Notification has no submit or save button

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
badbiosvictim

Notification has no submit or save button

Post by badbiosvictim »

I read the article on Firefox notifications but it lacks instructions. How to save the notification setting? For example, when I log into one of my email accounts, Firefox pops up asks whether I would like notifications. I click on the drop down box to select always. There is no submit or save button. Firefox never notifies me of new mail.

Could you please update the article on Firefox notifications to include details on how to activate it?
Grumpus

Re: Notification has no submit or save button

Post by Grumpus »

Is the query as to whether you'd like notification in a small window?
If so, sometimes Firefox windows in Linux distributions need to be opened up.
I find this occurs sometimes in /edit /preferences with some of the sub-panels.
Try making the window or panel larger and see if the buttons show up.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
badbiosvictim

Post by badbiosvictim »

You are correct I am using Linux. AntiX MX is the name of the distro. How to open up Firefox windows in preferences? How to make the window larger?

What are the options for notifications? Firefox gives only notification which is only for this session. Clicking on the drop down box gives only one option: not now.

Is there supposed to be a submit or a send button?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Could you please update the article on Firefox notifications to include details on how to activate it?
A very, very small number of people who work with this board access the knowledge base ... that is, in the area of authorization to change it... and I'm not sure where one would post that request...

Anyway, I'll assume that Linux displays the same type of Firefox Options as found in this Windows system... so, if you click on Options/Content ... what do you have set up for the Do not disturb me ... and what do you have in the window that displays when you Choose button?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@badbiosvictim - my reference on the window size was more for panels or windows where your cursor would be allowed to drag the corner, sides or top.
Examples are the exceptions and show cookies panels under /tools/options/privacy/history/cookies panels.
Sometimes the lower buttons are not visible.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

badbiosvictim wrote: Could you please update the article on Firefox notifications to include details on how to activate it?
Hi,
You can post your request in this forum...
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=105
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
badbiosvictim

Post by badbiosvictim »

Preferences > Content > 'Pop-ups,' 'fonts and colors' and 'languages.' There is no 'Don't disturb me' nor is there a 'choose' button.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Your Content settings page doesn't look like the one in this link?

Settings for web content, pop-ups, fonts, and languages | Firefox Help
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

On my system tools -> options -> content matches whats described in Settings for web content, pop-ups, fonts, and languages , but the control center for the current web page that is displayed when you click on the (i) icon in the address bar doesn't have a menu next to Permissions with a "Always Ask, Allow, or Block" notification option like Web Push notifications in Firefox claims it does. Even if I go to MDN Notification and select "always" when asked if I want to receive notifications. It only has a "set cookies" list box (with Allow, Allow for Session, and Block). Not a list box for "Notifications". I have to go to about:preferences#content to manage the web pages notifications.

badbiosvictim wrote:

Both the Mozilla and the MozillaZine web sites have their own knowledge base. We are not run by or formally associated with Mozilla despite the similarity in names. Both knowledge bases tend to have articles on the same topics (ours are frequently more technical) but I don't believe we have one on Firefox Notifications. I think you're talking about a KB article on the Mozilla web site . Try selecting "discussion" in the "editing tools" list box for that article and post a request.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Some of these disappeared settings can be available by adding SettingSanity 1.0 and Classic Theme Restorer.
To note, sometimes, as with Classic Theme Restorer, one has to return to the default setting and re-implement the custom CTR setting.
This seems to affect the Setting Sanity visibility of various items on the content page. Took a little bit of time to figure it out.
There are drop down panels for the two items shown under Permissions - use the camera, use the microphone.

@tanstaafl - I have the same form as you state but it could be the writer of Web Push missed a step.
There is an arrow or some form of arrow like item to the right of the named page which once opened shows a simple security reference.
But. . . there is also a "more information" bar which leads to the panel and tabs you would have when clicking on /tools/Page Info.
badbiosvictim

Post by badbiosvictim »

LIMPET235 thank you for the link to the forum. I submitted a request for a tutorial.

dfoulkes, thanks for the link to a description and screenshot of the content page. That helped. My content page does not have notification settings. Screenshot of my content page: http://imgur.com/5RMmQvl

tanstaafl and Grumpus thank you for your help in this thread and in my other threads. I will follow your instructions and update this thread.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

badbiosvictim wrote: There is no submit or save button.
With a few rare exceptions, FF preferences take effect immediately, so there is no need for such buttons. Actually receiving notifications would seem to depend on the correct functioning
of a service on Mozilla's end, and of course the website sending them properly.

What a wonderful new ad-delivery mechanism the boys and girls at Mozilla have created for us!

EDIT: Also note that notifications are not a feature of FF versions prior to 44, so wouldn't be in Iceweasel versions based on the FF LTS releases.