"All Bookmarks are gone" - Bring them back!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Filipp0s

"All Bookmarks are gone" - Bring them back!

Post by Filipp0s »

1. Close Firefox; completely. Open the Task Manager [Ctrl+Alt+Delete in winXP] [screenshot] and kill any firefox.exe processes, if still running. [How to kill an application]

2. Skip this step. Browse to your Profile Folder [in windowsXP under C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomname.default\ ] and delete the file parent.lock, if it exists. [Where is my Profile Folder?]

3. Run the Profile Manager [in windows: Start | Run | type firefox.exe -p | ok] and choose the default profile. [screenshot] [How to run the Profile Manager]

If the Profile Manager does not appear, repeat without skipping step 2

To «help us prevent unnecessary data loss in the future», please answer these questions.

[More detailed information: the-edmeister's Problem Solving Tips | rtmjr50's post | AnotherGuest's post]
Last edited by Filipp0s on May 6th, 2005, 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Looks good. You should link it to the FASQ if you haven't done so already.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list
Filipp0s

Post by Filipp0s »

Will keep edmeister's until I hear some feedback :)
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Filipp0s

Post by Filipp0s »

Added link
nmr23

lost bookmarks

Post by nmr23 »

I have not seen this situation described yet: I'm running on a laptop and the bookmarks disappeared when I put it on stanby (Windows 2000, Firefox 1.0.1). When I restarted, any personal information (bookmarks, history, start page, etc) was gone. I looked for and found the files (bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak) but they had already been overwritten. I think I had closed the browser windows before I put the computer in standby mode, but I'm not absolutely sure. It certainly was not running when I restarted. (Although I regularly go to standby mode with Firefox running and have no issues on resuming...)

Which problem did you experience... profile corruption/loss or only bookmark loss? profile loss

Did this happen after a Firefox crash? no

Did your computer crash, or did this occur after a normal shut down? normal standby/resume

Was Firefox open when your computer crashed or was shut down? don't think so

What operating system do you use (and which version)? windows 2000

What is the filesystem of your hard drive(s)? (how to find out) FAT32

What version of Firefox/Firebird were you using when your bookmarks were lost or your profile was corrupted? 1.0.1

If you upgraded Firefox versions, did you create a new profile or upgrade using the old one? (if you don't know, chances are you upgraded, but please say that you are unsure) n/a

If you upgraded an old profile, what version of Firefox/Firebird did you originally use? n/a

Did you lose other files or settings in other applications (including non-Mozilla)? no (not obviously, anyway)

Do you use or have you installed any bookmark-related extensions? no
--
tamguest

Bookmarks (and Custom Toolbars) disappear

Post by tamguest »

I had the exact same issue nmr23 (although I'm at 1.0.4). But when the computer resumes I got a message that Windows had experienced a Severe Error and did I want to report it to Microsoft. I did send the report, but I think it's rather unlikely that MS would help in solving any FireFox related OS glitches.
bluevervain

Post by bluevervain »

I had this happen to me, and I want my bookmarks back. Unfortunately I can't get the -p switch to work. Every time I try it (I'm trying START > RUN > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p) it just opens the browser at my homepage (the one set on the alternate profile I created so I could use the browser when I got the "in use" error) same as if I'd clicked the shortcut, instead of opening the Profile Manager. I've also tried adding -p or -ProfileManager to the target line of the shortcut; same result.

The solution offered in previous posts:
Browse to your Profile Folder [in windowsXP under C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomname.default\ ] and delete the file parent.lock, if it exists.

Doesn't work either, because my computer won't recognize that path, but I got into the folder by going through Properties on the shortcut and clicking "Find Target"--there was no parent.lock file that I could find.

This is making me nuts. I can't get Firefox to open using my old profile. I can't get the Profile Manager open to switch back to it. I'm using Windows XP Pro, does that make a difference?

How do I fix this?
shutterbug

Post by shutterbug »

what about MAC USERS????? is there something i can do to fix this problem on my MAC???????
twitch125

Post by twitch125 »

Didnt see this thread or would have posted this here originally:

Hello there, I am an avid Firefox user and would appreciate some help. I have read the other lost bookmark threads but no situations similiar to mine.

Just a few days ago, my S/ATA hard drive died, not completely, but its almost dead. This was the only HD I used and it had Firefox on it with all my bookmarks and extensions.

Anyways, after my hdd failed I loaded up my PC on an older IDE HD. I now have my S/ATA drive as a slave so I can recover a few files off of it, the only problem is that I need my bookmarks! It seems my bookmarks and extensions have disapeared off the broken SATA drive.

Is there anyways I can retrieve my bookmarks from the broken SATA drive and place them into my FF Directory on my IDE HD? I just got done setting up FF exactly how I wanted and now the drive dies and I cant figure out how to restore my bookmarks =(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bluevervain

Fixed...sort of

Post by bluevervain »

Since I couldn't get the darn thing to switch profiles with -p, I just copied my bookmark file from the profile I wanted Firefox to be using and imported it into the bookmarks of the alternate profile it insists on using in spite of my efforts.
I now have 2 identical profiles, which is kind of stupid, but at least I have my bookmarks back.

Post by Guest »

Sucks. Can't retrieve old bookmark file from anywhere. I lost the file when Mozilla asked to do an upgrade. Hmmm will remember to say "no" next time and save my bookmarks first. Seems as though part of an upgrade should be saving the old file somewhere. Running profile manager was no help whatsoever.... have 2 profiles and both were overwritten.
Kenneth Keen

lost bookmarks, difficulties with profiles

Post by Kenneth Keen »

Show the poor people how to run the profile manager:

Get terminal working and then after whatever is the last thing written type:

/Applications/firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -p

Someone should try and keep this help service up to date and complete instead of half explained bits and pieces where new users are completely thrown. I have spent the last ten days trying to restore my bookmarks, three to six hours a day wasted time. I am still not there but I have at last worked out how to run profile manager! The profiles.ini has also to be changed to stop FF (or as you would like Fx, for some unexplained reason) from starting the whole thing from the start without the bookmarks. I am very close to dumping the lot in the trash, but after ten days perhaps yet another attempt will get me my hard worked for marks!
Konstantino

Post by Konstantino »

This is really strange. I lost all my settings and bookmarks, and that's why I came to read this. But it didn't work. When I closed firefox, there was no sign of a firefox.exe for me to kill the process. Also, for some reason, there IS no Application Data folder anywhere in any directory under my "Documents And Settings" folder. Finally, when I loaded the "default" account after all this, nothing had changed. What should I do?
nmrivera

Post by nmrivera »

When I upgraded to 1.0.4 I lost all my bookmarks. I'm on a machintosh and am not sure how to translate Filipp0s's solution for a PC using the Task Manager and Profile Manager. Any help would be great.

Thank you.