Firefox 43.0.4 Saving All ImageTypes As Jfif

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mike2701

Firefox 43.0.4 Saving All ImageTypes As Jfif

Post by mike2701 »

Hi,

Recently whenever I save an image in firefox to my desktop or a desired folder, the image is saved as a jfif file. This makes it complicated to upload images to my website and I now need to convert all the files before I can use them. It doesn't matter if I "save as" or drag and drop, the result is the same. How can I stop this from happening? I don't want to switch browsers as I've always used firefox but this issue poses a major inconvenience for me when I'm working.
therube

Re: Firefox 43.0.4 Saving All ImageTypes As Jfif

Post by therube »

Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mike2701

Post by mike2701 »

therube wrote:Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
No change, i've done a refresh and even reinstalled firefox after deleting the old date folder. I don't think its a Windows issue either because Chrome saves the images as normal. I ran Malwarebytes as well and found nothing. I'm really stumped by this.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Try doing all that with a new profile... using it as-is for now and see what happens then.

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

In the end you may have to start using that new one... but let us know the results and we will post some other links to help you move stuff over from your old profile.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Post by therube »

> Recently whenever I save an image in firefox

So is this all (jpeg) images or only some?
If the latter, URLs where it occurs?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you mean that JPG files are saved with a .jfif file extension?

Did you try to rename the files or made sure to save the files with a .jpg file extension to see if that works?

Try to rename (or delete) the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox profile folder to reset all file actions.
Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder
*http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

http://kb.mozillazine.org/mimeTypes.rdf
http://kb.mozillazine.org/File_types_an ... ad_actions

You can inspect the MIME database key with the registry editor (regedit.exe) and do a search for that MIME type (file extension) via Ctrl+F.
Be cautious with editing the registry as there is NO UNDO possible: all changes are applied immediately.
You can export key(s) in the registry editor before making changes.
You can check specific file extension keys (e.g.: .jpg) in the registry with the registry editor.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xxx
You can check the linked MIME type in the MIME Database registry key.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\
Athari

Post by Athari »

dickvl wrote:You can check the linked MIME type in the MIME Database registry key.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\
Thanks you, this is what helped me. HKCR\MIME\Database\Content Type\image/jpeg key had Extension value set to ".jfif". I changed it to ".jpg", and the default extension in the save dialog was fixed. Firefox still displays the list of extensions weirdly ("JPEG Image (*.jpg;*.jpg;*.jfif)", before that was "JPEG Image (*.jfif;*.jpg;*.jfif)"), but at least it saves files properly now. I have no idea why ".jfif" was the default in the Registry, since when and why.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

The following could be the reason: (Might be MS system and not Firefox)
Copied from the Jpeg wiki
wiki wrote:The JPEG File Interchange Format (JFIF) is an image file format standard. It is a format for exchanging JPEG encoded files compliant with the JPEG Interchange Format (JIF) standard. It solves some of JIF's limitations in regard to simple JPEG encoded file interchange. As with all JIF compliant files, image data in JFIF files is compressed using the techniques in the JPEG standard, hence JFIF is sometimes referred to as "JPEG/JFIF".
Purpose: JFIF defines a number of details that are left unspecified by the JPEG Part 1 standard (ISO/IEC IS 10918-1, ITU-T Recommendation T.81
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

(*.jfif;*.jpg;*.jfif)
On Win7, default is (only) ".jpg" (& also no *'s).

(Unless Win10 is different) I'd suspect some other (image [editing] related) program made that change (for whatever reason).
(FF did not.)
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

On my Win 7 systems it's *.jpg;*.jpeg;*.jpg
therube

Post by therube »

On Win7, default is (only) ".jpg" (& also no *'s).
Ditto on XP.
zebdaddy

Post by zebdaddy »

I know this is an old thread but I joined the forum to thank dickvl for the registry location HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\JPEG
I was pulling my hair out.
When I was browsing to upload some images the "supported file types" were (jfif, png, gif, bmp) I had to select "all files" to see the jpegs.
It was a small inconvenience, but it wasn't right. It was deep digging to find this and it worked

Thanks again.