Message won't download . . .

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bruce L.

Message won't download . . .

Post by Bruce L. »

Hi: Running W7, just updated TB #38.6.0 to 38.7

I have TB set to not download any messages beyond 900 KB. When I do get one larger and I click the "Download rest of message" command, all I get is a blank page. If I d-click the message, it opens in a separate (as it should) window but it is also blank.

If I hit the "Reply" button I get a new window but the "To" field is blank. Although the sender's name and addy is quoted in the body of the "Reply" message, beyond that the body is empty (it is set to automatically quote the message).

Beyond this problem, TB works as it should, according to my settings. Help?
Last edited by Bruce L. on April 28th, 2016, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Message won't download . . .

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
It is set up as POPMAIL.

I opened TB in safe mode, then I sent myself a large attachment from my Yahoo account. When it came in I clicked on "Download the rest of the message" and it worked correctly.

Extensions used: "Filtaquilla" and "Send Filter," both of which I need to make the filters work the way I want them to.

Also is "Lightning 4.0.7", some calendar thingy that I DID NOT install manually. I don't want it and am removing it right now. But I suspect the problem I'm having has something to do with the filter add ons?
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Hmm, I removed the calendar extension (that I never asked for), repeated the above exercise of sending myself a large attachment, and it downloaded as it is supposed to. So the calendar was the problem???

I will test some more over the next day or two and see what happens.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Okay, now it's not working again. I still have the two filter extensions but I touched nothing else.

I got a 1 mg message, and the same thing happened as in my OP. :(
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There have been problems with the way Lightning (the calendar add-on) was bundled with Thunderbird. Its not the actual add-on that is at fault. Uninstalling it, downloading the same add-on from the Mozilla add-ons web site and installing it works around the problem. Personally, I use ReminderFox instead as my needs are minimal.

Supposedly the features of the Send Filter add-on are now built-in. I don't have that add-on but have a "After sending" checkbox in the filter rules window.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

tanstaafl wrote:There have been problems with the way Lightning (the calendar add-on) was bundled with Thunderbird. Its not the actual add-on that is at fault. Uninstalling it, downloading the same add-on from the Mozilla add-ons web site and installing it works around the problem. Personally, I use ReminderFox instead as my needs are minimal.

Supposedly the features of the Send Filter add-on are now built-in. I don't have that add-on but have a "After sending" checkbox in the filter rules window.
I uninstalled Lightning a few days ago per my previous post. I don't want it or anything similar.

I set the filters up nearly two years ago, and don 't remember all the ins and outs of why I needed those add ons. Are you saying you think I don't need the "Send" now? I guess I can disable it and see what happens.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Are you saying you think I don't need the "Send" now? "

Yes.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

tanstaafl wrote:"Are you saying you think I don't need the "Send" now? "

Yes.
I disabled the "Send" extension, sent an email, and it filtered correctly. So good for that. :D

Now I have to see if any incoming over 900kb will download correctly (per my OP).
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Ok, neither computer is downloading large attachments correctly. I'm still getting the same problem as in my OP. :(

Both PCs running W7, latest version of TB.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know why its having a problem downloading the rest of the attachment. However, one workaround would be to get rid of your 900KB size limit in the disk space settings and configure Thunderbird so that it only fetches the headers for any message larger than 900KB. You then have to click on a link in the message body to download the message. This might work better because you never have to deal with a partial download. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_only ... P_messages .

Besides setting Tools → Account Settings → account_name → Server Settings → Fetch headers only you'd create a message filter for "Size (KB)" "is less than" "900" with an action "fetch from POP server"
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Could this possibly be because of a problem with my provider's email server?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The Yahoo POP server periodically has problems. If that is whats causing the problem I'd expect them to fix it in a couple of days.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

tanstaafl wrote:The Yahoo POP server periodically has problems. If that is whats causing the problem I'd expect them to fix it in a couple of days.
I'm through Frontier, and they do have ongoing email problems -- so could that be the root of my problems with this?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Could be, but I can't tell.