Caldav login problem

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Nick Baird

Caldav login problem

Post by Nick Baird »

Hi

We have been using Seamonkey and Lightning for a while to sync with a local caldav server (Radicale). It has been working fine for a couple of years, through various seamonkey and lightning updates.

We are currently using seamonkey 2.39 and lightning 4.4b2.

However, I have just been trying to add a new user. The account has been created on the Radicale server and I have been through the "add calendar" dialog. The dialog allows me to add the caldav server address, but it never asks for a username or password. The calendar then appears, but is "faded out", and can't be enabled in the tick box in the properties window.

The calendar address syntax I used was https://calendar_ip:5232/user/calendar.ics which is how the functioning users are set up. We are using a self-signed certificate, and was asked to accept it on the first connection attempt.

I have tried deleting and re-adding the user on the Radicale server, and I have also tried completely deleting then re-creating the seamonkey profile, neither of which worked.

I think the problem is related to the add calendar dialog not asking for a username and password. Does anyone know why this would be the case? I also can't find a way of manually adding the username/password after the calendar is added.
ssitter

Re: Caldav login problem

Post by ssitter »

Are you still able to connect to an existing calendar when using SeaMonkey 2.39 and Lightning 4.4b2 when using a new created profile, i.e. does it fail only for the new user/calendar or for all users/calendars?

Do you get any error messages or warning messages in Tools > Error Console? In Firefox there were recent changes to no longer allow connections with insecure encryption, for example SHA-1 certificates. I assume those changes apply to SeaMonkey at well. But in this case I would expect at least some connection warning message.
bambuko

Post by bambuko »

Only just found this post.
I also have similar problem with Caldav, see:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14468399
Nick Baird

Post by Nick Baird »

ssitter wrote:Are you still able to connect to an existing calendar when using SeaMonkey 2.39 and Lightning 4.4b2 when using a new created profile, i.e. does it fail only for the new user/calendar or for all users/calendars?

Do you get any error messages or warning messages in Tools > Error Console? In Firefox there were recent changes to no longer allow connections with insecure encryption, for example SHA-1 certificates. I assume those changes apply to SeaMonkey at well. But in this case I would expect at least some connection warning message.
So, I created a new account on the radicale server for another user, and then tried to connect to this new account using the same version of seamonkey and lightning but from a different computer. This user already had calendars set up that sync correctly with google. When I added the new radicale calendar, it failed in the same way. When I tried to add my own calendar on the radicale server (that works for me) on the other users computer, it failed too. Again, no attempt to ask for a username or password.

There are no error messages in the console.

I then tried adding the new users radicale calendar to my computer (where my calendars work fine). It appeared to connect, and the new calendar wasn't "greyed out". I then tried to add an event and it failed with an authentication error in the error console. This is in fact correct behaviour - seamonkey has already stored my username and password against the server ip address, and radicale is set up to allow read-only access by any valid user to any calendar, but writing is only allowed by the calendar owner.

So, it seems that if a user has previously set up and accessed a calendar and seamonkey has stored the username and password, then the calendar works correctly. However when setting up calendars for new users in lightning 4.4b2, the lack of username/password dialog is preventing access.

The self signed cert is sha-256.
Nick Baird

Post by Nick Baird »

Bump!

We are still having the same problem. Lightning now at 4.5b1 on Seamonkey 2.40, and Radicale 1.1.1-1 on Ubuntu 16.04.

The old existing users continue to have no problems, but when I try to set up a new user there is no username/password dialog requested by Lightning, and the user fails to connect.