the advanced options can be set from the main "Options" dialog

I might think of such preference, to provide users the way to restore that awesome green back... :twisted:

Ok, great to hear that. Are there plans to move all CSS formatting to the css files (eliminating the formating from the js files), like David suggested? Should I pester David about that? :D

Anyway, thanks to you both for the continuous development of this great add-on

P.S.: I've just read your post about the new WL2.0.6beta, I will try it ASAP
DavidOE

Post by DavidOE »

city_zen wrote:Are there plans to move all CSS formatting to the css files (eliminating the formating from the js files), like David suggested? Should I pester David about that? :D

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do - I had hoped to have it done by now, but... you know how it is - clients pestering me take precedence. ;)

P.S. If you want to discuss WikiLook development, head over to http://groups.google.com/group/wikilook
junaidi

Re: What codes from wiktionary triggers to open the second w

Post by junaidi »

Hi Test Pilot and David One,

What wikilook detects and triggers the second pop-up (window) underneath the first one ?

http://i33.tinypic.com/mrs405.jpg

As you can see in the picture, the English Verb thanked - past tense
- triggers the second window with the meaning of main verb thank .

What codes to put in the host ?
I like to put it in wiktionary when creating past tense verbs - so
that it appears like the en.wiktionary domain.

Thank you :D

(This is not relevant to Developers wanted topic )
phunkateer

Please update WikiLook to work with FF44

Post by phunkateer »

I have collected the solutions to make this great add-on working... the two explanations describe the same solution, so you only need to follow one of them.

With FF 43, you need to change the options in the browser to make your modified "unsigned" add-on working, and after FF 44, it will not work!

"Firefox 43: Firefox will have a preference that allows signature enforcement to be disabled (xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config).
Firefox 44: Release and Beta versions of Firefox will not allow unsigned extensions to be installed, with no override."

------

SOLUTIONS:

a)

With ff21, I get a syntax error in the error console, that stops wikilook 2.7.0 from finishing loading.

In the file chrome/wikilook/content/wikilook.js line 4746 is not valid syntax in the newer javascript engine:

globalPackageWL.WikiLook_Overlay.PMaker.WLWTajaxCallbackImpl(res.expandtemplates.*);

Changing that line to an alternate equivalent syntax:

globalPackageWL.WikiLook_Overlay.PMaker.WLWTajaxCallbackImpl(res.expandtemplates['*']);

works for me - all of wikilook is functional with ff21.

Contrary to what has been mentioned, I don't see where wikilook is using the deprecated E2X syntax.
In any case, that wouldn't require a complete re-write.

Alan

---

b)

To get the full file name, you have to know the path to Firefox's profile. Do this:

Enter this special URL in the address line: about:support
You'll get a page with title "Troubleshooting Information".

In the top third you find a table with "Application Basics"; it contains a row "Profile folder" with a button labeled "Show Folder". Press the button.
An Explorer window will open showing the location and the contents of your profile. Now you'll have to navigate through several levels of sub-directories...
Open folders extensions, then wikilook@testpilot. You are now on the level Alan was when he said "In the file chrome/wikilook/content/wikilook.js line 4746 is not valid syntax".
Dive down through folders chrome -> wikilook -> content. Now you can see file wikilook.js. Select it (don't execute). Terminate Firefox before you edit this file.

Editing wikilook.js may be a problem for the inexperienced user. There are 2 options:

Use a good editor (as I did) which can handle Unix line-breaks (Windows' Notepad cannot, see below).
You can drag & drop the file into the editor's window (if that doesn't work, you now know the full path of the file anyway).
Then go to line 4746 (or do the search shown below) and apply Alan's change.
If you have no other editor than Windows' Notepad, do the following: Right-click at wikilook.js and select edit from the menu (not open, don't double-click).
This will load the file into the Notepad editor. Bad surprise: the whole text is shown as one huge continuous line! But you're not lost. Just search (Ctrl+F) for res.expandtemplates.* and apply the change. (res.expandtemplates.* => res.expandtemplates['*'])
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

phunkateer... Thanks but...
Please, in future, check the date before posting. O.K.?
This thread died on Sun 22nd Aug 2010.

Locking this relic.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)