Can't play Vimeo videos

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
quickquestion

Can't play Vimeo videos

Post by quickquestion »

I have tried to play dozens (literally) of Vimeo videos, on the Vimeo website, and on other sites. Not a single one ever plays. There is no error message. When the play button is clicked, I see an image, but there is no playback happening. I can click anywhere on the timeline and see the corresponding image, but the play button will not work. I don't see anything obvious by using F12, but I'm not too experienced with that tool.

Windows 7
Firefox 43.0.1
JayhawksRock

Re: Can't play Vimeo videos

Post by JayhawksRock »

The video on the main page works for me... plays as HTML5. But giving its size/quality I must let it buffer for some time before it can play reasonably smooth. On WinXP, allowing cookies.. and blocking No content
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

We have a pretty high speed 'net connection; have never had any video in all my internet browsing buffer longer than a dozen seconds or so. Changing the resolution settings does not change the behavior.

In case it's relevant, I seem to recall changing some setting(s) somewhere a while ago in an effort to stop the incredibly annoying auto-play of HTML5, or something like that...
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Maybe somthing here will help > https://vimeo.com/help/faq/watching-vid ... ack-issues
I'm out.. Good Luck
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

I've already checked that.

Hopefully, someone will have the right bits of knowledge to clear it up.
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

JayhawksRock wrote:The video on the main page works for me.. plays as HTML5..On WinXP
i didn't think FF's HTML5-video would work, with windows xp?

the videos at "vimeo" also worked for me however i have my computer configured to always use "flash player" for playing videos, so the videos at "vimeo" were playing in "flash player", on my computer..

my computer is running windows xpsp3..
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

Someone else is using windows xp, not me. My computer has windows 7.
redwolfe_98 wrote:the videos at "vimeo" also worked for me however i have my computer configured to always use "flash player" for playing videos, so the videos at "vimeo" were playing in "flash player", on my computer..
What/where is this setting?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

redwolfe_98 wrote:
JayhawksRock wrote:The video on the main page works for me.. plays as HTML5..On WinXP
I didn't think FF's HTML5-video would work, with windows xp?
XP will play WebM VP8 and VP9 HTML5 just fine.
http://www.webmproject.org/users/

I do not have Adobe Flash enabled on this setup...
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

quickquestion wrote:I have tried to play dozens (literally) of Vimeo videos, on the Vimeo website, and on other sites. Not a single one ever plays. There is no error message. When the play button is clicked, I see an image, but there is no playback happening. I can click anywhere on the timeline and see the corresponding image, but the play button will not work. I don't see anything obvious by using F12, but I'm not too experienced with that tool.

Windows 7
Firefox 43.0.1
I've discovered something more...

Setting "media.autoplay.enabled" to "true" allows the video to play. (Odd, I've never had this problem with youtube videos, and I watch a lot of those.)

However, this is not an acceptable solution. I need autoplay disabled because it's effin' annoying. And I need a way to play vimeo videos.
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

...and apparently this is a known bug in Firefox, of some time now...

tsk tsk
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

FWIW I went to the Vimeo site and nothing would play unless I set media.autoplay.enabled to true.

I'm on OSX with FF45.0.1

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

RobertJ wrote:FWIW I went to the Vimeo site and nothing would play unless I set media.autoplay.enabled to true.
Yep. Until there's a fix in Firefox, I won't be watching any vimeo stuff. Can't stand autoplay.
therube

Post by therube »

quickquestion wrote:Firefox 43.0.1
Any reason you're not up to at least FF 43.0.4 ?
dozens (literally) of Vimeo videos
Some URLs?
the play button is clicked, I see an image, but there is no playback
Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
changing some setting(s) somewhere a while ago in an effort to stop the incredibly annoying auto-play of HTML5
As a test, create a new, clean Profile, load Vimeo & see if videos play.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Rorge Retson

Post by Rorge Retson »

Wow. I am having the same issue, and here it is, January of 2017.

Same deal - Vimeo vids do not play. Set media.autoplay.enabled to true, they play.

Which sucks, because I am not going to enable media.autoplay.enabled.

Grrr.
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

Yup. I can easily get youtube vids to play by simply clicking the time bar (or whatever you call it). No reason why Vimeo shouldn't work the same, but they won't implement a solution.

therube:
Am currently on the latest version. Problem has persisted since before the previously posted version, up through the current on.
URLs: every single vimeo vid I try to play.
Safe mode: no difference.

Maybe yopu have a Extension installed that can affect videos from playing.