Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
BillMullin

Re: Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Post by BillMullin »

Thanks to a tip in another thread I tested the problem with the original theme. I did and that solved the problem! The old theme was Nuvola 1.35, which I guess has problems. Thanks for the help!!

- Bill
BillMullin

Post by BillMullin »

The author fixed the problem. D/L the beta from the bottom of the link if you want the updated copy of Compact Header:

http://mozilla.paenglab.ch/
shimself

Post by shimself »

problems with tb38.2.0 uk - it doesn't compact and I think there was a mouse button top left which has disappeared. I'd post a screenshot if there ewqas some way to do so from local hdd (?)
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

I haven't really understood the extension and the worth of it. Can somebody share two screenshots and share the diff. between them so that dumb guys like me can understand. I also tried on the homepage to get a sense of the extension but didn't really get it.

Look forward to a lucid explanation of the above, also need to know how relevant it is in thunderbird 41.0
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
shimself

Post by shimself »

shirishag75 wrote:I haven't really understood the extension and the worth of it. Can somebody share two screenshots and share the diff. between them so that dumb guys like me can understand. I also tried on the homepage to get a sense of the extension but didn't really get it.

Look forward to a lucid explanation of the above, also need to know how relevant it is in thunderbird 41.0

If you can tell me how to upload an image here I'd be happy to. It's the first one I install
shimself

Post by shimself »

shirishag75 wrote:I haven't really understood the extension and the worth of it. Can somebody share two screenshots and share the diff. between them so that dumb guys like me can understand. I also tried on the homepage to get a sense of the extension but didn't really get it.

here you are
shimself

Post by shimself »

[quote="tanstaafl"]See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum[/quote

Tinypic is a definite improvemnt over loading into my picasa thanks, but still it would be nice to upload directly one day please
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Contact kerz (the admin) if you'd like to lobby for new features. I suggest you use the email link.
almagary

Post by almagary »

The compact header addon did not function at all in my TB 38.3.0 until I removed the addon then reinstalled a fresh copy. It's an essential addon, so I really missed it for a couple days!
meeotch

Post by meeotch »

Two questions: 1) When I enable the add-on, the headers pane in non-collapsed non-full-headers mode acquires a horizontal scrollbar that blocks a large chunk of the bottom of the pane. Switching to full-headers mode removes this scroll bar. What gives, man?

2) The 2.0.10 version seems to break compatibility with the Toggle Headers plugin. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... e-headers/) With 2.0.9, Toggle Headers would give you a hotkey to switch to full headers and un-compress the headers pane in one keystroke. It also remembered the previous setting, so you could re-collapse and switch to non-full headers again. I know it's not the (Compactheader) author's responsibility to maintain compatibility with older third-party plugins, but this was such a great feature that I'd really like to know a workaround (maybe keyconfig code?) to replace the functionality. In fact, I'm sticking with Thunderbird v31 just so that I can continue to run CH 2.0.9.
mattsch

Post by mattsch »

Hi,

I am the maintainer of the above mentioned Toggle Headers plugin and was trying to restore compatibility with CompactHeaders 2.1.0. However, I ran into the following problems.
I can reproduce this problem in CompactHeaders 2.1.0 but not 2.0.9 and also tried TB 38.3.0 (on Mac) with only CompactHeaders enabled (all other extensions disabled).

Steps to reproduce:

• Headers set to Normal
  • Enable Compact
  • Change Headers to All
  • Result: Empty Header Pane
  • Change Headers to Normal
  • Result: Header pane visible but expanded (in the menu, the Compact option is still checked)

The same occurs if at the beginning, headers are set to All.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Previously (up to 2.0.9), toggling the headers between Normal and All would not change anything while Compact was enabled. The Toggle Headers extension took this into consideration. However, with 2.1.0, this does not work anymore. More specifically, it works to change from Compact & Normal to Non-Compact & All, however when switching back to Compact & Normal it results in the header pane not being collapsed (in the menu the Compact option is checked, though).
seren

Post by seren »

Thanks for the great plugin. I ran across a small UI bug: on my Mac, the configuration dialog is too small for the text. I suspect there is a Save/Ok button that is also cut off; I have to use escape to close the dialog:

Thunderbird 38.5.1
CompactHeader 2.1.0
OSX 10.11.3
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

The following warning is issued for CompactHeader 2.1.1beta1 in Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/47.0a2 (BuildID 20160308004011):

Error: DEPRECATION WARNING: This path to Console.jsm is deprecated. Please use Cu.import("resource://gre/modules/Console.jsm") to load this module.
You may find more details about this deprecation at: https://bugzil.la/912121
resource://gre/modules/devtools/Console.jsm 19 null
chrome://compactheader/content/debug.js 55 org_mozdev_compactHeader.debug<
chrome://compactheader/content/debug.js 47 null
bmcs

Post by bmcs »

I have been using CompactHeader for a long time, currently 2.1.0 with TB 38.7.2 (45.0 is not an option) on Win 7 Ult. x64.
I have always had a customized Header Toolbar with an additional "Mail Redirect" icon and everything worked perfectly.
I am not sure when things changed, but now the "Mail Redirect" icon disappears from the Header Toolbar when TB is restarted and has to be customized every time.
Changing themes (including the TB default) has no impact.
Placing the "Mail Redirect" icon on the main TB toolbar works fine, but I would prefer to have it on the Header Toolbar.
Not a major issue, but I would like to find a solution if possible.