Signature image gets substituted with other image

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
holch

Signature image gets substituted with other image

Post by holch »

I have a problem with my signature sometimes. As far as I can see, this only happens with replies (and maybe forwards).

So in some cases, my company logo in the signature gets substituted with another logo of another company. This only happens in the replies, etc. This is especially annoying because it is of another company that is our client, but in some cases also our competition. And what is more annoying: you usually don't notice it, because it only happens to the signatures in the older messages within the email. So you only see it when you scroll down.

It is always the same image that will substitute the logo of my company. I am not sure why this happens and how this can happen. I can only imagine that this image is somewhere in a Cache or whatever. I did some search already, but I couldn't find the image anywhere on my computer.

How can I get rid of this image? Where are images usually stored within Thunderbird?
holch

Re: Signature image gets substituted with other image

Post by holch »

So no one has an idea? I figured already, that it is an odd problem.

Does anyone know where images from signatures of others would be stored at least?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

All images and other attachments associated with received messages are stored in the same message file as the message text. Thunderbird uses the mbox file format which stores all of the data of the messages in a given folder in a single file.
holch

Post by holch »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response!

Well than it is even stranger that this other file is attached to this email.

Any idea of what I could do to get rid of this image?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I can't even imagine how any image from another message is effecting your outgoing signature. Still...

Try menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network & Disk Space->Disk space->click on "Clear Now" to clear the cache.
holch

Post by holch »

I couldn't imagine either. I will see if it has solved the problem.

Strange thing is that it happens always with this one picture and it happens from time to time, not with all emails. And only within the signature within the reply message, not with the normal signature (in the same male).

Thanks for your help! I currently can't tell if it worked (because of the problem appearing sometimes only), but we'll see.
holch

Post by holch »

So unfortunately it happened again, which means the things tried above did not help. I am getting crazy! ;-)

Where the hell is this image located and why / how does it get into other emails to subsitute the images there???
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The signature file location is selected by the user and defined under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Attach the signature from a file. The only element that I can imagine might relate to the problem you describe is if that cache is not clearing properly. (To be honest, I'm not even sure that the cache is involved in the use of that signature file.)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Just as a wild guess, the composition window is by default "recycled" when re-opened (e.g., on replies) to allow for a better performance than creating it from scratch every time.

In Tools->Options->Advanced->General click on Config Editor. Copy-paste or type part of mail.compose.max_recycled_windows into the search bar to limit the display to the desired setting, which should be 1 by default (enabled). Double-click on that entry to set it to 0 (zero = disabled). Restart Thunderbird to make this change effective.

You could also try setting the disk-cache size to zero in the Network & Disk Space settings, in case the cache is the culprit after all. There have been reports of the editor mixing up images with the same file name/path on sending, thus something as simple as renaming the file of your logo and adjusting your signature's code respectively may help.
thundergoesboom

Post by thundergoesboom »

I've seen the same issue on a Thunderbird 31.7.0 computer I mange (Just this week)

Just once and a while. Seems to be on on forward/reply, and usually with more than one window open. (Happened maybe 3 times in total in the last year)

I'll try the config mail.compose.max_recycled_windows tweak to see if it goes away (but will be hard to tell due to the frequency of it occurring)

Just thought I'd post so that Holch doesn't think they're going crazy :-)

Sincerely

PaulW
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

As a thought, might both image files have used the same filenames, like maybe logo.jpg?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
thundergoesboom

Post by thundergoesboom »

Just an Update

The "mail.compose.max_recycled_window" doesn't do anything bad :-)

Was applied on the 5th of February, and there haven't been any negative results (nor any re-occurrences)

Not 100% if the issue is solved (as its only happened like 3 times in total in the last year)

After reading what "mail.compose.max_recycled_window" is suppose to do, I suspect that it has resolve the issue. Recycling compose window objects could definitely cause an issue if there are left overs not re-initialized.

Sincerely
Heart-WR

Post by Heart-WR »

Hi all,

I am new on this forum, but, just registered to add some more information to this topic.

I am experiencing the same problems, and can add that this does not only concerns signature images, but also other content.

I am not familiair with mbox, but, when projecting this problem to how the DHTML edit control of Outlook Express works, I can explan what goes wrong, which might give you an indication how to solve the problem.

Let's start with a .EML Mime Message. This is one file, containing the entire mailmessage. HTML text, Plain text, images, attachments etc.

When placing an image inside your message (so not an attachment) this is being converterd to "embedded content", with a cid: reference. Looking at the Mime Message, you can see that your HTML text refers to this "cid:" file, and the base64 version of your image is added as embedded content. So far so good.

As far as I know, the DHTML editor cannot show 'cid:' content, therefore, the content is transferred back to a file on disk and you editor can show this image.
You type some more text in your mail, press send, and the image will be converted to cid: again and will be stored in your Mime message.

Ok, but what if during your session, this temporary file gets overwritten?

On saving (sending) the message it will than read the overwritten image, and send that along with your message, causing someone to received an image from some other mail.

In my case I replied on an email on 08:23 and while having this email-tab open. On 08:28 I received another mail which I opened and replied to, before finishing the first mail.
The first mail now contains images that were send to me in the mail that I received in the time I had the first mail opened in another page.
So, if the mail from the 2nd page overwrites the temporary saved images from the first mail, and sending the first mail would retrieve the (than overwritten) images again, you have this situation.

The solution could than be: use more unique names for the temporarily saved embedded content (f.e. add the boundary name to it).

Hope this helps (and you are able to solve this problem).

Best regards

Wouter
ZeeBulon

Post by ZeeBulon »

Hi all,

for quite some time (more than one year) I have been observing scary aspects as follows:

1 upon replying to an incoming eMail message with graphics in the footer, the graphics is (randomly) exchanged in the outgoing mail.
2 not only graphics are exchanged, also text from recently sent messages is often appended to the reply-message.

These effects may severly violate confidentiality aspects and as a result, Thunderbird may not be fit to be used as a serious eMail client.

Hoping that the team will analyze and repair this.

best regards

Panjasan