Need help importing Windows Live Mail emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
michaelschofield

Need help importing Windows Live Mail emails

Post by michaelschofield »

I have just taken over as the secretary of a small organisation and "inherited" all emails from the former secretary. The emails are from a PC using "Windows Live Mail" and have been passed to me on a USB memory stick. I use a Mac (OS 10.11.1 El Capitan) and "Thunderbird" (38.5.1)

I have downloaded, and I think installed the "add-on" "ImportExportTools 3.2.4.1" but don't seem able to import the WLM files. When I click on "Tools/Add-ons" it shows that "ImportExportTools" is there, but when I click on "Tools/Import/Mail" it only gives the options for Apple and Eudora. If when I click on "Tools/ImportExportTools" there is no option for WLM and just selecting "Import message" or "Import all messages from a directory" doesnt result in any action or importing. Where am I going wrong?
DanRaisch

Re: Need help importing Windows Live Mail emails

Post by DanRaisch »

WLM messages should be in EML format which can be imported using the ImportExportTools extension.
Before initiating the menu path to the extension, be sure to select a folder in the left hand pane of the main Thunderbird window into which the messages will be imported.
michaelschofield

Thank you Dan. But I just don't see any option for EML in the ImportExportTools. And just selecting "Import" from Tools achives nothing. i.e. nothing gets imported
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What file name extension do the message files on that memory stick have? If you open one of them with a text editor is the content readable or does it look like computer code?
michaelschofield

Dan. I've resolved the problem. The files were not in the Directory marked "emails" on the memory stick. Now that I have foumd the .eml files they imported seamlessly!! Sorry to have wasted your and other contributors time. regards Mike
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not a problem, Mike. Glad to hear that you worked things out successfully.