The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Zakharko

Re: The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Post by Zakharko »

Thank you all for clarifying this situation about signing and all that.
Special thank goes to Noitidart for his MouseControl extension and Lemon Juice for his Mouse Gestures Suite extension.
With those two extensions combined I was able to reproduce all needed functionality from Mouse Gestures Redox!
Noitidart

Post by Noitidart »

Zakharko wrote:Thank you all for clarifying this situation about signing and all that.
Special thank goes to Noitidart for his MouseControl extension and Lemon Juice for his Mouse Gestures Suite extension.
With those two extensions combined I was able to reproduce all needed functionality from Mouse Gestures Redox!
Wow no way. Your welcome. Even as the author though, I still wish for Redox revived haha.

Post by 4711 »

Lemon Juice wrote:The reason why the current gestures extensions aren't adopting the 'missing' features is that an extension like this is a lot of work.
Lemon Juice wrote: From my perspective Mozilla with its changes and plans is taking away any fun from developing for their platform - so I wouldn't count on anyone to want to write a full-featured mouse gestures extension for Firefox...
Zustimmung :(
grossdm

Post by grossdm »

I am using Mouse Gestures Redox 3.2pre.20110705 with Thunderbird 45.2.0. It says that it was last updated Friday, 2013-08-02 and it has "(Nightly)" in the description.

After having difficulty finding the addon at AMO, I found this thread and confirmed that MGR is no longer supported.
In fact, I Googled and found the link to GMR on AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... res-redox/. If you follow it, it claims the add-on has been disabled by an administrator.

Clearly my MGR has not been disabled.

Would anyone like me to spend some time digging out the xpi and making it available somehow?

Doug®
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

grossdm wrote:Would anyone like me to spend some time digging out the xpi and making it available somehow?
I can share with you the latest version from my personal collection. Use it at your own risk, of course. I can "promise" I didn't infect it myself but virustotal reports a few malware problems - I have no idea if they are false positives or real threats, the author once said something about them but I didn't really understand it.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Zeokat

Post by Zeokat »

Lemon Juice wrote:
grossdm wrote:Would anyone like me to spend some time digging out the xpi and making it available somehow?
I can share with you the latest version from my personal collection. Use it at your own risk, of course. I can "promise" I didn't infect it myself but virustotal reports a few malware problems - I have no idea if they are false positives or real threats, the author once said something about them but I didn't really understand it.
The warnings given by Virustotal seems false positives. But... maybe is time to use an alternative to Redox :-k
When tecnlogy meets dreams
Noitidart

Post by Noitidart »

Zeokat wrote:But... maybe is time to use an alternative to Redox :-k
No other alternative can compete. I know a friend of the authors, who has the source (he can't share it otherwise it would backstab of redox author) but couldn't make an alternative as powerful as Redox. Redox is just too good.

Post by 4711 »

Noitidart wrote:No other alternative can compete. I know a friend of the authors, who has the source (he can't share it otherwise it would backstab of redox author) but couldn't make an alternative as powerful as Redox. Redox is just too good.
???
solthought

Post by solthought »

Sigh. A moment of silence for what appears to be the final end. I can't believe after all these years of use and workarounds it is over. Thanks for all those who have helped keep MGR going this long. It's always been nice to know I'm not the only one. Time to give up the internet and move into a cave I guess.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

Lemon Juice wrote:
I thought the latest version was 3.2pre.20120202. This 20140215 was developed by Jochen? If not, could you tell me what's the difference from 20120202?
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

pintassilgo wrote: This 20140215 was developed by Jochen?
Yes - see his post. Apparently, the download is still working, I didn't know about it. I think this version has only some fixes for newer (at that time) Fx versions.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Macu

Post by Macu »

solthought wrote:Sigh. A moment of silence for what appears to be the final end. I can't believe after all these years of use and workarounds it is over. Thanks for all those who have helped keep MGR going this long. It's always been nice to know I'm not the only one. Time to give up the internet and move into a cave I guess.
I registered here specifically to say that I'm absolutely gutted to find out that, as solthought said, after all those years of tingling with the add-on, which kelped to keep it going, we've reached a point when there seem to be no way through...

I've downloaded Fire Gestures, but without diagonals, it's absolutely useless...

Really, isn't there any way to sign the bloody add-on? It seems that I'm not the only dinosaur still willing to use it.

Cheers.
Ahaggar

Post by Ahaggar »

Only registered to this forum to keep the "Zombie" alive ;-)

I found a solution to skip the signature problems with Firefox versions greater than 48. It worked for me, hope it works for you too:

Open the installation folder of Firefox. Go to "defaults\pref" and create a file named "config-prefs.js" with the following content.

Code: Select all

pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
pref("general.config.filename", "config.js");
Save and go back to the main Firefox installation folder (where "Firefox.exe" is placed):
Create a file named "config.js" with the following content:

//
    try {
      Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm", {})
        .eval("SIGNED_TYPES.clear()");
    }
    catch(ex) {} 
Just copy the text exactly like above. Then you need to reinstall the xpi file (deinstall mouse gestures redox and then install the xpi file again).

I didn't see in the rules that link posting is not allowed, so I added here the german source:
http://fehler40.blogspot.de/2016/08/fir ... nicht.html
Noitidart

Post by Noitidart »

Ahaggar wrote:Only registered to this forum to keep the "Zombie" alive ;-)

I found a solution to skip the signature problems with Firefox versions greater than 48. It worked for me, hope it works for you too:

Open the installation folder of Firefox. Go to "defaults\pref" and create a file named "config-prefs.js" with the following content.

pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
pref("general.config.filename", "config.js");
Save and go back to the main Firefox installation folder (where "Firefox.exe" is placed):
Create a file named "config.js" with the following content:

//
    try {
      Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm", {})
        .eval("SIGNED_TYPES.clear()");
    }
    catch(ex) {} 
Just copy the text exactly like above. Then you need to reinstall the xpi file (deinstall mouse gestures redox and then install the xpi file again).

I didn't see in the rules that link posting is not allowed, so I added here the german source:
http://fehler40.blogspot.de/2016/08/fir ... nicht.html
Super cool thanks for sharing this!
morat

Post by morat »

Noitidart wrote:Super cool thanks for sharing this!
I hope sharing the hack doesn't get the thread deleted.

In FF 48, how do I enable unsigned extensions? (censored by mods)
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3016811

Ranting about extensions and security (AfterDark)
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3018833