Regarding a recently locked thread

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
the-edmeister

Regarding a recently locked thread

Post by the-edmeister »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2987495

With all due respect to LoudNoise, please point out the specific forum rule that I broke. I wasn't promoting the use of it nor linking to it. And 2 or 3 mentions of it is enough to lock the thread? And to not send a PM with a "suggestion" to edit my postings to remove "objectionable content" first, before locking that thread? That makes no sense, considering my contributions here for the last 13 years.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
LoudNoise

Re: Regarding a recently locked thread

Post by LoudNoise »

Fairly simple. We have never allowed pirated software here. The rule is that you should understand that pirated software or warz are not allowed here because such a rule isn't necessary for fairly obvious reasons.

Your problem is 100% one of using Tiny7. I didn't PM you simply because you should have known better and the conversation could not be continued without supporting Tiny 7. I would do the same thing if any one of our long suffering support folks did the same thing.

You are asking for special handling because you have been here so long. I shipped it to locked because I am sure you knew better than this and have been here for so long.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Not looking for special consideration, but a PM would have been appreciated and giving me the chance to edit my postings. After all this issue was created by Firefox, so it is a Firefox topic regardless. It's not an obvious reason because it isn't posted in the rules or an official policy; and IMO this hasn't been enforced consistently over the years. MozillaZine is where I first learned about these "Windows" versions in the mid-00's, maybe not in Firefox General or Firefox Support, but in AfterDark or Tech.

I'll drop it deferring to your judgement, but I'm not happy about it.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

If you give me some links I will make sure that they are gone.

If the issue was created by Firefox than I would suggest that you post at Sumo. I am pretty certain it is caused by the fact you are using a Tiny7, No one else has reported that clicking on "Refresh" causes a reversal of rights in Windows here.

You are using a pirated copy of Windows Ed. That was neat and cool when Windows 98 came out. For folks our age it isn't cool anymore.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

That OS was mentioned 4 times, no links that referenced it were provided.

The three links that I provided in the initial posting were to movies in IMDB where the main characters switched bodies, the child became the adult and vice versa. A light-hearted example of what I experienced; movies that I have seen multiple times on cable.

How about this? Edit out all but the first mention of "it" - and move the thread to MozillaZine > Tech where it will be less visible?
Specifically, my 3rd posting - "... which is about a 7 minute totally automated process with Tiny7."
And the 4th where I mentioned it twice. "... - I don't think that Tiny7 retains that feature, at least as far as it being available to the users." and then this line - "Could be that the guy who created "Tiny" removed access, but the 'guts' are still there.".
But leave Win7 Tiny7 in the 2nd line of the initial posting so that people who read and just skim can see what I have. I think those are the only two references that I made to "it".

Asking a technical question at SUMO, surely you jest? The people over here @MozillaZine far out shadow the collective level of knowledge at SUMO - IMO, except for the half a dozen or so people who 'work' both fora that I can identify as 'working' both fora. When I have a question about Firefox, I ask it here. What is it, almost 9 years ago SUMO was founded? I have never asked a support question over there - zip - nada. IMO this fora is where the collective Firefox knowledge of experienced, long term users resides.

Yes, problems with Refresh may have never been been reported here, but thru what therube posted I was able to learn of a feature in Win7 that permits Windows to "swap" a limited account with an admin account. Also, while there doesn't seem to be any other users who have experienced this "swap", I didn't spot it for two days and only discovered it when I was digging around in AppData/ /Firefox/profiles.ini and /Profiles. There might be other people out there that have had their user accounts "swapped" but don't realize that it happened to them. The visual indications are almost nil, and until the user starts poking around in Roaming - App Data they may not even see the "swap".
And the SUMO forum has had innumerable threads about Refresh Firefox, but prior to Firefox 44 - IMO - most have been misunderstandings about what it does, along with users blindly following to "Refresh" based upon the 'perceived age' of the users Profile or when a Profile hasn't been used for quite awhile. But with Firefox 44 there's a slew of reports about Refresh Firefox dumping data that should be saved in the new Profile, and also Passwords becoming lost during the update to Firefox 44 without the user having done a Refresh.

I appreciate your consideration of my request.

Ed
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Who the hell suggested asking a technical question at SUMO?

As for editing the post, not I. Feel free to start a new post without the mention of the pirated software.

We have also had many post about "Refresh", mainly because it is badly explained, doesn't actually fix anything since it is nothing more than a timer, and is a dumb feature. That said, it does not automagically swap windows user privileges. Nor could it.
Post wrangler
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

How about the two of you arrange a time when LoudNoise could move it back and the-edmeister could then do the editing right away? Moz Tech would be the better place for it. I'd offer, but I'm but here as often these days. If you catch me around this time or within an hour prior, I could do it.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

LoudNoise wrote:Who the hell suggested asking a technical question at SUMO?
You said "If the issue was created by Firefox than I would suggest that you post at Sumo."
We have also had many post about "Refresh", mainly because it is badly explained, doesn't actually fix anything since it is nothing more than a timer, and is a dumb feature.
That is a over simplification of one small feature of Refresh. And as you mentioned, it is a poor feature seeing that it provides no to little information in the message banner (and IMO most users don't click the "Learn more" link - they want to use Firefox,not read a KB page) about what the Refresh does and how the user will be affected. If and when a user has extensions installed, it is a big deal when they disappear without prior warning; and the "warning"Mozilla provides is poor to say the least.
I have seen a support posting where a user was out of town on business for 6 months and their desktop PC went unused for 6 months; first time Firefox was opened on the desktop PC it advised the user to Refresh Firefox, which resulted in one pissed off user. But the user was able to recover quickly, he was using Sync with that desktop PC and his laptop, and had the wherewithal to stop and think to use Sync to "fix it". But what really "set him off" was all the prefs for his add-ons were gone. But that's another rant of mine, none to little documentation of prefs for add-on that can be Sync'd via "toggle" prefs in about:config and add-on developers don't mention those prefs on their AMO page.

The main thing Refresh Firefox does is to create a new Profile for the user, and transfer certain user data to that new Profile. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings
This is the data that is copied to the new / refreshed Profile:
Bookmarks - Browsing history - Passwords - Open windows, tabs and tab groups - Cookies - Web form auto-fill Information - Personal dictionary
Refresh 'dumps' all other user data & personalization.

The new Profile gets a new slt prefix with .default as the suffix. In my case Default=1 was named .2nd Profile (a Profile that I created about 6 months ago) - but the "refreshed" name became .default. The

As an example, this is what a Refreshed Profile is named 7c2s0qyn.default-1454043906128
1454043906128 is the time the Refresh as done.
Thu Jan 28 2016 23:05:06 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)

-------------------------------------

Daifne: I appreciate your offer, I'll have to see if I can get online earlier in the day to take you up on that. At least we're in the same CST time zone, unless you have moved.

Ed
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Hi Ed,

Yup, still CST. I'm here...

...and gone again. (9:45am CST)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

It has been moved out locked to here. Go for it kids!
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You will, of course, be allowed to mention Tiny 7. Daifne thinks this is ok.
Post wrangler
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

No I don't. All reference to Tiny 7 must be edited out. Ed, please do so. Thanks.

Since LN has decided to bring it out of locked, I am moving it to Moz Tech were it belongs. This really has gotten pretty silly.