some privacy addons, need help

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ryle

some privacy addons, need help

Post by Ryle »

hello there, i need some help on how to configure my addons, before i have adblock plus, now i just installed the following: web of trust, ghostery and noscript. after installing them it seems that my ghostery wont let me open the web of trust settings. do i need to have abp, ghostery, noscript and wot at the same time or do i need to remove some? also i need some recommendations on configuring them. thanks :D
Brummelchen

Re: some privacy addons, need help

Post by Brummelchen »

Uninstall: adblock plus, ghostery, noscript, WOT
install: ublock origin
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... ck-origin/

ghostery is fain and causes trouble, wot sucks and is only user based, no superset control
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Not sure what the word "fain" means...I've never seen the word before but I LOVE Ghostery. I don't think you should uninstall it. I think you should also turn on Fx Tracking Protection not just for private browsing but for all browsing and then install the extension Lightbeam so you can better see what Tracking Protection is doing and have some control over it. Either Ghostery or Tracking Protection will nab the trackers at sites. Usually Ghostery will get there first.

In about:config: privacy.trackingprotection.enabled toggle to "true"

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... am/?src=ss
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kukla

Post by kukla »

Brummelchen wrote:Uninstall: adblock plus, ghostery, noscript, WOT
install: ublock origin
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... ck-origin/

ghostery is fain and causes trouble, wot sucks and is only user based, no superset control
I rely on and use ABP, with zero problems. Just uncheck the default "allow some non-intrusive advertising." Not sure what your complaint is. Wouldn't it be better to explain your reasons, instead of throwing out quick one line condemnations that appear "authoritative"?

As for WOT, yes, it's user based, and its results might sometimes need to be taken with a grain of salt, but for the worst malware laden sites, it's usually very reliable--besides, it's often better than nothing, at least to get a quick idea. I run NoScript, and when I really need to look seriously into whether to allow a URL, I check it out with VirusTotal, Google Safe Browsing Diagnostic (for what it's worth) and then even Quttera. Yes, Ghostery can sometimes be a pain (fain), but I don't see any viable alternative. The UI of DoNotTrackMe, at least the last time I tried it, is hideous. Maybe it's changed by now. It's been some time.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ublock can use several (reliable) ad and tracking (ATS) lists (hosts files in settings) and thus ghostery and disconnect and more are futile.

its the unnecessary amount of installed extensions while there is only one needed. ublock is no swiss army knife but it offers o much more under one hood.

i have done my homework. and you?
Compuitguy

Post by Compuitguy »

kukla wrote:I rely on and use ABP, with zero problems. Just uncheck the default "allow some non-intrusive advertising." Not sure what your complaint is. Wouldn't it be better to explain your reasons, instead of throwing out quick one line condemnations that appear "authoritative"?
Well said and same here but without unchecking the non-intrusive ads.