FF44 third party cookies

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
rbruce1314

FF44 third party cookies

Post by rbruce1314 »

Hasn't anyone noticed this change yet? I can't find any mention anywhere on here ........

'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Privacy' > 'accept 3rd party cookies' - 'keep until'........

Where's the option to 'ask every time' gone? Used to be three options, now the only two are 'till they expire' and 'until I close Firefox'.

That's no use at all if you want to keep your PC (well, FF profile actually) as clean as possible.

Why deprive us of of the most important of the three options - or is there a hidden agenda at Mozilla ???

And is there a workaround using about:config ? Because, if not, that's the end of FF44 for me.
JayhawksRock

Re: FF44 third party cookies

Post by JayhawksRock »

AFAIK, It is what it is... You could go over to Mozilla and rattle their cage I guess. > https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback/firefox/44.0/

So if thats a deal breaker... Have a nice life and enjoy your new browser.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
rbruce1314

Post by rbruce1314 »

JayhawksRock wrote: So if thats a deal breaker... Have a nice life and enjoy your new browser.
Possibly - but I still have FF41 as a separate install. And Pale moon is nearly (but not quite....) as good.

But I'm still amazed that nobody else has commented on it as yet :?: .
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That is a very old bug that got fixed for Firefox 44.
Bug 606655 - Remove "Ask me everytime" cookies option
Bug 1231020 - Badly documented values for cookie prefs
rbruce1314

Post by rbruce1314 »

dickvl wrote:That is a very old bug that got fixed for Firefox 44.
Bug 606655 - Remove "Ask me everytime" cookies option
Bug 1231020 - Badly documented values for cookie prefs
????? Sorry, non comprendo. WHAT was the bug (which way round?) - allowing 'ask every time' or NOT allowing 'ask every time' ?

And does that mean it CAN be overriden in config or not?

Sorry dickvl, previously you have helped me solve all sorts of problems, but this time I'm even more confused than I was before.........
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

rbruce1314 wrote:
No both the GUI and the code behind it have been removed period end of sentence.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
rbruce1314

Post by rbruce1314 »

malliz wrote:
rbruce1314 wrote:
No both the GUI and the code behind it have been removed period end of sentence.
Thanks - nice and clear - and VERY disappointing (if not a teeny bit sinister).

Since removal of the option by Mozilla was a positive action (leaving it as it was would have been the passive option) one has to ask just who benefits from users being forced to accept 3rd party cookies whilst the session is in use, even though I fully accept that in normal use they are (allegedly) deleted at the end of a session.

IMHO even Microsoft do not force as much on their users.... (instead they do give you the legal optout, but instead just hide it under 10 layers of "options" boxes :roll: :( - but at least it's still there :) ).
ZanePhalen

Post by ZanePhalen »

I've also noticed the change in this option, and right away after the upgrade for that matter. I've tried setting the options to prevent third party cookies from set automatically but to no avail.

Like you, I can see no positive reason for this change. And if as Malliz said "the GUI and the code behind it have been removed", it still has some bugs as it does not initially show the options at the bottom when I click on the "Show Cookies" options. I have to put the cursor the boxes before the text appears.

I do not understand the rationale behind this change.

JES
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

The "keep until......" with "ask Me every time" is NOT just for third party cookies but is for ALL cookies.

If Mozilla has done away with this absolutely essential option then Fx 43 is the end of the line for me.

As far as I can recall, this option goes back to when Steve Gibson asked Mozilla to fix their crappy cookie policy and that was around 1.5 I think. I've used the option ever since it was introduced. I use the SAME option on IE all these years and on other browsers. It's NOT a bug! It applies to ALL cookies and to become the worse browser of all browsers regarding privacy in one fell swoop stuns me. Granted, I have not upgraded yet to Fx 44 (and won't be if I can't properly control cookies) but from what I have read in this thread, this is the worse thing Mozilla has ever done as far as spitting on privacy.

Could someone post a screenshot?

(I posted on Pale Moon because on Fx this site thinks I put in the wrong user name...I didn't. I was only give ONE try and then told I had to do captchas. I see no captchas on Fx 43 so I switched to Pale Moon where I don't get logged out like on feckless Fx).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:... this is the worse thing Mozilla has ever done as far as spitting on privacy.

Could someone post a screenshot?
:-k

Sure.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You should still have a "Never" option for third party cookies.
You can also turn cookies on and off if you are going to cruise somewhere you feel you may be violated.
There's also the option to "Keep until I close Firefox" which won't stop abuse by collected cookies but you can go in and remove them or change thier status in the "Exceptions" section of Privacy. Granted it does not have the same meaning but you still have the ability to block sites, allow for session or allow under "Exception."
It may be some of these settings have been removed from Windows version or they show in my system due to the extension "Setting Sanity."
It does seem like a lost convenience but I run without cookies on and only put them on when required. Before accepting I weigh whether the site which needs them is actually worthwhile.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ZanePhalen

Post by ZanePhalen »

Grumpus wrote:You should still have a "Never" option for third party cookies.
Yes I use this option but, the main problem that I've noticed is that if I go to a site I've never visited before, it sets a cookie if I have checked the option "Accept cookies from sites". At that point, I have to delete that new cookie from that new website and put that website in the exceptions list with the option to block the cookies.

I am going to uncheck "Accept cookies from sites" and see how the websites I visit on a regular basis work. I have a feeling I am not going to like what I see or what happens.

JES
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

This was done because of some irresponsible websites that have poor coding and are not respecting cookie settings. Thus, users with settings like I have had, since Fx introduced them many years ago, find a few sites a mess to deal with. The badly coded sites try upwards to 100 times (that is a LOT of clicking and yes I have actually counted that many clicks on a few sites) to get you to accept their cookies. After a large number of clicks these irresponsible sites finally honor the setting that is in the first cookie popup that tells the sites (if the checkmark is there) to handle all cookies as the user designates the first one be handled. These sites ignore your settings whether deliberately or just through sloppy code I don't know but they finally adhere. I don't usually visit such sites a second time and I write the webmasters and tell them why I will not visit their sites. I have never given in though....I have clicked until my fingers were half numb but the sites always finally give up trying to set cookies.

According to Mozilla, this removal is Mozilla's answer to the problem! Since no one concerned about privacy and cookies would consider making everything WORSE, which is what Mozilla has done, one has to has to wonder if this is the REAL reason to rip cookie privacy from us. I mean, the same problem occurs on IE, SeaMonkey and Pale Moon where I have the same settings. Those browsers have not decided to kill cookie privacy as the only way to deal with the situation. Over many years time, I have frequently ported my Exceptions list which is long as it holds all my various decisions regarding cookies and their state of none, no-permanent, or permanent to other computers and to other versions of Fx and other browsers in some cases. If I had been foolish and updated Fx right away to ver 44 that entire many year list would be gone as Mozilla just wipes it away with no warning aforehand.

Mozilla obviously thinks we should either just give in and accept no privacy as the standard now for Fx or we need to go to a very short white list (assuming that if you uncheck "accept cookies from sites" that there still is some sort of Exceptions list for a short white list). I guess nothing Mozilla says now can be trusted since this move shows that they care nothing about privacy.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I've been running for years with cookies blocked and regularly only accept cookies from sites which need them for security, the number is 2 and one of those is only for a single function otherwise access is no issue. Granted I'm not the usual, casual Internet surfer but it seems there's too much cookie crap and most of it comes from the ISPs selling out their users, not so much Mozilla going anti-privacy.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
sryding

Post by sryding »

I noticed the change yesterday at the public library, and when exploring for how to restore the Ask Me Every Time and Session Only, got nothing. I did post a comment when asked if the article was helpful. This change half cripples me. There are some specific sites where I have to allow certain 3rd party cookies in order for them to work, but I don't want to allow ALL of them, or even most of them. And there are many sites I visit that I don't even want primary cookies to be stored. I want that "Ask Me Every Time" option restored. I want to pick and choose which cookies I accept and which I don't and create a white list of allowed cookies. This change means I WON'T be updating to version 44 at home. I'll have to a) find another browser that will work the way I want it to, or b) find an extension that will restore this feature to Firefox. I suspect it's too soon for that.